Wiki Posts
Search

Rear suspension setup help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Rear suspension setup help

Hi guys. I participated in my first on road race yesterday, and am happy to say i had an absolute blast!

One slight problem though. The car was great at the start of the race, but towards the end the back end would be come loose. Both under breaks and on power through the slower corners, after a long and a small straight.

When i got the car home, and took off the wheels (i was using pre-glued sorex 36r with the schumacher wheels they come on) both rear wheels had this:

Right Rear

Left Rear

what can I change to prevent this?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i'm not an expert but it seems to me that your wheels were scrubbing against something; loose hingepin? grub screw?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Heres what they are rubbing against, any ideas on how to stop it?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

Looks like it could b hitting the top of the ballcup. I would suggest using open faced ballcups like the ones for the team losi type r sedan. When I had a schumacher back in the day the ballstuds were bigger than losi and associated so u migjt have to get different ballstuds also.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you might be able to shave a bit of material off the top of the ball cup. doesn't look like it would take much to stop the ballcup from touching. with the two rings on your rims, your ball cup might have been getting stuck in those two grooves momentarily and causing some weird handling.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Attach the wheel and visually confirm where they are rubbing when they spin.

I may be wrong but doesn't look like the ball cup is very scratched up.

If not the top link it can also be the spacing of the hub carrier in relation to the lower arm. If too forward or aft the lower arm will rub the wheel. Move the spacers around the hinge pin to adjust clearance (the shorter, outboard pin).

As mentioned if its the ball joint cup then just shave off material until it doesn't rub.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

You were right rc_square. It's actually rubbing underneath on the arm. All I could see to change on the car was the height that the lower arm sits on the hub carrier. I adjusted that, and seems to have corrected the problem, but also added 2mm to the rear ride height. I've adjusted the preloading on the front springs to even out the ride height a bit. I'll take it to the track and see how it handles when I can. But I guess I can take some of the preloading on the shocks off if it feels funny. I'm still very new to all this so I have alot more to gain from practice rather then setup tweaks, so it shouldn't matter to much.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wollow86
You were right rc_square. It's actually rubbing underneath on the arm. All I could see to change on the car was the height that the lower arm sits on the hub carrier. I adjusted that, and seems to have corrected the problem, but also added 2mm to the rear ride height. I've adjusted the preloading on the front springs to even out the ride height a bit. I'll take it to the track and see how it handles when I can. But I guess I can take some of the preloading on the shocks off if it feels funny. I'm still very new to all this so I have alot more to gain from practice rather then setup tweaks, so it shouldn't matter to much.
There is a plastic spacer/washer between the carrier and the lower arm visible on the 2nd picture of your car. Can also try moving that to the other side of carrier.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Marks are on both sides of the arm. What effect would moving that spacer have normally?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

It could also be rim diameter. Had the same issue with my TA05. The front end ballcups where rubbing against the inside rims. I went with a tire that had more internal space, and that fixed the problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
It could also be rim diameter. Had the same issue with my TA05. The front end ballcups where rubbing against the inside rims. I went with a tire that had more internal space, and that fixed the problem.
Any recommendations?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Any recommendations?
Just get a file and shave off some of the ballcup on the top.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Any recommendations?
Well, I will tell you to avoid using Speedminds. Those were the tires that caused the problem. I switched to Sorex and Much More tires. But it's best to find out how much space the the arm takes up before you go and blow money on new tires.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Marks are on both sides of the arm. What effect would moving that spacer have normally?
I would remove that spacer, looks like a 2mm, and replace it with 2off 1mm spacers, one each side of the carrier, this will make the wheel more central on the carrier.

Skiddins
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm, its weird that both sides of the arm is scratched. When you check it with the wheel on does it look like there is not enough clearance on both ends of the arm? If so then youre right moving that spacer wont change anything so switching to the middle hole may be best. I see there are three holes for the carrier and on the lowest one (as in pic) it may cause the arm to be too close to the inside of wheel.

What does the tire have anything to do with this? Do you guys mean the wheel?

Maybe you can post a pic with the wheel on the car so we get a view of how it looks like when installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.