Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Beginner Buggy

I need some help deciding which buggy to get this summer. I currently race electric indoors (2wd buggy and 2wd short course) and ran a Revo outdoors last year. I'm looking at the RC8B and the 8ight 2.0. Parts support at LHS is good for both. The 8ight 2.0 rtr seems like the best value as I could sell off the radio as I already have one. Is the difference between the Losi rtr and the kit/race roller going to be noticeable to a novice? How does the 8ight 2.0 compare to the RC8B? I have no preference in brand and don't mind building up from a kit. I don't mind spending money but it's a lot harder to come by these days and I don't want to waste. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mototech
I'm looking at the RC8B and the 8ight 2.0. Parts support at LHS is good for both.

Two great cars you'll be happy with either one, the losi RTR's are better.

Is the difference between the Losi rtr and the kit/race roller going to be noticeable to a novice?
I dont think a novice will notice, but once you get into it you will.

How does the 8ight 2.0 compare to the RC8B?
RC8B>LOSI2.0 - a bias opinion

I have no preference in brand and don't mind building up from a kit. I don't mind spending money but it's a lot harder to come by these days and I don't want to waste. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
If money is not a problem get the RC8B kit and fill will whatever you please

Hope this helps a little
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

I'm still a newb and never been in a race but I've been practicing with the 8 2.0 rtr and currently finishing a RC8B build.

If i have to do it all over again I would skip the Losi and get the RC8B kit. Comparing the 2, the RC8B is a straight up racer with more adjustments, beefier plastics, and has more attention to detail like rubber boots for the rear cva joints. RC8B also already has the flex tuned chassis (gotta pay $124 more for the 8 rtr).

Also i got my RC8B kit for $350 on eBay and I've seen it got sold the lowest for 300 (ebay auction) and this was around jan of this year.

**correction: my bad, RC8B don't have the flex tuned chassis only "Light-weight 3mm hard-anodized chassis"

Last edited by mk74; 04-01-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should go to the track and see what their running. Both are good cars, I like the RC8, but help at the track is very inportant. And don't let the fan boys sway you, it's a lot of money for set up the first time around, so see who going to help with set-ups. My 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I need some help deciding which buggy to get this summer. I currently race electric indoors (2wd buggy and 2wd short course) and ran a Revo outdoors last year. I'm looking at the RC8B and the 8ight 2.0. Parts support at LHS is good for both. The 8ight 2.0 rtr seems like the best value as I could sell off the radio as I already have one. Is the difference between the Losi rtr and the kit/race roller going to be noticeable to a novice? How does the 8ight 2.0 compare to the RC8B? I have no preference in brand and don't mind building up from a kit. I don't mind spending money but it's a lot harder to come by these days and I don't want to waste. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
Here is my take: You can't go wrong with either kit. The Losi comes with a nicer 2.4gig DX3S radio(but if you already have it, then its basically a waste of money). The RC8 though comes with a stronger more powerful .28 engine and a spinstart system(The Losi comes with a bump box). The actual rollers themselves are both excellent. I personally favor the RC8 a bit more and think its built with slightly better quality parts that are a bit more durable overall, and the car itself is very forgiving to novices, but can easily be updated with FT parts and when the new RC8 updates come out late spring, it will be able to be updated with them. The RC8 RTR kit can be had for $425 shipped through Tower Hobbies, the Losi kit will run you in the $575 range shipped. So the RC8 will cost about $150 less which will give you money for some upgrade parts as you see fit(like a nice pair of top shelf servos).

I myself own the SC8,RC8 and RC8T, and really love the platform,(And I own 2 Losi LST's and an SCTE 4x4 SC truck and am a big fan of Losi products too) so for the actually kit roller Id lean towards the RC8(as I think its an easier car to setup and tune to be competitive), but either kit is going to give you a nice quality roller to start out with. You just gotta figure out what gives you the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK for the dollar spent.