Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah right! You were faster than him.

Problem was I counted two minor mistakes by HT and about five or six by you over the eight minutes.

I'll give props where they are due. You get more out of that old overweight plastic tub TC4 chassis than anyone.

I gave up on mine and went with that Spec-R and immediately jumped to being one lap off your pace. I don't know how you do it.

Last edited by .crispy; 03-24-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by edonsohc
What's the difference between the square and triangle hinge pin blocks? I've seen it on here, but can't find it.
location where they are mounted, traingle in front, square in rear, they are not interchangable.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a tc3 but I'm thinking about picking up a tc4. What are the advantages to the tc4 over tc3?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Tech Addict

I have a tc3 but I'm thinking about picking up a tc4. What are the advantages to the tc4 over tc3?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowclod
Better adjustability of roll center and kick up using suspension shims and more durable suspension hinge pins.

Better arrangement of upper suspension links and shock mounting positions but those can be transferred to the TC3 with a simple parts swap.

Motor mount was also redesigned in all aluminum for better cooling along with chassis "ground effect" cooling slots.

Chassis reinforcing spine was narrowed to allow the batteries to sit closer to the center of the car. This is a modification that many TC3 racers made for better weight distribution.

Steering linkage was redesigned so it wouldn't jam from small debris getting caught in the steering rack like it does on the TC3. It also allows for easier Ackerman adjustment. Here again, you can use the TC4 steering knuckles on the TC3 to gain some of those adjustments. In my opinion, the TC3 rack is better from a performance stand point.

What'd I miss?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

- The TC4 has a different rear input shaft mount that secures from the bottom of the chassis. Not sure if this is an advantage over the TC3, other than you won't strip out the chassis holes.

- The TC4 front bumper mount attaches to the chassis and (front) diff case vs. the TC3 front bumper being part of the front a-arm mounting system. The TC4 bumper is better because it can't bind up the front suspension, it doesn't seem to bend down over time, and you can use shorter body mounts.

- The TC4 uses larger diameter inner hinge pins (on the a-arms) which are more durable. The TC3 inner hinge pins are more likely to bend under a large impact.

- The TC4 rear shock tower has the body mounts on the outside vs. the TC3 rear shock tower body mounts on the inside. The wider body mounts can help with body stability.

- The TC4 sway bar mounts on the a-arm use screws and are easier to install compared to the TC3. Both models use the diff case for the upper sway bar mount
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

thx for the info guys! i'm going to pick one up just because the price is to good to pass up. not sure what im going to do with it yet. most likely vta. we only have one on road track here in phoenix and its 30 min away from me
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Awesome a TC4 megathread. Sorry I'm a new member here and if these questions have been answered already.

First question I guess is would I be able to get a spare 4-40 locknut for the steering rack from anywhere else besides through Team Associated? I know the one I need sits flush inside that connector piece. But it seems highly annoying that I can't go out and find a standard 4-40 locknut say from Lowes or Home Depot. Anyone know if I'd be able to go into a radio shack? None of the hobby stores locally carry the Team Associated one and I don't wanna wait any longer to play with my TC4 lol
Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evilcon666
Awesome a TC4 megathread. Sorry I'm a new member here and if these questions have been answered already.

First question I guess is would I be able to get a spare 4-40 locknut for the steering rack from anywhere else besides through Team Associated? I know the one I need sits flush inside that connector piece. But it seems highly annoying that I can't go out and find a standard 4-40 locknut say from Lowes or Home Depot. Anyone know if I'd be able to go into a radio shack? None of the hobby stores locally carry the Team Associated one and I don't wanna wait any longer to play with my TC4 lol
4-40 small pattern locknut, dont think you will find it at hardware stores, easily found online.

EBAY

TH
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Next time you go into your LHS, walk through the Du-Bro or Great Planes aisles. You'll find PLENTY of 4-40 hardware there. I saw your post on another site, and no, this isn't AE proprietary hardware. Losi used to be use all SAE hardware, too. You can find 4-40 hardware in Lowes and Home Depot, but you're right, you might not be able to find a low profile nyloc-nut that fits your needs.

BTW, it's hard to imagine a hobby shop that doesn't have anything from AE, LOL. Do they carry Losi? Hopefully they have Du-Bro or Great Planes stuff.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Next time you go into your LHS, walk through the Du-Bro or Great Planes aisles. You'll find PLENTY of 4-40 hardware there. I saw your post on another site, and no, this isn't AE proprietary hardware. Losi used to be use all SAE hardware, too. You can find 4-40 hardware in Lowes and Home Depot, but you're right, you might not be able to find a low profile nyloc-nut that fits your needs.

BTW, it's hard to imagine a hobby shop that doesn't have anything from AE, LOL. Do they carry Losi? Hopefully they have Du-Bro or Great Planes stuff.
I checked my local lowes but the 4-40 they had were not the low profile or SAE for that matter. It didn't want to sit inside the steering rack part. It sat on top just fine it was like 1 dollar for a pack of them. I tired it then realized that the nut hits the drive shaft and wouldn't work lol. Oh well I guess I can try another hardware store or just wait it out. For now. Anybody know what I should look for inside a hardware store? I mean like I know it's 4-40 but is it 4-40 SAE 4-40 (insert random size) I honestly have little to no idea where to start.

Any chance of this forum going into a mobile version or like added to forum runner? It would be a lot easier to browse the forums on a smartphone this way.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

I order my Spec-R stuff from TQ RC Racing.

I literally get it in three days every time from Chino, CA to Indy. They pick and ship same day every time. This last batch I ordered on Monday and I had it today when the mail came at 1PM. $4 to ship me something from California to Indiana in two days. Probably why USPS is broke.

They've got your part. If you order it Thursday you'll probably have it in the mail on Saturday.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...+4-40+Locknut+
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Has anyone ever swapped out their pinion gears? I was looking at a Robinson racing product 1027 48p 27t. Any one use this one? I want to be able to drift in my TC4
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Has anyone ever swapped out their pinion gears? I was looking at a Robinson racing product 1027 48p 27t. Any one use this one? I want to be able to drift in my TC4
I use all Robinson pinions and sprus on my cars and they will fit your TC4 with no problem. 27t pinion should fit using the stock spur.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I checked my local lowes but the 4-40 they had were not the low profile or SAE for that matter. It didn't want to sit inside the steering rack part. It sat on top just fine it was like 1 dollar for a pack of them. I tired it then realized that the nut hits the drive shaft and wouldn't work lol. Oh well I guess I can try another hardware store or just wait it out. For now. Anybody know what I should look for inside a hardware store? I mean like I know it's 4-40 but is it 4-40 SAE 4-40 (insert random size) I honestly have little to no idea where to start.
Just a little background on the size nomenclature:

4-40 is broken down into the first component, 4 = size or diameter in this case and 40 = threads per inch. SAE designation is used to denote fine thread and sometimes a shorter height or smaller hex size on the nut exterior. An SAE washer, for example is smaller in exterior diameter but standard in the inner diameter when compared to a standard washer. It may be thinner in thickness as well. NC is used to denote National Coarse threads measured in Imperial or inch standards. In this particular case the nut you need is a low profile 4-40 nylon insert locknut. It is not proprietary as noted previously, but is a specialty item not normally found in a hardware store or home center. You can find many of the other screws and the like there though, but it is hit and miss.

I too get frustrated trying to source locally. Fortunately, my local hobby shop stocks many hobby aircraft items as well as Associated, HPI, Traxxas and Losi parts so If I dig enough, I can find most screws, washers, bearings and nuts there.

Internet stores are your best bet otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.