Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TC4 Setup for carpet?

Anyone have a good starting setup for a TC4 stock carpet?
Thanks,
Tyler
Old 11-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

I have a major problem with my TC4 guys.
When there is no motor attached and I spin the drivetrain with all the wheels straight, it spins for a smoooooth 8 seconds. But, when I turn the front wheels, to full left or right, and then spin the drivetrain, it spins 3 seconds with a horrible grind sound. This grind is comming from the front.

Now, nothing is rubbing against the carriers, nor the shocks nor the arms. The diff is freshly rebuild with no "gritty" feeling and the epa on my radio is set properly at 85%. Also, nothing is bent such as cvd's and there is minimal play in everthing.

Im stumped on this one.

Please help,
Paul
Old 11-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Remove the CVD, one side at a time to locate which side it is. Then inspect for a problem.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

More castor =less turn in ,more steering mid corner & exit
Less castor = more turn in.less mid corner
Old 11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Paul- check your cvds to see if they are binding at an angle. If you take them out of the car, you should be able to smoothly rotate them (whole cvd assembly in your hands) in any direction without any locking.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Jwatt, thanks for the quick help.
I rebuilt both cvd's already and even installed new bearings. I ran both cvd's on the car and I think it might come from the cross pin area. Ill try you wait.

Thank you
Paul
Old 11-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Jeel
I am looking for insight on the TC4 and how it compares to the HPI Pro4. I currently run a XXX-S in the stock class at my (very competitive) indoor carpet track and I am looking at either of these cars as a immediate replacement. I have enjoyes running my XXX-S and I am run well with it, but I am looking for a more aggressive car.
Keep your current XXX-S until the JRXS comes out.
Good things come to those who wait.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

thanks Mr Jolly.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

RE: 6 deg caster....

Could be caster at the wheel, 4 deg caster block with 2 deg kick up equals 6 deg caster at the wheel.

RE: Binding while Turning...

I've been working on my drive train today and still not managed to get it quiet enough, its smooth but noisy.

However I did too get this problem while steering, after a bit of investigation it turned out the be the steering reaching its max point and then the servo trying to go further and pushing up the rack into the input cup. I just backed off the steering rate slightly so it reached max steering on the car without straining and the problem was solved.

back to drive train though. How much noise and what sort of noise does your drivetrain make? Mine spins quite well but you can hear the gears meshing. i've tried some shimming but couldn't get it any better. What have you done to yours?

Cheers

Andy
Old 11-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Associated is making 6 degree front blocks for the TC4. We have a few in stock right now as they just came in today.

Kraig
KT Hobbies
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Anyone know if the sway bars ever got released?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Andy M

I've been working on my drive train today and still not managed to get it quiet enough, its smooth but noisy.

back to drive train though. How much noise and what sort of noise does your drivetrain make? Mine spins quite well but you can hear the gears meshing. i've tried some shimming but couldn't get it any better. What have you done to yours?

Cheers

Andy

When I first recieved my TC4.. I spend 1 day working on the bevel and ring gears for the drivetrain.... shimming the diffs and input gears..... and here is what I ended up dong to make the car quiet.
#1) 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper.
#2) one small triangle diamond file
#3) lots of blending,sanding ect ect

1st thing to do is get the drive train smooth/free (noise is not a issue )
2nd thing to do is going to take some time.... you will need to assemble the gear cases together and rotate the diff or oneway assy untill you hear a noise or a rough spot in one gear case... open up the gear case and proced to mark the bevel gear and ring gear with a black marker ..assemble and repeat this procedure several times untill you have identified the noisy areas....after that proceed to remove the high spots that you have marked with 400 grit sand paper/diamond file...but don"t go over board with this!!

after this process is done.. break in the gears with a little stealth grease/ heavy weight shock oil 60W+ and about 30~40 min's with a 540 motor at 5volts..

and you should be able to have quite a quiet drive train... it worked rather well for me.... should work for you to
-Dave
Old 11-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Andy, I'll check my epa on the radio again although, like I said, I set it up properly so there is no binding.

I have the same problem with gears not meshing correctly. I fixed this by shimming the diff properly. For the rear, I used the 1 extra shim on the spur adapter and 2 more shims on the right side of the diff.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default still waiting for....

sway bars at my hobby store.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: still waiting for....

Originally posted by RCknight
sway bars at my hobby store.
Next week possibly..?? ..

Tony and insite on this.???

-Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.