Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Aluminum Servo Horns >

Aluminum Servo Horns

Aluminum Servo Horns

Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Aluminum Servo Horns

It seems like every kit people buy needs an aluminum steering servo horn. I always see people upgrading that part first. I am the same way.

Why in the world don't manufacturers just include this part in the kit?!?!

I understand from a business standpoint it's extra revenue, but it seems like the kits actually NEED this part to be functional. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Im not exactly sure why the aluminium servohorn hysteria even started.
Ive been racing since 1998 and Ive never used an aluminium servohorn and Ive never stripped a servohorn either.
If you have a standard servohorn with an aluminium ring it should be sufficient, and if it isnt Id rather have it strip the horn than bust the servo.
Although Im guessing Im fairly alone thinking like that.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lilja
Im not exactly sure why the aluminium servohorn hysteria even started.
Ive been racing since 1998 and Ive never used an aluminium servohorn and Ive never stripped a servohorn either.
If you have a standard servohorn with an aluminium ring it should be sufficient, and if it isnt Id rather have it strip the horn than bust the servo.
Although Im guessing Im fairly alone thinking like that.
+1, I've never used aluminium horns as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
It seems like every kit people buy needs an aluminum steering servo horn. I always see people upgrading that part first. I am the same way.

I understand from a business standpoint it's extra revenue, but it seems like the kits actually NEED this part to be functional. What are your thoughts?
ive always wondered the same thing... but then i see some running plastic ones with no issues, i stripped steering ones but never have with throttle. i guess its so they can sell the kit then sell an aluminum servo horn also which when that happens the person usually buys other parts while they are making a order. thats the only reason i could think of... i always ran steering with aluminum and throttle plastic until very recently.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boomgagem

They would have to include three horns to fit the different servos available. They would rather not bump up a kit price, even if it is only $10 or so.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I always use alum servo horns I have bent steering horns and seen them strip out. These cars take a beating and thats just one less part to fail. Plus they add bling
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Every time I run a plastic steering horn, it strips, and that is being very forgiving on the EPA.

I like the bling too Frank LOL
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Prophet

il say you can probety get away with running a plastic servo horn on a 1/8 buggy for the steering but truggy hell no !

whould you notice a diffrence running a alum horn on the throttle servo i know it has less slop than the plastic servo horns on the throttle.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

I have run alum at least on steering for years & will continue to do so. They make servos with huge torque now & a 7-8 lbs car @ 35 mph into a wall with large diam truggy & buggy wheels is not a happy ending kinda deal. With a good qual servo its one less potential dnf to ruin your weekend.

I have seen plastic servo horns come a long way in the last 15 years & ran the x-ray supplied steering servo horn for a week or 2 on my last 808 with no problems till I got another alum one in. I know from years of experience my Hitec servos dont break & niether does the 808 now, why would I put a fusable link between the 2?

I suppose in 1/10 scale offroad(other than slash) plastic steering horns may be OK as your front arms will break when you tag a wall or another car before the servo horn strips but around here 1/10 buggy & truck is dead compared to 1/8.

If any of you remember when the D8 came out how did those plastic horns fare?
As far as the the original question of why? Money, say a company makes 5 cars that people typicaly put alum horns on 1/10 nitro & elec touring,nitro 1/8 onroad,1/8 buggy & truggy & they make 1,000 of each car & theres 3 major & 1 odball servo splines & they only supply alum horns for steering. Now imagine the glass is 1/2 empty kind of guy going on all these forums saying how that MFG is trying to cheap out & not supply alum horns for throttle. 5,000 kits X 6 horns per kit(if they delete the oddball spline that nobody uses) X $3 per horn. They know that RC people are brand loyal & once they find a servo brand they like they stick with it. Now you have $60,000 of wasted servo horn money sitting in junk drawers around the world.

Also realize not all servo horns are the same.The horn is designed around the car not the other way round. Some are short, some long,some offset left or right so they cant just make a run of 5000 of each slpine.

I would like to see a discount on horn from the MFG when purchased through them & show a sales reciept for their kit, but again that leaves it open to cheating by passing around reciepts.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by butch man
I have run alum at least on steering for years & will continue to do so. They make servos with huge torque now & a 7-8 lbs car @ 35 mph into a wall with large diam truggy & buggy wheels is not a happy ending kinda deal. With a good qual servo its one less potential dnf to ruin your weekend.

I have seen plastic servo horns come a long way in the last 15 years & ran the x-ray supplied steering servo horn for a week or 2 on my last 808 with no problems till I got another alum one in. I know from years of experience my Hitec servos dont break & niether does the 808 now, why would I put a fusable link between the 2?

I suppose in 1/10 scale offroad(other than slash) plastic steering horns may be OK as your front arms will break when you tag a wall or another car before the servo horn strips but around here 1/10 buggy & truck is dead compared to 1/8.

If any of you remember when the D8 came out how did those plastic horns fare?
As far as the the original question of why? Money, say a company makes 5 cars that people typicaly put alum horns on 1/10 nitro & elec touring,nitro 1/8 onroad,1/8 buggy & truggy & they make 1,000 of each car & theres 3 major & 1 odball servo splines & they only supply alum horns for steering. Now imagine the glass is 1/2 empty kind of guy going on all these forums saying how that MFG is trying to cheap out & not supply alum horns for throttle. 5,000 kits X 6 horns per kit(if they delete the oddball spline that nobody uses) X $3 per horn. They know that RC people are brand loyal & once they find a servo brand they like they stick with it. Now you have $60,000 of wasted servo horn money sitting in junk drawers around the world.

Also realize not all servo horns are the same.The horn is designed around the car not the other way round. Some are short, some long,some offset left or right so they cant just make a run of 5000 of each slpine.

I would like to see a discount on horn from the MFG when purchased through them & show a sales reciept for their kit, but again that leaves it open to cheating by passing around reciepts.
Good response, makes perfect sense. I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part. Would love to have all aluminum horns LOL

And I know the Losi plastic horns are terrible. The AE horns seem much better. Not sure about any others though. I just assembled a Hara D8 for my cousins and he ordered an aluminum horn with the buggy so I never even looked at the plastic one