Wiki Posts
Search

True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
call me crazy but during a season at the most i use only 2 sets of aka soft truggy tires grated i am running truggy.

thats why i stay away from high grip clay tracks $$.

like, i said before there are good quality servos for $90/$100 for a club racer i been using for a long time and never had one go bad on me .
Tc5-but your track also is a very blown out dusty track, you cant compare this to a lot of track out there. I had a track that had almost zero tire wear, but i also have a track that if ran dry will take anything soft and wear it out in 5 min,buggy or truggy. Keep that in mind when you think of cost.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cordarrow
If I had to budget....I'd find something else to do.

I want it all....and I want it now.
OMG..........no "Queen" anthem quotes please........
Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LOL.....couldn't resist.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

I really hate hearing people talk about how "expensive" racing is. It really hurts our hobby by scaring newcomers away. I saw a post above that said the price of a buggy is 800-1200 for the kit. I can put together a whole package w/ engine and electronics for that much, you just need to shop around. As for race weekends, I spend about $100(including nitro and tires) a club race, and $200-300 for big race events. Going to big events, I usually go with friends to keep costs down(hotels, gas, etc..). I race competitively, and fair well, so it can be done on a smaller budget. I spent no more than $3500(includes spare parts) last year racing, that includes gas for my pick-up, and lodging if needed. I typically go to 2 races a month, with about 4-5 2-3 day events, and 2 out of state races.

Its all about budgeting your money, knowing where to look to get parts and equipment, and budgeting your out-of-town races.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

I really hate hearing people talk about how "expensive" racing is.
You'd rather hear how inexpensive it is? Really?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miniracer23
I really hate hearing people talk about how "expensive" racing is. It really hurts our hobby by scaring newcomers away. I saw a post above that said the price of a buggy is 800-1200 for the kit. I can put together a whole package w/ engine and electronics for that much, you just need to shop around. As for race weekends, I spend about $100(including nitro and tires) a club race, and $200-300 for big race events. Going to big events, I usually go with friends to keep costs down(hotels, gas, etc..). I race competitively, and fair well, so it can be done on a smaller budget. I spent no more than $3500(includes spare parts) last year racing, that includes gas for my pick-up, and lodging if needed. I typically go to 2 races a month, with about 4-5 2-3 day events, and 2 out of state races.

Its all about budgeting your money, knowing where to look to get parts and equipment, and budgeting your out-of-town races.
I feel it can be as cheap or expensive as one wants it to be. I know alot of local club racers who buy the bare minimum for equipment and buy inexpensive rc kits and they are very competitive on a shoestring budget. Whatever gets you from point A to B, some people do it in style and luxury, others do it on the cheap.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

I agree, if you budget your money and shop around for the "deals" it is not that expensive to race. I probably spend around 3 to 4 grand a year total on my racing. I will say that when I first started racing I spent way more than needed on after market parts and things that I thought I needed. Over the years I have learned to get by and race competitively on a budget. Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jammin32j
I agree, if you budget your money and shop around for the "deals" it is not that expensive to race. I probably spend around 3 to 4 grand a year total on my racing. I will say that when I first started racing I spent way more than needed on after market parts and things that I thought I needed. Over the years I have learned to get by and race competitively on a budget. Just my 2 cents...
That's the catch 22 of it-its more expensive typically for a noob because they haven't done enough research, shopped around, talked to the right people, or are just overwhelmed by all the options. Plus, what you'll gain in experience racing your first year will be priceless.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cordarrow
You'd rather hear how inexpensive it is? Really?
Absolutely. You start telling newcomers they are gonna have to mortgage their home to have fun and be competitive, than there will be a lot less new racers in our hobby. Too many ppl make it seem like they have to have a nascar budget to run and have fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

If your talking about my post the 800-1200 is the car built with engine and electronics.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Absolutely.
Priceless. OK.

This hobby is so inexpensive I for one can not believe that everyone is not doing it!

Talk about bang for your buck! For the price of a compact automobile you can spend a terribly long day breathing dust and carcinogens...

I'm all in!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think that the natural instinct is to try and buy speed and handling. When in fact, practice is cheaper and produces better results.

This is the nature of the beast in all sports. Money can sometimes mask talent but it cant buy talent.

You dont need every hopup and I think that is what costs the most in this hobby.

After my hiatus and return: I spent a little extra on starter box, servos, and radio knowing that these will be with me the longest.
The Hotbodies cars have pleasantly lasted longer than I anticipated helping keep the cost down.

Still-I look at what I invested so far (I kept the receiupts in a folder)- Ugh

I think the biggest waste was buying stuff that I didn't need and my original investment into GRP motors 2 weeks prior to the plant burning down.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't think you should want to hide the cost from a new comer. How would you like to be the guy that asked and was told oh you can do this cheap. Just grab a 500 used rtr and go race and win. That's BS and if the guy can't afford the up keep he is gonna be unhappy and out of the hobby with 500 blown that he could have used on something that he could afford to keep doing. If the initial startup cost is enough to concern you, don't even think about racing.

I love the how would Tebo do with old tires question. You think he would win? Where? He would own the sportsman race but against the same caliber of drivers that he competes against all the time, he would look pretty rough. So would anyone with that disadvantage.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by camocowboy
I don't think you should want to hide the cost from a new comer. How would you like to be the guy that asked and was told oh you can do this cheap. Just grab a 500 used rtr and go race and win. That's BS and if the guy can't afford the up keep he is gonna be unhappy and out of the hobby with 500 blown that he could have used on something that he could afford to keep doing. If the initial startup cost is enough to concern you, don't even think about racing.

I love the how would Tebo do with old tires question. You think he would win? Where? He would own the sportsman race but against the same caliber of drivers that he competes against all the time, he would look pretty rough. So would anyone with that disadvantage.
That was my question, I'm glad you love it. Although it sounds like you completely mis understood the point of the question.

First off, Jared Tebo gets tires for free, so competing with the same caliber drivers is a moot point, so forget about that.

We're not talking about top level pro drivers here. We're talking about the newcomer racing, and how much it will cost. And I'm telling you wether or not you want to hear it that if Tebo came to the pit on a "club race" day with one set of crimefighters, he would still finish at the very top of the pro level. His skill level is way above everyone posting on this thread,

And I'm not saying lie to people about the costs, yes at the very minimum it is still an expensive hobby. But don't tell people they'll need to spend 2,000 a year in tires it's just not true.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

All hobbies if you really want to be good at it is going to cost you. Scuba diving, golf, go karts, paint ball, Horse back riding...just to name a few off the top of my head. If you want to be good at it, which is most guys nature your going to spend some coin. I say if you can have a hobby, RC is not a bad one to have, lots of great people and its fun too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.