Wiki Posts
Search

new to the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default new to the hobby

OK, I am still new to the hobby despite having a nitro rc for quite some time now. Here is my story...

1. about a year ago I got interested in this hobby
2. around the beginning of September of 2010 I started looking for used R/C nitros on this forum
3. around the third week of September I saw a RC10GT w/ a O.S. .15 advertised to be in great condition with the engine having less than 3/4 gallons through it with a transmitter for $135 plus shipping
4. bought and paid through PayPal
5. received around the first of October
6. when I had some time two weeks later I took it to my local hobby shop
7. the guy at the hobby shop told me that the hub pin needed to be replaced
8. ordered the pin
9. two weeks later I came back and installed the part
10. I bought fuel and put it in the tank
11. found that there was a leak in the fuel tank and could not get the engine to start
12. next week I went back to the hobby shop and ordered a new fuel tank
13. a week later I went and picked the fuel tank and installed it that night
14. I tried to start the engine and fuel came flying out the sides of it when I pulled the pullstart
15. a week later the guy at the hobby store had the same experience and told me that it was not the same engine as advertised and that the sleeve and piston were all screwed up and that the head was not securely held on by stripped screws
16. bought a brand new O.S. 15CV-X and paid the hobby store to install it
17. he got it running 2 weeks later and did the first tank of break-in for me but also told me that the transmitter was glitchy
18. he was kind enough to give me a spare one that was laying around
19. said thank you and took it home
20. broke it in with five tanks 1/4 throttle 1/4 - 1/2 throttle 1/2 - 3/4 throttle 3/4 throttle with no problem
21. tried to start it and engine overevved and conrod broke along with a junky brake pad and worn down plastic gear
22. its the end of January
23. guy at the hobby store took it off for me and told me that I should send it to O.S.
24. sent it in the first week of February heavily packaged
25. no response from O.S. for a month
24. first week of March
25. called them up and said they would charge for an in-warranty repair
26. paid them a nice sum of money to fix it

really mad and upset just trying to get into this hobby

i asked around to see what i should ask the seller before i bought the car
the seller said everything was OK

still do not have a working car and have spent $400+

have had a horrible experience and I am barely even into this hobby

i contacted the seller after i found out the engine was piece of crap and said that it was checked over before he sent it out

appendix-

wasted a whole quart of fuel on this thing

Last edited by beginner1; 03-03-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: edit
Old 03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

This is why I never buy things second hand.

Youve had alot of problems, and Im sure some of them you couldve easely avoided with more knowledge and experience. Its the same for everyone, these cars are complicated and require knowhow to get going, youll learn. Itll be expensive and frustrating at first but itll be easier and therefor more fun once you gain experience, weve all been there.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Prophet

thats why i dont buy used even from a racer especialy 1/8 buggys/truggys lenson learned.

just buy new.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Prophet

if you buy a 1/8 or 1/10 car from me it will be in good shape thats my promise.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There are some good guys with good equipment but unless you know the guy and can verify in-person the equipment, don't buy used until you learn some things like you are starting to. Your experience stinks, I feel for you. That's probably one reason this hobby isn't any bigger. Realize though that this hobby, especially nitro, can be expensive. It's not uncommon for racers to have ten times what you've spent at the track with them in equipment, vehicles, and tools. Crazy right? Thing is, you have to look at it this way-if you like this hobby, spend the money on good, new equipment, take care of it and maintain it, and you can spend your time enjoying your stuff instead of troubleshooting it. Best of luck buddy, lots of help here on these forums.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Dump the pit before you dig deeper. Those cars are fragile and getting old to. If your wanting somthing fun/fast to drive up and down and maybe race here and there get and eletric slash 4x4. For $400 out the door cant beat it. Or get a losi rtr buggy or truggy 1/8. Replace servos and your pretty set for a good beginner racer. They are $700 and servos are around $100 or more each for great ones. I dont see the point in spending more and more then find more and more issues. When you buy used normally you prepair ur self for whats ganna be wrong. Exspecially when you get it for dirt cheap. I dont know what rc10gt's sell for but a lil over a 100 for a rtr nitro with a new o.s. motor sounds cheap.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Dump the pit before you dig deeper. Those cars are fragile and getting old to. If your wanting somthing fun/fast to drive up and down and maybe race here and there get and eletric slash 4x4. For $400 out the door cant beat it. Or get a losi rtr buggy or truggy 1/8. Replace servos and your pretty set for a good beginner racer. They are $700 and servos are around $100 or more each for great ones. I dont see the point in spending more and more then find more and more issues. When you buy used normally you prepair ur self for whats ganna be wrong. Exspecially when you get it for dirt cheap. I dont know what rc10gt's sell for but a lil over a 100 for a rtr nitro with a new o.s. motor sounds cheap.
+1

Ditch what u got and grab a slash or rtr losi and have some fun.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Last edited by bigge; 03-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I feel for ya man...that would truly suck, but I've had the exact opposite happen to me on this site. I waited and watched until I found what I thought was the perfect deal/deals for my budget and I couldn't be happier. A used Tx/rx, rtr used 1/8 buggy, used tires/wheels, and everything to make it all work for less than $430. I even have spares for when I break something. I went to a track for the first time and blew through a 1/2 gallon without a single issue, and the car did plenty of cartwheels. There is plenty of great information on this site, as well as some great informative videos on youtube.

I hope you begin to enjoy this hobby as it is a blast with a vehicle that actually works.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

This sucks, I hate to see stories like this, because it puts a bad taste in peoples mouth about the hobby, when in reality it's just inferior products, and irresponsible sellers.

My advice to anyone getting into the hobby that is new, first find out what you want to do with your vehicle.

Buying used is fine, but you have to be careful when you buy.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
This sucks, I hate to see stories like this, because it puts a bad taste in peoples mouth about the hobby, when in reality it's just inferior products, and irresponsible sellers.

My advice to anyone getting into the hobby that is new, first find out what you want to do with your vehicle.

Buying used is fine, but you have to be careful when you buy.
I have no problem buying used. I bought my 8ight 2.0 off here used, put about 100 bucks into it's ready to roll. I just use caution and make sure I tear everything down and rebuild it.