Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Speedmerchant Rev.4 >

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Old 04-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by coltsfan
O deg toe, 1.77 fronts, I have been as high as 1.85. I just did glue the outside edge of the tires this weekend for the first time but these were brand new Jaco that I did not have time to cut down. I was also flipping with CRC pro cuts. Jack the Gripper tire compound. 20 minutes before racing. I take it off just before the race. I have been wiping the front tires about 5 minutes before racing.
your tires are wayyy too big. If you haven't already done so, mill down your steering knuckles (described earlier in this thread). You want to run tires no bigger than 1.70. Honestly 1.67 is where I start and is pretty ideal.

Also, unless your are properly supergluing, it does nothing. You need to be using thick, blue losi tire glue. Leave the front tire on the car, slowly turn it while alying a thick bead right up to the edge of the contact patch. You should not be able to compress the side wall when squeezing the tire.

Finally, how much caster (how many shims are under the front arms of the car)?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coltsfan
O deg toe, 1.77 fronts, I have been as high as 1.85. I just did glue the outside edge of the tires this weekend for the first time but these were brand new Jaco that I did not have time to cut down. I was also flipping with CRC pro cuts. Jack the Gripper tire compound. 20 minutes before racing. I take it off just before the race. I have been wiping the front tires about 5 minutes before racing.
I think your tires may be too large. Is the track really high bite? Does the car stay consistant throughout the run or is it twitchy and traction rolling at the start, get good after 1 min, then start to lose rear grip at the end?

I was running into a similar problem at the carpet nats, and this is what Bruce told me to do to fix the problem.

1)start your tires at 1.77" rear, 1.67" front.

2)put a LOT of glue on the outside of the front tires.

3)Sauce the tires a lot. I was saucing the rears 30-40 minutes before my heat, then 15 minutes before I would sauce the rears again and whatever amount I was doing on the front. Wipe off really well 5-10 min early, scrub in on the run line on the track, and go.

-James
Old 04-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Initiate

I am going to start cutting my tires tonight. I think that is the best way to go. Thanks.

Paul
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Initiate

That desribes my problem quite well. I don't think I glued the tires good enough. I used a thin glue that formed a crust on the sidewalls but ithe sides of the tires were still soft. I did have the one spacer under the front screw on the steering block as mentioned earlier. It does sound as though everything is coming down to the tires and compound.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How did this thread get that far down? Carpet isn't over, it's just resting!

Nick
Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

After the Carpet Nats, WE are just resting. And my narrow Speedmerchant chassis stays in storage in favor of my wide Yok 12WE for outdoor asphalt.

That's California for you!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Company Representative

Damn the sunshine!!!

I am hoping we (northeast) stay inside this summer.

Nick
Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

We Cauliflower guys will be back in August when Stockton re-opens to give us carpet track time before the IIC race in Lost Wages.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
That's California for you!
California drives me insane...Carpet racing is dead in the summer & I hate being in the sun (I'm one of those "weird" people who hate the sun and love the clouds)

I'm thinking of moving to Washington when I finish school, SIR looks pretty badass.

BTW: I just got a Speedmerchant to run this winter if Gilroy is stil around
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by BlackKat
California drives me insane...Carpet racing is dead in the summer & I hate being in the sun (I'm one of those "weird" people who hate the sun and love the clouds)

I'm thinking of moving to Washington when I finish school, SIR looks pretty badass.

BTW: I just got a Speedmerchant to run this winter if Gilroy is stil around
Washington? Remember, theres always New England =)

Nick
Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

I now have my parts from Bruce and have built the car up.
It all went together well, the quality of the parts seems very good.
The only problem I have now is motor installation, It seems very difficult to get the motor in to the pod.
The pod plates are closer together than an Associated, do I have to cut away the bottom plate and the RHS pod plate, or am I missing something?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reynard55
I now have my parts from Bruce and have built the car up.
It all went together well, the quality of the parts seems very good.
The only problem I have now is motor installation, It seems very difficult to get the motor in to the pod.
The pod plates are closer together than an Associated, do I have to cut away the bottom plate and the RHS pod plate, or am I missing something?
I unscrew the top plate every time I change motors on my Rev 4. Comes out from the top.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

Yep, the pod is desinged to have the top plate removed to change motors, this allows it to be narrow enough to run jaco's at legal roar width (they are a different offset than the parma and trc tires).
Old 05-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by eforer
Yep, the pod is desinged to have the top plate removed to change motors, this allows it to be narrow enough to run jaco's at legal roar width (they are a different offset than the parma and trc tires).
I like to refer to it as the coolest pod ever.

Are you running some 12th scale this week Ed? Mark mentioned he was down for a little bit of RCE =)

Nick
Old 05-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have the new hollow aerial mast to fit to my car, should I run the aerial wire up the centre or wrap it round the outside?
I think that up the middle would look much better but I worry that it will snap the wire if the mast breaks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.