Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

DLM,

Have you had any issues using the hex head screws for the front end? I grabbed some the other day to try out, looking to finally ditch that giant phillips head in my box =)
Old 01-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick-C
DLM,

Have you had any issues using the hex head screws for the front end? I grabbed some the other day to try out, looking to finally ditch that giant phillips head in my box =)
Nick,

Toss the Phillips.

Absolutely get the Lunsford titanium screws for the front end. Their hexes are great. These screws will set into the chassis to be flush with the bottom without any additional countersinking required to your Rev 4.

Don't go to the 06 ROAR Carpet Nationals without them...We will be teching for flat bottoms...
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

DLM, your car looks money! Just loose the bumper
Old 01-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Keep the bumper for as long as you need it.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eforer
DLM, your car looks money! Just loose the bumper

The bumper doubles as a body post washer(weighs the same as 2 clips and 2 plastic washers)so I have given it a purpose since I don't hit anytjing (LOL) anyway guys give me the measurement of your links - just for comparison - By the way, I did replace the servo (heavy,slow HS225mg) with the Z3650 (I've got one on a12l4)
and all I can say is that servo rocks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DLM2005
The bumper doubles as a body post washer(weighs the same as 2 clips and 2 plastic washers)so I have given it a purpose since I don't hit anytjing (LOL) anyway guys give me the measurement of your links - just for comparison - By the way, I did replace the servo (heavy,slow HS225mg) with the Z3650 (I've got one on a12l4)
and all I can say is that servo rocks!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if anyone else measures links but it's something I have never done. When building the back end of the car I first attach one side link and make the gap between the pod and chassis perfectly even when sitting flat on a setup board. From there adding the second link is quite easy, you just need to keep feeling the pivot action. I don't know how tight tolerances are on all the rear end parts like the link ends etc so what may be perfect on my car could be enough to bind up the back of yours.

Car looks good though man.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

That's the way I put it together - I was just curious if there was any standard measurement - When I first built the Rev3 I started with one side and a gap between the rod ends of 1 inch per the Speed Merchant instruction sheet then ajusted the other link in the same way as you making sure the was no binding in the rear end.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DLM2005
That's the way I put it together - I was just curious if there was any standard measurement - When I first built the Rev3 I started with one side and a gap between the rod ends of 1 inch per the Speed Merchant instruction sheet then ajusted the other link in the same way as you making sure the was no binding in the rear end.
That's pretty much it man. The measurement in the manual will get you in the ballpark but as I mentioned the kit relies on other parts and who knows how good the manufacturing process is there.

No if Bruce made all the link parts on the rear end I am sure there would be a perfect number
Old 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

no binding on the links is important, but another thing is to make sure there is no rear steer in the pod from the links being too long/too short. They can be free but still wrong. Your eyeball's are your best tool for this job, I don't think Bruce has ever used anything else when setting links.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Just curious if anyone with a Rev 4 has ever owned a Hara Hammer and can tell me the difference in the two.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eforer
no binding on the links is important, but another thing is to make sure there is no rear steer in the pod from the links being too long/too short. They can be free but still wrong. Your eyeball's are your best tool for this job, I don't think Bruce has ever used anything else when setting links.

The setup board is quite helpful for eyeballing - and like I said my question was because I was a bit curious not that I am having any handling problems.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Nick-C found some cool cad images of the hammer that he sent me once. It doesn't have links like the rev4 its kind of a wierd system. Seems to be dialed on asphalt.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Just curious if anyone with a Rev 4 has ever owned a Hara Hammer and can tell me the difference in the two.
I have both cars but the Hara car is intended for asphalt. The rear suspension is a version of the HPI suspension used on their 10th pan car. My H12 was quite nice outdoors (after I converted it to damper tubes) but I've never tried it on the rug. I know some people who have and the car seemed to have too much rear bite. I am converting mine to the Powell "Sledge Hammer" and I bet that will work well on carpet.

The similarites between the two are the battery configutation and the narrow width of the chassis. The difference is the rear suspension, Links versus, uh, whatever you call the HPI set up (how about "sliding block"?)

The only reason I built an H12 is because I like to build new stuff. The Rev4 is simpler (in concept and to build) and easier to set up. You can't get parts for the Hara car, but who cares when the Rev4 is so good!
Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odpurple
I have both cars but the Hara car is intended for asphalt. The rear suspension is a version of the HPI suspension used on their 10th pan car. My H12 was quite nice outdoors (after I converted it to damper tubes) but I've never tried it on the rug. I know some people who have and the car seemed to have too much rear bite. I am converting mine to the Powell "Sledge Hammer" and I bet that will work well on carpet.

The similarites between the two are the battery configutation and the narrow width of the chassis. The difference is the rear suspension, Links versus, uh, whatever you call the HPI set up (how about "sliding block"?)

The only reason I built an H12 is because I like to build new stuff. The Rev4 is simpler (in concept and to build) and easier to set up. You can't get parts for the Hara car, but who cares when the Rev4 is so good!
Thanks. I've already got the Hara (I like the battery layout) but the Rev 4 seems to have a serious cult following. I think I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Thanks. I've already got the Hara (I like the battery layout) but the Rev 4 seems to have a serious cult following. I think I'll give it a shot.
A cult, soon to be a movement The Rev4 is the best thing on four 1/12th scale wheels!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.