Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Novarossi RS12T5S2 problems - HELP >

Novarossi RS12T5S2 problems - HELP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novarossi RS12T5S2 problems - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:43 AM
ade
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Novarossi RS12T5S2 problems - HELP

Hi,

I have a Novarossi RS12T5S2 that was purchased brand new and I cant seem to get it running correctly. The engine is very hard to start, when I get it started it idles and runs very hot ( around 240+ degrees). The engine never runs more than 3-4 minutes before stalling and I can never get it started again until completely cool- then again its hard to start.

I have experience tuning other engines I've owned like the Rossi Pixy and Sirio 12. This motor has gotten me at my whits end!

I have checked the engine and fuel system for air leaks and even sealed the engine with permatex, check the screws, tried a new plug (6- turbo), and even tried various needle settings and nothing seems to work.

My starter box and glow igniter are working properly and is not the problem.

I am using the following:

Novarossi Plug (5-turbo) - this came with the engine
Trinity 20% Monster Horsepower Fuel (MH4020)

Can you please help me get this engine running?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'd get rid of the monster fuel and get some O'Donnell or Byrons. I had a ton of headaches with Trinity fuel, and they all disappeared when I switched to O'Donnell. It was like night and day. Cooler running and easy starting, not to mention my idle is much more stable than with the Trinity.

I fought the same symptoms you are having, and as an experienced tuner, I was at my wits end. I bought two new engines before I was convinced it was the fuel!!

The Trinity vapor locks the engine at a very low temp compared to other fuels. My engines were vapor locking at 220- 240F and would NOT restart until cool. I have not had this problem with O'Donnell fuel at all. Hot restarts are just as easy as when cold.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Change out the fuel like what cdelong said. If its a brand new engine, you shouldn't be running into this kinda issue. Odonnell or byron fuels are good to use. Goodluck.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

It seem that You running Very lean on LSN
Try Back to original settings:
5 Turns out on HSN, 3 Turns out on LSN n Mid Flush
Check your head shims, it should be 0.3mm shim in there
Good Luck.....
Old 08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
ade
Tech Regular

Guys,

Thanks for the information. I started with O'Donnell 20% and was having some of the same problems. Although, I was able to heat cycle the engine through 3 tanks during break-in. I'm going to try and set the needles back to factory settings again and try Byrons fuel.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please send them.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

That engine was quite a terror to break in (I remember mine was). Here are a few general tips that you may or may not know.

- use a hotter glowplug. unfortunately the novarossi/rb/novamega line of plugs was originally designed for bigblock engines and so the temp range is colder than what is needed for our small blocks. if its still being finicky go back to a number 5 plug.

- preheat the engine with blowdryer/heat gun at low setting. i remember my RS12S5 having a very tight piston/sleeve set. preheating it should loosen it slightly for a easier startup/breakin.

- 240 degrees doesnt sound that bad if its operating temp, but if it is stalling/flaming out then you should richen your main needle.

- 20% is 20%. IMO fuel preferences is just that, preference. Just make sure you got a fresh bottle as old fuel will add to your headache.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:29 PM
ade
Tech Regular

icon,

Thanks for the information. I have a new plug and fresh fuel to try tomorrow.

What did you use for a starting point on the needles?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-28-2004, 03:51 PM
ade
Tech Regular

Man am I having a tough time with this engine. I can now get it started and idling ok but then it keeps flaming out! I have again tried everything. I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Do anyone know what can be causing it to keep flaming out?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 08-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Tony, Hows it going with the motor? Can you come down to Toledo this week? We might be able to help you out at the Nats. I have a run in bench you can borrow to possibly put it through some paces on a bench. If you want I'll bring the bench with me.

Perhaps you're going wrong way with the glow plugs, your rod could be broken on the bushings, a worn bearing, bad pipe, manifold, lots of things. Pull the backplate off and have a look in there. Also check the pipe and manifold if theres any cracks or holes, put a new gasket on, replace your fuel tubing, change your routing, make sure the tank is airtight, all the plugs seal up, keep the tank from vibrating too.

Tom
Old 08-30-2004, 10:05 AM
ade
Tech Regular

Tom,

Thanks for the information. Sorry cant come to Toledo this weekend- doing the family thing with the wife and baby.

I did just about everything you suggested with this engine. I just purchased a new engine and I'll probably just sell this one. This is a brand new engine and not quite sure what the problem could be.

Have you heard about the new RC Screwz track that is opening in Livonia. Its an indoor smooth asphalt track. I visited there the other day and it looks like they are going to have a really nice set up. The track is set to open 9/11.

Have fun at the Nats.

Tony
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

never heard of the track, will it be nitro too?

I'm almost certain we can get your motor to run fine on a run in bench. I think your problem is something on the car while its in motion, possibly things like fuel going through the pressure line or something, , maybe a fuel filter on the pressure line might fix it.
Lost of pressure on the tank causing you to flame out because fuel just doesn't get through the tubing. One thing about a new motor is that your fuel consumption might be totally different, what if your HSN is too lean too? There should be a few more club races after the nats before midwest series so there's still hope.

What is happening just before you flame out? Describe what your doing specifically.

Another thought could be your clutch is too tight, is it spooling out alot? This new motor might have so much power that its wearing your clutch more and its heating up the front of the engine and thats why its so hard to start after it flames out. Might just need to replace your clutch shoe. Got a centax?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know old thread but I believe I have the same motor and troubles as you. Flaming out.

I set it back to the stock needle setting. Will be trying it tonight. But just seeing if you ever got it to work.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 05-04-2005 at 01:01 PM.