Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Okay I have never had this done to me. >

Okay I have never had this done to me.

Okay I have never had this done to me.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Angry Okay I have never had this done to me.

I bought a ofna pro start. 2 days ago and the thing caught fire as soon as i pushed the buggy down. i cant think of what happen. any one eles had this problem. It was cheap so i got it, thinking about a 2.0 starter
Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

maybe you got some fuel on a connection or the starter motor so when it sparked it when up in flames??
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

The batteries we put in those boxes are powerful, I'm suprised at how difficult it is to start a motor. those Lipo batteries light it up, and especially if the car isn't starting. It never fails that the car won't start, then the starter box goes dead...Well the Lipos really won't under most conditions. A fully charged battery will get er done. If a wire was hooked up wrong or something like that. I know every starter box I've had to do some creative wiring. I had one with a power panel and the switch was for the motors, but the panel would kill the batteries just sitting there for a week or two off from racing. I had to use the switch for the power panel, and leave the batteries connected. Starter boxes have bad instructions too. Every one I've had took time to set up....a long time.....

I just looked up the box you said. It's the same one I had, it's a great box, but IDK if Lipo would not fry that one....I used 2 stick packs for mine....but the wires are funky. I say rewire it, and it prolly needs new motors....the truggy one is more for lipos I think, could be wrong. But that box will last forever if taken care of......
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Every one I've had took time to set up....a long time.....
Ain't it the truth! Starter boxes are the bane of nitro.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Did it actually "Catch fire" Or did you smoke one of the motor's ? A improperly lined up box WILL spew out Smoke from either Burning the wheel or Dead shorting the motor's.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

No box can just be dropped on a car and fit perfect. They take adjusting, also if they hit chassi they will smoke because rubber is causing friction on chassi burning the rubber wheel. Now catching fire is a bit odd but if you dont have your wiring done right it can happen.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh man that can't be good. Sound like you might have a short somewhere maybe.