Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what are you running for steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The power cap on the ESC serves a different function than the "Glitch Buster" type cap that plugs into the RX. What's being said is that with many current servos, you may need a glitch buster to make things work properly with your motors, in addition to your reciever.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 02-20-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think I have experienced this.

I have a Hitec 7940TH servo with a Spektrum 3500 micro receiver and a 10.5 motor for outdoor racing. When I go out to the track and use very light throttle but wiggle my wheels back and forth the motor makes a weird sound and even if I pull the throttle more I cant go unless I come to a stop and go again. It only happens when I barely move though. Full throttle racing never gives me a problem.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've become a huge fan of Savox servos for a number of reasons but primarily because I appreciate great performance at reasonable expense.
I have the SC1251MG in 3 cars now running a can motor, 21.5 and 25.5 with Novak esc's. Never had a problem and neither have the other 2 new owners of sc1251's in our club.
I agree it might be prudent to make sure of compatibility with equipment you buy BUT this problem is more an issue with ESC choice rather than servos. Since servos are generally used in many different applications, every driver should look at the demands of his/her choice to make sure it's right for the APPLICATION. In addition, every ESC choice needs to be checked as well. BEC output is something I learned about years ago and something I doublecheck every time I look at a new ESC. This subject has seen lots of attention lately due to WGT use of a 1 cell lipo, which doesn't provide needed voltage.
To simply shed a negative light on a bunch of companies that have a PROVEN success record is irresponsible at best. ALL info regarding each instance of this problem needs to be reported so we can all have the correct information.
Sorry for the rant but I get real pissy when people make generalized statements without proper information or proof.
Companies like Ko Propo ,Savox, and even Spectrum have good reputations for servo quality. Hell, Ko Propo is considered a premium brand !!! BUT, that doesn't mean EVERY servo they make is good for YOUR application working with YOUR additional electronics. Nuff said.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

damn, now im confused. i run a spektrum 3100 reciever, mmm, CC 2650kv motor. i want a new steering servo, what should i avoid? i did buy a tower hobbies digital and it didnt work, was this the problem???
Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Had the same experience with those servos. I have 2 Tower Pro MG somethings......neither worked since new. Glitching badly no matter what. There seems to be servos out there that just don't have reliable electronics. BlueBird is a company I've wanted to buy from but every search I made came up with way to many complaints. Some people loved them though. In my mind that simply tells me to go with companies that have significantly higher good reports than bad and then weigh that against my budget. Doesn't mean you shouldnt do what was said and at least understand what's important to know. I don't have a big budget so I have to buy the best quality I can for reasonable cost.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

so youre saying spend more money? futaba, savox, high end servos? i just want to by one that f-in works. now im scared to buy anything!! check out my set up below, what will work?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Don't panic. There's a big difference between spending big bucks and not buying the least expensive thing out there. There is ALWAYS the possibility of a dud piece of electronics, no matter who makes it. Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec have great reputations. BUT, to get a similar servo to the one I have would've cost me at least 20-30 bucks more at retail. I took a chance on Savox based on what I had been reading. So far I'm impressed and I'll stick with them until I have reason not to.
So...you bought inexpensive and it bit you in the butt. Welcome to the club.
Now you have to decide what your budget will allow. You already know my opinion.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Don't panic. There's a big difference between spending big bucks and not buying the least expensive thing out there. There is ALWAYS the possibility of a dud piece of electronics, no matter who makes it. Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec have great reputations. BUT, to get a similar servo to the one I have would've cost me at least 20-30 bucks more at retail. I took a chance on Savox based on what I had been reading. So far I'm impressed and I'll stick with them until I have reason not to.
So...you bought inexpensive and it bit you in the butt. Welcome to the club.
Now you have to decide what your budget will allow. You already know my opinion.
ive spent $149 on futaba brushless/coreless servos and 2.99 on turnigy micros. i guess i expect anything i buy to work as advertised. i dont have a problem spending money on something, as long as it works. what is this unit that people are plugging into their recievers to make all servos work??? last i checked i could run any servo i wanted???
Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Sent you a PM.
I know your pain. The plug in device is to stabilise power to the motor and to the servo. What they're talking about is some devices suck to much power from the esc when they shouldn't. The BEC is Battery Eliminator Circuit. It's what controls power to your servos.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

what is the plug in capacitor for the reciever?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

sent you another PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for the info! so i run spektrum radio, hpi flux esc, CC motor, what steering servo would you recommend?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

SC-1256-TG. Sent you the link earlier via PM for the promo.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

oh sorry, i missed the link!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
The power cap on the ESC serves a different function than the "Glitch Buster" type cap that plugs into the RX. What's being said is that with many current servos, you may need a glitch buster to make things work properly with your motors, in addition to your reciever.
I want to buy some Savox servos but I fear the glitch problem you're talking about. I run a Tekin speedo, a Spektrum rx, LRP X-12 17.5 boosted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.