Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Losi XXX-S model HELP! >

Losi XXX-S model HELP!

Losi XXX-S model HELP!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi XXX-S model HELP!

I have one of these so a bud of mine can race with us. It is the one with the yellow single belt. I don't have a manual so how in the blue moon of Kentucky do you change the belt on this thing without turning it back into a kit.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not as easy as some cars but not too bad. Bottom cover comes off, tensioner and spur removed, diff covers come off, remove diffs, remove center steering arm, pull belt from bottom. Theres a brace that comes out with the belt right where the steering arm goes through the chassis tunnel. remember to put it back in after laying the new belt in the tunnel.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Whew! Sounds a lot like work. That should get me through it though, Thank you. Next time I think a shaft drive will be on the list of easy fix cars.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mxrich
Whew! Sounds a lot like work. That should get me through it though, Thank you. Next time I think a shaft drive will be on the list of easy fix cars.
Yeah...a lot of screws to take out but once the new belt is in you shouldn't be looking at another belt change for some time. The black belt is a great choice and bulletproof. You have to buy the belt "kit" which includes a new tensioner since the belt is longer. If no other problems with the drivetrain....it'll last a long,long time.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Yeah...a lot of screws to take out but once the new belt is in you shouldn't be looking at another belt change for some time. The black belt is a great choice and bulletproof. You have to buy the belt "kit" which includes a new tensioner since the belt is longer. If no other problems with the drivetrain....it'll last a long,long time.
this man is spot on...
get the black belt kit then remove every other tooth......
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Well, learn something new everyday. Is this kit still available? The car is only going to be used with a 540 silvercan until he learns to stay out of the way. Thrn maybe put a 27T after that so the yellow belt should go for a while.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Unfortunately no. Plenty of parts available and used cars can be found easy. I have 4 of them. Aside from being a little more difficult in certain respects, the X is a great car and there's quite a bit of good setup info available.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

First post here...

I just bought the 3X-S (dirt cheap, as it was a used rc) and my first trip with the car to the track ended with a striped belt.

So I read the previous entry regarding how to take apart the car to get a new belt in, but here's the problem, which hex's do I need to take apart the car to get the belt out?

We use millimeters here in denmark and you guys use inches..
I was hoping for some links on Ebay or similar.

With regards
Anders Risager
Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

XXX-S
Share parts with
XXX-S Drift
XXX-4 Buggy rereleased

So if you want to keep most parts up to date, look into internals from the buggy. And just worry about the arms, cvds and shock towers, linkages are pretty universal.

And that screw company makes a screw kit turning these into metric screws also. Or just find a screws of the right size in metric (traxxas have alot of easy to find screws pre packed) and replace them.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coach-Z
Hi,

... which hex's do I need to take apart the car to get the belt out?

Anders Risager
Anders, I use a old 3/32 hex tool from Losi (tip measures ~2.35mm) for the big screws, and a 1/16" Hudy driver (~1.59mm) for the small screws.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...&kategoria=538

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...&kategoria=538

Hope this helps...
Old 04-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Coach-Z
Hi,

First post here...

I just bought the 3X-S (dirt cheap, as it was a used rc) and my first trip with the car to the track ended with a striped belt.

So I read the previous entry regarding how to take apart the car to get a new belt in, but here's the problem, which hex's do I need to take apart the car to get the belt out?

I was hoping for some links on Ebay or similar.

With regards
Anders Risager
Anders , here you go. Metric screw set as you requested.

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...oducts_id/2376

Even after using a Team Magic E4FS very successfully, I have now purchased another XXX-S to use in VTA. Thats how much I love it. Still one of the better cars. Good Luck and Happy Racing with yours.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Really appreciate all the help from you guys, this is why I go to forums for help ;-)

I actually ended up getting the screws out using an assortment of small Torx bits, that fit into the screw heads.

Took me about an hour to get the worn belt out and the new one in, but now we're cooking ;-)...

I also found some time to install a new motor (had an old Traxxas 12T 550 motor lying around) and dremel'ed out the chassis to make the bigger motor fit.

Still fiddling with how tight the belt should be, but I'm sure I'll work out all the kinks soon.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wonder if Losi / Horizon will ever put effort in another touring car design. Saw a new in box JRX-S Type R for $200 at LHS. Sitting next to a $400 TC5 kit, looks like LHS is desperately trying to get rid of the Losi kit.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by superspeed
I wonder if Losi / Horizon will ever put effort in another touring car design. Saw a new in box JRX-S Type R for $200 at LHS. Sitting next to a $400 TC5 kit, looks like LHS is desperately trying to get rid of the Losi kit.
Actually, Losi lowered the sale price of the JRXS-R down to $199. An attempt to simply sell existing inventory at cost I imagine. Hard to believe they'll never make another touring car since they've always been at the top of the heap Then again....the heap has gotten bigger with all the different manufacturers and some pretty decent designs ( like the Sakura) being sold at reasonable prices.

Personally I wish they'd do a re-design on the XXXS platform.

Anders...congrats on getting your X up and running. It's a great car.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Ahhh memories,
I still have a couple chassis and some parts lying around for my XXXS's
They were my first real touring cars, I had a great time with them, they raced pretty good right out of the box and parts were cheap and easy to find.
Great Car. good memories

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.