Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

With a run away rock
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wildman
How do you catch a runaway rock crawler?
Stand in front of it, and wait 10 minutes for it to get there.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wildman
How do you catch a runaway rock crawler?
Funny you should ask i finally found a good use for 12th scales. They make great wheel chocks!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Few notes from the meeting last night regarding wild about wheels:

1. Entry Fees will be $15 first class and $10 each additional.
2. Classes will be VTA, WGT, 1/12 Blinky 17.5, and 1/12 13.5 open (will add a Touring class with enough interest)
3. Scentless traction compound (SXT, Jack the Gripper, Sticky Fingers ect.)
-Dont want to have everyones show cars smelling like paragon at the end of the weekend
4. Teardown Wed. the 16th at north hill track.
5. Eric G. is working on a flyer, should have it available by the weekend.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up Race Flyer

Here is the flyer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wild About Wheels R.pdf (305.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

First, on the download a flyer contest.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Congrats Bob on winning TQ today! You will get your prize at the race
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedchic
Congrats Bob on winning TQ today! You will get your prize at the race
NICE! I knew all my button clicking would pay off.

<---like butter, I'm on a roll!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

So Randy,

This race is all about the crowds and hoepfully bringing some new blood into the community locally. nice to have a few more folks around to help with track stuff, and pay some race fees. It's good for everybody.

I've got this nagging thing going on in the back of my mind, like last year. I think we need to build some bomber pan cars. Use up a persons old crap and some new crap. Brushed speed controls, hammered WGT tires, etc.

Kind of like VTA but more loosely based on a WGT car. (or old pan car).

Silver can Tamiya motors (only $15 even when brand new), use old brushed controllers, most of us have to many of.

use the Mcallister mid 50's sedan bodies. either run them on the road course or when designing the track, make it so only 1 or 2 boards needs "slid" out of the way and we can run OVAL with them. Something the crowd can get behind and recognize!

It's about the fans. that's all I'm about. I remember last year, nobody cared about 1/12th (the crowd), but VTA rolled aound and the crowds got deep.

I dunno, just tossing out ideas. I'd be willing to bet we could scrounge up a solid heat of "bombers", out of old un-used race cars. how many of those old Parma cars are still laying around minot from back in the day? the days of thunder cars?

I could even build a fun little MPH gauge you put your car on. Set everybody to 20mph and have at it. I think the majority of us are more concerned about fair and having a good time. It would work fine.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spare old cars

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
So Randy,

This race is all about the crowds and hoepfully bringing some new blood into the community locally. nice to have a few more folks around to help with track stuff, and pay some race fees. It's good for everybody.

I've got this nagging thing going on in the back of my mind, like last year. I think we need to build some bomber pan cars. Use up a persons old crap and some new crap. Brushed speed controls, hammered WGT tires, etc.

Kind of like VTA but more loosely based on a WGT car. (or old pan car).

Silver can Tamiya motors (only $15 even when brand new), use old brushed controllers, most of us have to many of.

use the Mcallister mid 50's sedan bodies. either run them on the road course or when designing the track, make it so only 1 or 2 boards needs "slid" out of the way and we can run OVAL with them. Something the crowd can get behind and recognize!

It's about the fans. that's all I'm about. I remember last year, nobody cared about 1/12th (the crowd), but VTA rolled aound and the crowds got deep.

I dunno, just tossing out ideas. I'd be willing to bet we could scrounge up a solid heat of "bombers", out of old un-used race cars. how many of those old Parma cars are still laying around minot from back in the day? the days of thunder cars?

I could even build a fun little MPH gauge you put your car on. Set everybody to 20mph and have at it. I think the majority of us are more concerned about fair and having a good time. It would work fine.

This Idea is a good one!!! I think we all would like to see something like this happen!! I definately think we could take a little time at the race to let some fans take a stab at the wheel, maybe we would get just the right guy hooked that had a building for us to race in? I definately think there would be alot of extra motors and speedos laying about but as for cars I am not sure. Lets see what we can do here on rc-tech to find some stuff to put together as well as some people that would help build them. I would have lots of motors and a couple of speedos but not much as far as cars. There has to be alot of old corally's around somewhere? Lets all take an inventory and list what we have! The Wild about Wheels organization would also like to see this happen.

Randy
Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Here's my suggestion. We need to work within what we have around to put as many cars on the track as possible and have a good time, put on a show, at the show.

We design the track so that with a simple move of perhaps 2 boards, it's an oval. I'd be happy to do that, I think I'm pretty clever at track design, pop me a dimension.

to make use of existing cars we also race the car we all race out at Marlins. the 17.5 oval cars, the real race cars. AND we have a heat of bombers. Bombers is not adding complexity or expense. Done right you'll only have to buy a body, and scrounge a crappy tamiya silver can motor that came stock in some kit.

the Bomber rules (tentatively)
1) pan car, 235mm wide max.
2) Bomber body, one of these 2, from McAllister.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
3) Tamiya silver can motor
4) Speed limited to 20mph (will have tool made by then).
5) weight, I'll come with something.

Evan and I are working on this right now. I'll let you know the best possible rules set and some gearing by tomorrow. I'd like to see it be so fair that it would blow your mind, and so cheap it would blow mine. and I'm pretty handy at recycling a race car.

I could maybe get Randon to make some handout flyers (all glossy and amazing looking). With local contact information and what's going on, and how to go about it. I think we have that kind of time. we could maybe get 1000 of 'em for $200 (Stormer hobbies would pay that.) We could list Minot and Pingree contacts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-27-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

I thought of one more fun and easy to tech "bomber" rule.

if you win a heat or main by more than 4 seconds, it doesn't count and you forfeit to 2nd place. Forces racers to look out for one another and keep a good looking event. Plus, adds a fun twist. I can't imagine anybody griping about a rule like that.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds like fun! Now i have to find another pan car! Do we want to limit it to just those bodies. How bout anything old?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pedeoff
Sounds like fun! Now i have to find another pan car! Do we want to limit it to just those bodies. How bout anything old?
I'm pretty up on bodys. There's not a lot of options to look like bomber bodies from that era. We have VTA. so that era is covered. Parma makes a few things that could maybe work, but they are VERY heavy and weren't cars that ever saw a track, like a wagon.

I think if a guy is gonna buy a body, let's make it look good for the crowd and keep them similar. we stick with those 2 McAlliser bodys, it's gonna look great on the track. And we'll all have a good time.

I just finished up the first test car. It's surprisingly fast with a gearing of 25/125, silver can, on 2s (3600mah 20c pack) on a novak duster speedo, with a big rr tire. we'll have to enforce a mph rule. I'll get to work on making that tool. Chassis is a VERY old TRC spec pan car, no tweak screws, they look to be about 209mm at the back in width. nice fit on the body. I'd like the tires to hang out a bit. make it look more like a Saturday night "bomber" and add a lot of "pucker" because of the open wheel nature of racing.

This is old equipment but it's still fast.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Im working with a guy on a sellin my corally stuff at the moment. If I do not get them sold I will put one together. Bob you gonna hook us up with a deal on body's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.