Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tub vs. Carbon Fiber vs. Alum Chassis >

Tub vs. Carbon Fiber vs. Alum Chassis

Old 04-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tub vs. Carbon Fiber vs. Alum Chassis

which is (generally) the "better" chassis?

Tub: heavier, less flex
Carbon Fiber: lighter, less flex
Alum: Ihave no idea....
Old 04-26-2002, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

For an electric car, and aluminium chassis is definitely the worst, because of it's weight, and the fact you don't need that much cooling surface, along with the risk of shorting your electrical components.

A tub in plain plastic (Tamiya-style) will be quite soft and heavy.

A tub in graphite mix plastic (Losi, Associated) will probably be quite even on strength and lightness to a plate graphite chassis - however both are stiff, so the actual design of the car starts to play a bigger role in how stiff the vehicle is, depending on the chassis mounting points and the other structural components.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Carbon Fiber
Old 04-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

is aluminium so heavy to electric car???

Graphite chassis very expensive....tot of whether there is other ways to change the chassis to make it durable....beside the graphite example alumnium chassis where they use for GP cars?? think will be more durable than Graphite and cheaper oso...
Old 04-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Graphite sheets are actually quite cheap, it's the machining process that makes them expensive, but aluminum needs the exact same process to make the finished product. Graphite is also much stronger than aluminum. To get the same rigidity from aluminum you need to use a much heavier/ thicker piece. Infact look at the price of the Megatech Graphite chassis $120 nd it includes machined aluminum motor mounts and bearing carriers. Hardcore sells the same chassis, but machined aluminum or titanium and it costs over $200!!!! Now which is cheaper????

For production molded chassis' are the ultimate cheap and durable (if molded properly), but are also the most prone to breakage (if not molded properly).

However nothing beats the hightech cool look of a woven graphite dual deck tourer!!!!
Old 04-26-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

The molded tub is much more durable than the sheet carbon fiber because the sheet carbon fiber is more likely to demalinate. This is because in the molded graphite tub the fibers go in every which direction.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Nothing beats a good looking piece of carbon fiber! I have used many offroad cars, and even a few onroad with the molded tubs (Yokomo, and Tamiya) The only real disadvantage I see in the molded chassis is that they tend to tweek after time. The key areas around the motor and battery get hot and deform after a while. After all a tub mearly thick "goo" according to a RCCA article I read a few months ago.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

That thick goo is the same epoxy that is used on the carbon fiber sheets too, it just has powdered stuff in it to make it black.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

so the conclusion is graphite is still better than aluminium?

Another question that i will like to ask the racers out there. any recommendations for adjustable dampers besidet he TRF dampers from Tamiya?

Bought a adjustable ones, brand Top Cad, maybe noone heard before but since i wanted a adjustable ones and TRF damper is limited ones, so i bought it but the problem is the cap is not like tamiya ones, not flat one and it soes not come with oil seal...so after a few runs, the oil seems to be leaking....any pro have any suggestions or advice to help me out??

Thanx
Old 04-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

yea...i wanted a IRS Chassis....and they said it had too mch flex so the tub was better.....is graphite is better...why dotn the pros use em?
Old 04-26-2002, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

those carbon fiber chassis conversions are not very popular with pro drivers. maybe because the chassis is already superb. unless its the hpi pro 3. your tc3's tub will be fine.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by was ist los?
those carbon fiber chassis conversions are not very popular with pro drivers. maybe because the chassis is already superb. unless its the hpi pro 3. your tc3's tub will be fine.
BUT THE IRS LOOKS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD *drools*.............
Old 04-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

IRS CHASSIS WORKS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Modena AL
IRS CHASSIS WORKS SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

do i know you? no...bug off...me>you hahhahahahahaha
Old 04-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by IceBerG71
so the conclusion is graphite is still better than aluminium?

Another question that i will like to ask the racers out there. any recommendations for adjustable dampers besidet he TRF dampers from Tamiya?
Yokomo Dampers. Swan has them in stock, last I went. Not cheap but the ppl using them on MR4s and TA04s tell me they're good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.