Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 11-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
No issues. I use a little bit of drag brake (10-15%) this aids to transfer the weight forwards and get the front end turned in. This is particularly useful for people coming from the brushed motor days as brushless motors spin a lot freer so the motor braking is a lot less.

To get more steering on the 411 just put 4mm shims below the steering block pivot ball that you connect the steering link to. This straightens the steering link and will give you more steering without making the car loose at the rear. We used to flip the steering blocks left/right but that messed with the caster too much so found the shims worked better. Try it and see.
I tried a tad bit of drag brake and Ackerman shims today and the car finally feels planted in the rear and able to carve out pretty much any line I choose in the corners. I haven't driven for almost two weeks (VRC not included lol) but the Ackerman works wonders. I never really played with the Ackerman settings before but it's a night and day improvement. The car feels dialed! I'd be up you know who creek without you guys. Thanks again.

One more thing... I noticed my center shaft bearings getting a little rougher than I'd like. Is it possible to remove the shield and lube or should i just buy another set???
Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

When it come to bearings I find it's easyier to replace then repair. At the cost of $1 each it's not worth the 15-20 min you will spend trying to get the carpet/dirt out of them. Rpm makes a bearing cleaner that works pretty well.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by swerv512
I tried a tad bit of drag brake and Ackerman shims today and the car finally feels planted in the rear and able to carve out pretty much any line I choose in the corners. I haven't driven for almost two weeks (VRC not included lol) but the Ackerman works wonders. I never really played with the Ackerman settings before but it's a night and day improvement. The car feels dialed! I'd be up you know who creek without you guys. Thanks again.

One more thing... I noticed my center shaft bearings getting a little rougher than I'd like. Is it possible to remove the shield and lube or should i just buy another set???
You want to have spares of those. They take a lot of load and usually fail at the most inopurtune time. A good indicator of when these are starting to fail is usually unexplained damage to your spur gear.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Just serviced all the bearings last night-they feel silky smooth now. I have replacements on the way now as well.

The serpent model number for the center bearings shows a flanged and a non-flanged bearing depending on which website i go to. The OE unit is non-flanged. Would a flanged bearing work- I only ask because the flanged bearing I see has a rubber shield versus the metal shielded non-flnaged unit.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Just serviced all the bearings last night-they feel silky smooth now. I have replacements on the way now as well.

The serpent model number for the center bearings shows a flanged and a non-flanged bearing depending on which website i go to. The OE unit is non-flanged. Would a flanged bearing work- I only ask because the flanged bearing I see has a rubber shield versus the metal shielded non-flnaged unit.
I have only ever seen a non-flanged bearing used in that application, metal shielded.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Just broke my second final gear on my steering servo using the optional aluminum servo arm from serpent. At least I had a spare servo to swap out yesterday.

The kimborough medium servo saver I bought doesn't have the height the aluminum servo arm has and it gives me issues because the lower height to the top hole means I have issues rubbing the carbon servo brace. I measured 21mm center to center of the optional aluminum serpent arm I use...

I race Sportsman so the chance of not hitting anything or any car is low but I can't keep replacing servo gears every outing.

Does the serpent servo saver work without issue on the Eryx 2.0?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just broke my second final gear on my steering servo using the optional aluminum servo arm from serpent. At least I had a spare servo to swap out yesterday.

The kimborough medium servo saver I bought doesn't have the height the aluminum servo arm has and it gives me issues because the lower height to the top hole means I have issues rubbing the carbon servo brace. I measured 21mm center to center of the optional aluminum serpent arm I use...

I race Sportsman so the chance of not hitting anything or any car is low but I can't keep replacing servo gears every outing.

Thanks guys.
Try using the Durango HD servo saver. It's $7, and comes with 3 different servo arms, one of which is narrow where the tie rod attaches to it and is perfect for the car. There are 2 versions of this servo saver, so make sure you get the one that says HD as the internal springs are stiffer.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've installed a gear diff in place of the spool in the front of my S411. Car works well, steers beautifully. I noticed today, however, that there's some play on either side of the diff. Specifically, the belt adjusters are kind of loose and can move side to side and up/down a little. Is there an adjustment to tighten this up? Shim it out?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CamLS
Try using the Durango HD servo saver. It's $7, and comes with 3 different servo arms, one of which is narrow where the tie rod attaches to it and is perfect for the car. There are 2 versions of this servo saver, so make sure you get the one that says HD as the internal springs are stiffer.
Ordered one. Hopefully it works. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys.
You should still dry check for clearance all the way through the rotation of the servo saver big end to the carbon fiber servo mount. You want to make sure the big hub doesn't rub anywhere on the inside and also make sure that the head of the screw that secures the drag link doesn't rub the top of the mount. I usually use a sanding drum and open up the inner area a bit and also camfer the top edge for the screw head clearance. this all really depends on how high or low you mount the servo and how far in or out you space the servo in the mount.

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I've installed a gear diff in place of the spool in the front of my S411. Car works well, steers beautifully. I noticed today, however, that there's some play on either side of the diff. Specifically, the belt adjusters are kind of loose and can move side to side and up/down a little. Is there an adjustment to tighten this up? Shim it out?
Jim, its best to let them float as is. I have never had a issue with the slight amount of free movement. Much nicer than trying to put small shims between the bulkheads to get the free float.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good enough. Thanks Gary.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
You should still dry check for clearance all the way through the rotation of the servo saver big end to the carbon fiber servo mount. You want to make sure the big hub doesn't rub anywhere on the inside and also make sure that the head of the screw that secures the drag link doesn't rub the top of the mount. I usually use a sanding drum and open up the inner area a bit and also camfer the top edge for the screw head clearance. this all really depends on how high or low you mount the servo and how far in or out you space the servo in the mount.
Any pics to share?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone used the Team Durango 64p spur gears with their Serpent's? I'd like to try the 100t 64p V2 spur as the stock for the 96/100 tooth Serpent model seems to be hard to find.

Any other brand of spur gears that fits the Serpent's?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CamLS
Has anyone used the Team Durango 64p spur gears with their Serpent's? I'd like to try the 100t 64p V2 spur as the stock for the 96/100 tooth Serpent model seems to be hard to find.

Any other brand of spur gears that fits the Serpent's?
Xray, Assoc/Kimbro will work, I think the Durango will work as well....just about anything that has that mutiple holed type gear works.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ARC gears work in a pinch also..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.