Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Martin on the website it shows pics of the app, In some of the screenshots it looks like there are added options if you get the app for the Iphone/pad products over the android products. Am I seeing things?
Yes...the Android version does not have the ability to store your setups on the device.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
To quote my own post
Am i the only one with this problem ?
The 48P 87T spur dont fits , the spur is blocked complete on the chassis.
But the strange thing is , that i use the original spur from Serpent.
Really dont get it .
I'll have a look at my 411TE tonight. I have only run 81 and 84t spurs but I will check for clearance.

Simon
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Yes...the Android version does not have the ability to store your setups on the device.
Thanks Martin,
Thats why they made printers, I always bring my printed copies anyway.
Keep up the good work.

Last edited by rdlkgliders; 04-20-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team_Krusty
I'll have a look at my 411TE tonight. I have only run 81 and 84t spurs but I will check for clearance.

Simon
The clearance is tight with a 84t spur. I think you will run into trouble running anything bigger without chassis mods. Even with the mods the spur will be close to the level of the bottom of the deck making it easier to damage if you are running the car outdoors.

Simon
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Another decent night with the snake. Man I am really liking this car.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Team_Krusty
The clearance is tight with a 84t spur. I think you will run into trouble running anything bigger without chassis mods. Even with the mods the spur will be close to the level of the bottom of the deck making it easier to damage if you are running the car outdoors.

Simon
True , without any mods on the chassis its impossible for sure.
Anyway , there is allways a way to find a gearing with 84T or smaller.
But the strange thing is that they sell 87T spur from Serpent for the s411 and it dont fits.
No bad things about Serpent at all , for me there has been allways one brand for rc car and thats Serpent.
But they have made all kinds of spur sizes to sell , but forgot try to fit it on the chassis i think.

So this weekend we had the first clubrace here.
I placed my car second on the grid and finished first , with some luck but thats racing.
Very easy but fast car to drive .
Before the race my best lap was 20.4 , after this weekend i set my fastest lap on 18.7.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default manual error?

It should be noted for those looking to order spare bearings for your S411-TE layshaft, that the maul states 5x8x2.5mm flanged #1338.

However they are more likely to be #1311 or something similar - 5x8x2.5mm non-flanged, standard bearings.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default First race with team edition

So this past weekend I raced at a ROAR regional race being held at The Gate in Ohio. This was the first time my new team edition cars hit the track and I was very much looking forward to the event with Andrew Hardman, Dave Johnson racing in mod tc. There was also a new young gun Blake Keulen who is 11 years old and looks like Andrew's little brother who was very fast as well running mod. Both Andrew and Blake are the future of RC for sure.

I arrived late for practice on Friday and my alarm went did not go off on saturday morning, so my practice time was very limited, which was too bad, as I took me a while to get use to the new shocks in the Team Edition. The new shocks have a bladder but more importantly have two "O rings" in the bottom of the shock body, making the shock have much more resistance than the older shocks. I initially did not pick up on this until late Saturday morning....ooopss. So I tried to make them feel lighter by going to four hole pistons and 30w instead of 40w oil. Althought I did not have any traction roll issues in my limited practice, I traction rolled in all 3 qualifiers while on tq pace loosing the tq to Andrew, as we were running about the same pace. I never did figure out a setup to prevent my traction rolling, I tried three different changes to the shock package as I was convinced that was what was causing the traction rolling, but none of my changes corrected the issue. I am sure I would have figured it out eventually but just ran out of time.

In the main both Andrew and I had missed our setups and had cars that were very difficult to drive. Andrew's car was very loose and mine was very close to traction rolling in the sweeper and went up on two wheels a few times.

In the end Andrew's car was so loose that on lap two he spun into the boards on one of the corners allowing me to take the lead. He was able to catch up to me towards the end of the race as I had to take it so slow through the sweeper, but time eventually ran out for Andrew and I managed to take the win. Andrew had the fast lap of the weekend with an 8.6 and me with an 8.7.

Neither of us were happy about our cars in the main so it was not the race we wanted, as we enjoy racing each other.

I have to also say it was great to see my friend Steve Bortoloti out running Touring car modified, as he has been doing offroad racing only for the past few years. Welcome back Steve.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default COOL.

Martin, i look forward to hearing more about this issue with the new shock as i am looking to get a team edition for a 3rd car. did you drill a small hole in the caps to make the shocks "dead"? also , can you give me an idea what you were running for setup for that race? mostly downstops, camber, ball stud shims, hardness of parts, and ride height. thx. a small group of us ran at r/car in indianapolis last week. between that track and our local track we have pretty good sweepers. knowing more about setup you used with the new kit/shocks would help a ton. thanks!

So this past weekend I raced at a ROAR regional race being held at The Gate in Ohio. This was the first time my new team edition cars hit the track and I was very much looking forward to the event with Andrew Hardman, Dave Johnson racing in mod tc. There was also a new young gun Blake Keulen who is 11 years old and looks like Andrew's little brother who was very fast as well running mod. Both Andrew and Blake are the future of RC for sure.

I arrived late for practice on Friday and my alarm went did not go off on saturday morning, so my practice time was very limited, which was too bad, as I took me a while to get use to the new shocks in the Team Edition. The new shocks have a bladder but more importantly have two "O rings" in the bottom of the shock body, making the shock have much more resistance than the older shocks. I initially did not pick up on this until late Saturday morning....ooopss. So I tried to make them feel lighter by going to four hole pistons and 30w instead of 40w oil. Althought I did not have any traction roll issues in my limited practice, I traction rolled in all 3 qualifiers while on tq pace loosing the tq to Andrew, as we were running about the same pace. I never did figure out a setup to prevent my traction rolling, I tried three different changes to the shock package as I was convinced that was what was causing the traction rolling, but none of my changes corrected the issue. I am sure I would have figured it out eventually but just ran out of time.

In the main both Andrew and I had missed our setups and had cars that were very difficult to drive. Andrew's car was very loose and mine was very close to traction rolling in the sweeper and went up on two wheels a few times.

In the end Andrew's car was so loose that on lap two he spun into the boards on one of the corners allowing me to take the lead. He was able to catch up to me towards the end of the race as I had to take it so slow through the sweeper, but time eventually ran out for Andrew and I managed to take the win. Andrew had the fast lap of the weekend with an 8.6 and me with an 8.7.

Neither of us were happy about our cars in the main so it was not the race we wanted, as we enjoy racing each other.

I have to also say it was great to see my friend Steve Bortoloti out running Touring car modified, as he has been doing offroad racing only for the past few years. Welcome back Steve.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I couldn't make the A main today I had a little trouble adjusting to the heat mid 90's so I made a tire change front shock position change and slight rear droop change and the car was better. I could not overcome the bad first heat to get into the A main so I settled for a B main win. I am still very impressed with how the car reacts to minor changes.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI
Martin, i look forward to hearing more about this issue with the new shock as i am looking to get a team edition for a 3rd car. did you drill a small hole in the caps to make the shocks "dead"? also , can you give me an idea what you were running for setup for that race? mostly downstops, camber, ball stud shims, hardness of parts, and ride height. thx. a small group of us ran at r/car in indianapolis last week. between that track and our local track we have pretty good sweepers. knowing more about setup you used with the new kit/shocks would help a ton. thanks!
The alloy caps for the new shocks already have a bleeding hole so you don't need to drill a hole in the plastic portion. I was able to et the shocks to feel dead without drilling any holes. I think getting the shocks to feel the way I like them will take some more testing than I had time to do during that weekend. I actually ended up switching to the old shocks for part way through the qualifiers just to see if it was the shock package causing my traction roll issues. The car continued to traction roll even with the old shocks so it was not the new shocks causing the traction roll issues.

The next thing I would have changed was my front roll center as I was running a higher front roll center than I normally do, to get the car to rotate hard off the corner under power. Paul C, comment to me after the main that my car looked like the front was staying flat and the rear was rolling over too much...which for sure is what was causing the traction roll. he thought maybe my front springs were too hard, but I ran the same springs front and rear (hpi silver). I believe it was my front roll center being too high. I normally run 5mm of inboard spacers on the front, but I was running 3-4mm. Most certainly that is what was causing the traction roll as I was running 4mm inboard on the rear as well, which explains what Paul was able to see.

I normally run a softer spring like the serpent whites, but I was trying to maximize corner speed by not allowing the chassis to rub, which is why I tried the hpi silver. I just ran out of time to find the right setup with the new ideas I was trying (i.e higher front roll center and harder springs and less rear toe).

I think my Canadian champs setup would be a very good setup for that track. It can be found on the serpent site. Perhaps I should have just ran that, but I always like to keep trying new things to see if I can improve the lap times.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

The alloy caps for the new shocks already have a bleeding hole so you don't need to drill a hole in the plastic portion. I was able to et the shocks to feel dead without drilling any holes. I think getting the shocks to feel the way I like them will take some more testing than I had time to do during that weekend. I actually ended up switching to the old shocks for part way through the qualifiers just to see if it was the shock package causing my traction roll issues. The car continued to traction roll even with the old shocks so it was not the new shocks causing the traction roll issues.

The next thing I would have changed was my front roll center as I was running a higher front roll center than I normally do, to get the car to rotate hard off the corner under power. Paul C, comment to me after the main that my car looked lik
e the front was staying flat and the rear was rolling over too much...which for sure is what was causing the traction roll. he thought maybe my front springs were too hard, but I ran the same springs front and rear (hpi silver). I believe it was my front roll center being too high. I normally run 5mm of inboard spacers on the front, but I was running 3-4mm. Most certainly that is what was causing the traction roll as I was running 4mm inboard on the rear as well, which explains what Paul was able to see.

I normally run a softer spring like the serpent whites, but I was trying to maximize corner speed by not allowing the chassis to rub, which is why I tried the hpi silver. I just ran out of time to find the right setup with the new ideas I was trying (i.e higher front roll center and harder springs and less rear toe).

I think my Canadian champs setup would be a very good setup for that track. It can be found on the serpent site. Perhaps I should have just ran that, but I always like to keep trying new things to see if I can improve the lap times.
Hey Martin, Any differences with the new gear diffs, an also on the shocks can you maybe run just one O-ring kinda like the Xray aluminum shocks to lessen the resistance in them?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Default Martin

thanks for that input
Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JETT
Hey Martin, Any differences with the new gear diffs, an also on the shocks can you maybe run just one O-ring kinda like the Xray aluminum shocks to lessen the resistance in them?
Yeah i would have run just the one oring but i was not able to find the right spacers to fill the gap left benind by removing one of the o rings.

The new gears are smoother.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Default batts

anyone use the stock plastic battery mounts with a velcro strap? trying to get away from the tape but im not sure which velcro straps will work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.