Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

It will smooth out relatively quick, I think the design on the car is very good.
The finish machining and tolerances are not perfect but very easy to work around. In time I believe serpent will deliver a near perfect kit. The car is very new still and serpent has been very good at addressing the issues thier have been. I would buy it again, I think it is very important that we share what we find and let Serpent know. I know when the team drivers on this thread read stuff they usually offer either a solution or give feedback to serpent. I have spoken to Ricardo and others at Desoto and they have been great.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
It will smooth out relatively quick, I think the design on the car is very good.
The finish machining and tolerances are not perfect but very easy to work around. In time I believe serpent will deliver a near perfect kit. The car is very new still and serpent has been very good at addressing the issues thier have been. I would buy it again, I think it is very important that we share what we find and let Serpent know. I know when the team drivers on this thread read stuff they usually offer either a solution or give feedback to serpent. I have spoken to Ricardo and others at Desoto and they have been great.
The car is quite nice on build and quality of material used. One problem, which I've seen on other car makes too is when I put it on a setup station I can't get my rear toe to be a true 3 degrees. One side is on 3 and the other would be like 2 or 2.5. I've been able to remedy this on a couple of my cars with aluminum uprights. Are you having any rear toe issues like this?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

No my toe is pretty on the only tuning issue at all is that it doesn't hold rear camber well but I do not worry about that much it is easily fixed.
Once setup the car has been very driveable I made almost know adjustments all day and ran well 2nd in the a main which is about where I should be with the hotshoes I run with. I only finish that high from consistency.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JETT
Thanks. I currently have been running without the two shims and using losi 50 w oil in the diff but its not as smooth as my yokomo gear diff with the same weight, but at least the serpent diff doesn't leak. I have just received the v2 diff so hopefully it will be smoother.

Take note that the V2 diff casing is slightly wider so it will cause axle bind with more negative camber settings, the pin cushion may require some trimming to get a free travel movement.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Take note that the V2 diff casing is slightly wider so it will cause axle bind with more negative camber settings, the pin cushion may require some trimming to get a free travel movement.
Sure will thanks Johnny.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

No my toe is pretty on the only tuning issue at all is that it doesn't hold rear camber well but I do not worry about that much it is easily fixed.
Once setup the car has been very driveable I made almost know adjustments all day and ran well 2nd in the a main which is about where I should be with the hotshoes I run with. I only finish that high from consistency.
Are you running carpet or asphalt. Im needing a good setup for asphalt parking lot medium grip. No sweepers. Bunch of hair pin turns.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JETT
Are you running carpet or asphalt. Im needing a good setup for asphalt parking lot medium grip. No sweepers. Bunch of hair pin turns.

Asphalt pm me with your email and I will send a setup.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Initiate

When i am looking to setup sheets from different drivers , i see allmost everybody running a spool in front.
In this tread i have read the the different is the characteristics and aggressiveness of the car.
But u run with a diff in the front i get less wear of the driveshafts , right ?

So why is allmost everybody running a spool in front ?

grtz , Kevin
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
When i am looking to setup sheets from different drivers , i see allmost everybody running a spool in front.
In this tread i have read the the different is the characteristics and aggressiveness of the car.
But u run with a diff in the front i get less wear of the driveshafts , right ?

So why is allmost everybody running a spool in front ?

grtz , Kevin

One of my setups posted uses a geardiff 500k setting, the reason I did this was to get better turn in on a very free feeling car, it was a limited power motor so I wanted as little scrub as possible.

Usually the spool helps to pull the car out of the corners better. There is definitely less shock on the driveshafts. The Serpent spool outdrives the wear is considerably better than most setups. I can say that I have run spools in the front that use pin cushions and a few times when the cushion goes the car is very hard to drive. That said, I would prefer to run a spool without any cushion over one with.

The one thing I do with my spools, is after the bearings are on, I shrink wrap the outdrive and then put some black grease into the cups for a bit of a cushion. I do this the keep the grease in and not spray the rear of the car. Since Ive done this the axle pins show very little wear, compared to when I would run them dry.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Asphalt pm me with your email and I will send a setup.

+1
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
One of my setups posted uses a geardiff 500k setting, the reason I did this was to get better turn in on a very free feeling car, it was a limited power motor so I wanted as little scrub as possible.

Usually the spool helps to pull the car out of the corners better. There is definitely less shock on the driveshafts. The Serpent spool outdrives the wear is considerably better than most setups. I can say that I have run spools in the front that use pin cushions and a few times when the cushion goes the car is very hard to drive. That said, I would prefer to run a spool without any cushion over one with.

The one thing I do with my spools, is after the bearings are on, I shrink wrap the outdrive and then put some black grease into the cups for a bit of a cushion. I do this the keep the grease in and not spray the rear of the car. Since Ive done this the axle pins show very little wear, compared to when I would run them dry.
Indeed , thats also a option to decrease the wear of the driveshaftpins or the outdrives.
Somebody who used the driveshaft adaptor delrin (401428) allready ?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know there is going to be some bias in here but I am trying to decide between the serpent s411 team edition or the xray t3 2012. It is hard for me not to go with the xray since I have heard nothing but good things about it. Anyone in here wanna convince me to go with the serpent instead?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
Indeed , thats also a option to decrease the wear of the driveshaftpins or the outdrives.
Somebody who used the driveshaft adaptor delrin (401428) allready ?
The Delrin outdrives are very shallow and puts a lot of pressure on the very end of the outdrive, thus it makes them on the fragile side for the normal club driver. Most have had little success in running them, stock outdrive is by far the most durable.

I probably have close to 5000+ laps on the original outdrives and axles and they show little to no wear, its really not a weak point on the car.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When r the new shocks gonna be avalible
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WD40
I know there is going to be some bias in here but I am trying to decide between the serpent s411 team edition or the xray t3 2012. It is hard for me not to go with the xray since I have heard nothing but good things about it. Anyone in here wanna convince me to go with the serpent instead?
i bought one, bought another, and am looking for a 3rd, i just grabbed a s400 out of the netherlands for a foam car. i ran a t3'11 last season, and wont go back to the car. (opinion). im more than happy with the 411. its a breeze to drive and for me i've only made quick easy changes from track to track and it has been money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.