Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manu_05'
You flip the arm ???

Why ?
If you run the rack with the arms in the stock location the rack is high and it really raises the angle of the link to the steering hub (big bump steer). You can probably adjust it by shims, but can't get it out completely. If you run them flipped you can get a level link.

It also makes the link to the servo at a little nicer angle.

If you get the right size ball end wrench you can still change the ackerman spacers without a lot of dis-assembly.

It should be noted if you run the V2 this way, to get full lock on the steering, you will have to file the corner of the tape holder just slightly for the arm clearance, but this won't weaken the holder.

I don't think it being a lowered mass on the chassis has any bearing on this.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI
I ASSUME YOU ARE REFERING TO THE STEERING ARMS? IN THE CENTER WITH THE ACKERMAN PLATE?

I LIKE THE BUMPER MOD. I DESTROYED A 2MM CHASSIS BECAUSE OF BUMPER FLEX. I KEPT THE CHASSIS AND WILL CUT IT UP TO DO THIS. GOOD IDEA ON THAT DESIGN

I forgot to say that the piece is made of kydex, its about 2 to 3mm thick. Its just thick enough that any back movement of the bumper will hit the bulkheads well before the chassis snaps.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Under the aluminum mount and bulkhead raising the shock tower? or in between the CF shock tower and bulkhead? I assume the firsrt it just seems that would create some up down movement in the diff.
Its between the aluminum mount and the bulkhead. Honestly of all the cars I have owned the S411 has the least amount of bind in this area, as a matter of fact you can actually see the cams moving slightly if you poke at them, so I don't think the bind is in that area. I guess in build tolerances some may be tight but I haven't had one yet.

I can say I have 2 cars and the one with a lot of run time on it is much freer yet I can't find the difference between the 2 that would make one better than the other, just track time.

The Serpent bearings are pretty good, although I did have one that felt looser in the race area, enough that it made for some inconsistent chassis settings. But only one bearing out of 2 cars again.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Do you find it necessary to use that much steering where you need to file battery holder? I think I will adjust endpoints so that I do not hit and modify if I want a little extra steering.
Great catch tough I would not have noticed that right away
Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Do you find it necessary to use that much steering where you need to file battery holder? I think I will adjust endpoints so that I do not hit and modify if I want a little extra steering.
Great catch tough I would not have noticed that right away
Nope, but its there if you need it.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (94%+)

Under the aluminum mount and bulkhead raising the shock tower? or in between the CF shock tower and bulkhead? I assume the firsrt it just seems that would create some up down movement in the diff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQImjJ_cYm0
Go to 3:45. do this both front and rear. once done, undo your pinion and without the shims it will only turn once but with 0.2mm shims it will spin a few times
Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Speaking of the steering rack. On the v1 there are 3x5x.5 shims that are used. However I can not find the part number in the manual.. or anywhere I can buy them.

Ideas??
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor
Speaking of the steering rack. On the v1 there are 3x5x.5 shims that are used. However I can not find the part number in the manual.. or anywhere I can buy them.

Ideas??
On page 55 of the manual in the reference section with the blow up pictures you will find the only reference to P/N 401139 but this part number is not listed on the serpent site anywhere. This is the closest thing i could find. http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...-12pcs-p-19658
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default MODDED DECKS

HERE ARE THE MODDED DECKS I JUST DID. THE ONE ON THE LEFT IS STOCK. AND THE 3RD FROM THE LEFT IS THE FLEXY DECK. THE OTHER TWO I DID.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

nice work,
I am headed out for my first race day with the s411 and I was just told our series has been postponed so today will be a free race day with no points on the line.
We will see how my setup works it should be a learning experience.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I thought about doing my spare top deck as well with dremal did you mark it out with the flexy you already had. I was unsure whether or not I should do mine. What thickness have you got left ?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Default kinda

no i used the outer lines of the deck and marked it with a perm marker. if you notice, the two really flexy decks are different. one will allow the whole car to flex more and the other will allow the rear to flex more. just with the placement of the cuts. now, i have not run any of them yet, but i will this coming week during practice and race day. i have two cars built so i will be able to test several different combos. i have one with the 2mm chassis and one with the 2.5mm chassis. so i will try these decks on both cars on our low traction carpet track. its tight and its currently technical.

and to answer, these are all 2mm decks.

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
I thought about doing my spare top deck as well with dremal did you mark it out with the flexy you already had. I was unsure whether or not I should do mine. What thickness have you got left ?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Default ,,,

if you follow the outside lines of the deck with a sharpie, it will make nice lines for the dremel. i did the one deck that looks like the flexy shown all by hand with the dremel and a quick file job.

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone have a 2mm chassis they will part with?
I had a pretty good first day with the snake today finished 4th in a main behind the guys that are just faster and finished ahead of guys I am often behind.
Not bad I don't claim to be the fastest. The car was really fast in the flowing sections and good to drive, a little loose out of the tright stuff and are track is really tight and low to low mid traction.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Where can I get the the 3.5 rear bracket le orange, I thought I saw it and now nowhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.