Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

If anyone is looking here is a nice le
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...d-edition.html
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
I have been testing the new v2 down at here at the snowbirds race and it is an improvement over the stock one as it allows you to reduce the ackerman by adding spacers...giving more mid corner steering. The connection points being closer together also contributes to more steering as well.

I like the v2 with 2mm of spacers. I tried 3mm and 4mm as well, which gave more steering, but likely a setting better for outdoor.

Cheers.
Martian can you tell me if it's possible to change away a car rotates by changing the rear gear diff lube cst or weight?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

I am not Martin but as far as I know he is at the Snowbirds so I try to help you out. Yes, surely, the rear diff oil thickness plays a big role in how the car rotates. The lighter you go the more the car rotates off-throttle, less on-power steering and less steering while braking. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Martian can you tell me if it's possible to change away a car rotates by changing the rear gear diff lube cst or weight?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Gergely
I am not Martin but as far as I know he is at the Snowbirds so I try to help you out. Yes, surely, the rear diff oil thickness plays a big role in how the car rotates. The lighter you go the more the car rotates off-throttle, less on-power steering and less steering while braking. Hope this helps.
Well the kit calls for 1200 I think in the rear which I'm not sure exactly what that crosses over to weight wise...I was thinking of going say 60wt in the rear and having a 30wt and 45wt in the bag for testing.. I like a hair past nuetral car I don't want a car that really turns on the nose if u know what I mean..
Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Another question I have is what difference if any would it make to run an additional set of the small gears in the diff?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Casing & alum. gear !
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

#187 is almost built
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-s411.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by orcadigital
#187 is almost built
gorgeous!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
we just had a 2 day event, in Mod tourer, Serpent TQ and 2nd , Finals, S411 takes the win. just 0.9 secs off the fastest Time from our National Champ set in Nov last year for the 5 mins.
Car is just easy, lovin it.
very good mate, how the go in stock boosted ?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
very good mate, how the go in stock boosted ?
Neil got a podium. 3rd. very close battle for P1 from Rowen and Ross. came down to the last few corners, till Rowy over cooked it. was some very good racing. we all had fun. and the 966 E i got down to 14.6.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I'll have to check and let you know.
any success
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

I ran my S411 for the first time yesterday. I also own a 417 which I really like.

The car was not drivable with the stock setup in practice so I had to make a lot of changes for our medium-traction carpet track.

I went with 300 cst in rear diff, 500cst front shocks, 400cst rear. Ending up going with black front spring and rear white springs. I moved rear shocks to center hole on arm and shortened the rear link as much as possible. I also put on the thicker top plate 2.5mm.

The car has a ton of steering compared to my 417. I hope to change my front blocks to 2-2 compared to the stock configuration. Right now I don't have them yet.

I also changed droop quite a bit from stock having 2mm up travel in front ant 1mm in rear.

In the end I had to play a lot with servo speed and dual rates to get the car reasonably consistent.

An other suggestions for getting the car more consistent? I am hoping keeping the same block up front will take away that edginess that normally I like however on this car was hard to keep momentum going.

I wanted to try Martin's high grip setup however our track does doughnuts with Jaco tires so felt it wouldn't be the best way to go.

Any medium-low grip carpet setups out there worth looking at?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZORO1
Thanks. Are you and Marc running similar setups? Good luck.
Marc and I looked shared setup info, but we both did our own thing. The main difference was in the springs and the diff oil. He ran yokomo springs and I ran serpent springs, but the springs felt very close given that I ran my rear shocks on the inner hole of the arm. I ended up using grey springs all around, while marc I think had yokomo pink and blue. His springs felt more linear while mine felt a little more progressive.

In terms of the diff oil, I ran 1000w and I think he ended up somewhere around 2000w.

oh yeah...he also ran 2.5 rear toe where I ran 3.0. I tried the 2.5, but with my diff oil being much lighter than his it gave the car too much off power steering.

I ran 5mm inboard spacers on the upper links. On the rear upper links I rn 4mm inboard and 3mm outboard. I think Marc ran about the same if not exactly that.

We both ran 0.5 mm spacers under the hinge pin blocks.

we both ran a spool.

Marc's car was traction rolling initially as he had the shocks layed down more than mine, but after he changed to using the 4 position in the rear and 3 in the front like mine, he stopped traction rolling.

With the exception of Alexander and Nayoto, we all ran 10.3 s laps as our fast laps in mod. Alexander and Nayato fast laps were 10.1. So it was good tight competition for positions 3 through 10 in the a main, determined by consistency instead of outright pace.

During the main, our opening lap was very clean until the last corner of the first lap where about 5 cars got together in a chain reaction. Unfortunately I got flipped by a car behind me and went to last place. I ended up 7th and marc ended up 4th.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Martian???? LOL

thicker oil will give you less off power steering and more on-power steering.

thinner oil will give you more off power steering and less on-power steering.

hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarcusEngdahl
Martin @ i have your app. Great app!
what are your suggestion in what order you should set up your car?

1.Downstop 2. Ride height 3. Camber etc.......

Maybe you already have this in the app?
This is a great and important question.

1) I make sure the chassis is flat on a setup board without any tires on it. if not, loosen screws give the chassis a couple of twists and the put back on the board...tighten the screws. the order you tighten the screws is important. Start with the screws holding the bulk heads to the chassis first then do the upper deck, then do the screws holding the top portion of the bulk heads to the bottom portion of the bulk heads...then do the screws holding the shock tower to the upper portion of the bulk heads.

2) then ride height
3) then droop.
4) then make sure the spring preload is balacned left and right.
5) the recheck droop and ride hight to make sure nothing changed.
6) camber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.