Racing Styles, Tips and Tricks ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing Styles, Tips and Tricks ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Racing Styles, Tips and Tricks ...

I'm starting this thread, due to the fact that in some of our other threads, we get off the subject because someone has a question that pertain to only racing. And thats racing whatever car or cars you have brand loyalty to.

So let's try to log them in: Like Tip #1: blah, blah .... etc. So if anyone in our other thread has a question, you can send them here to keep from changing the subject all the time.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Tip #1: Car Bodies

For beginners: When I started racing in nitro, I beat the crap out of my bodies since I was still trying to get use to the power, tuning and tweaking and keeping a line (or more like a squiggle) on the track.

Even though I went through 1-2 body every month. I kept at it. kept buying a different one to see if there were different handling characteristics. And actually a new freshly painted body made me a better driver each time out. I started staying away from the boards and inside apexes until I got better and built up more confidence. Just because I was tried of spending money and wasting time painting a new body.

This then gives you more money for tires.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

1-2 bodies a month, gawd damn

Usually it takes me months and months to severly tear a body where it can't be used for racing. Hell I even run bodies with 3 mounting holes and still manage to keep with other cars on the straight.

Tip I have is go slow on the track for the first couple of weeks, we know you want to see what the car got and how good it handles but that's pointless, because if you never drove the car before you'll just do lots of damage.

Another tip I have is if you're short on cash there is nothing wrong with snooping around the garbage at the track. I've found good stuff, like a couple of sets of foams that I still use and they make my car handle good. Also I found so many body clips on the track that I won't need to buy any for years to come. Also when everybody is done with racing walk around the track, you'll find some goodies, like titanium screws, different kinds of springs, car parts, like dogbones and etc.
I do this because I'm a budget racer.

Another tip, If someone cuts you off at the track, or hits your car, don't go chasing them around the track and trying to beat them, since you're pissed off you're not focused on the driving, but focused on revenge and showing who has more balls. Just let them go, you'll do more damage to the car trying to chase them around the track.

And the most important tip is make sure you're not running the same frequency as someone else, I can't stress this enough, make sure you're the only one on your channel. I had all my cars severly screwed up because somebody forgot to look at the frequency board or paper to make sure they were the only once that had that frequency. If you are sharing the same frequncy with someone make sure your radio is off while the other person is on the track, some of us can't afford a new car because someone else forgot to switch off their radio. Even with the failsafe on the car you can still cause a lot of damage, since failsafe make the car brake, not get out of the way.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

aren't you supposed to return them to lost and found? your act has caused other people money to buy replacement parts where they shouldn't have.

You could have made others go home early just because they couldn't find the parts or have any spare. imagine, if peole lose the front one-way out drive, and have no spare. imagine people lost the belt tensioner bearings, etc.

it's ok if you find those in the trashcan, but on the track, for godsake, please return them!

Originally posted by compaq888
Also I found so many body clips on the track that I won't need to buy any for years to come. Also when everybody is done with racing walk around the track, you'll find some goodies, like titanium screws, different kinds of springs, car parts, like dogbones and etc.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

you'd better not have my parts!

Originally posted by compaq888
1-2 bodies a month, gawd damn

Usually it takes me months and months to severly tear a body where it can't be used for racing. Hell I even run bodies with 3 mounting holes and still manage to keep with other cars on the straight.

Tip I have is go slow on the track for the first couple of weeks, we know you want to see what the car got and how good it handles but that's pointless, because if you never drove the car before you'll just do lots of damage.

Another tip I have is if you're short on cash there is nothing wrong with snooping around the garbage at the track. I've found good stuff, like a couple of sets of foams that I still use and they make my car handle good. Also I found so many body clips on the track that I won't need to buy any for years to come. Also when everybody is done with racing walk around the track, you'll find some goodies, like titanium screws, different kinds of springs, car parts, like dogbones and etc.

Another tip, If someone cuts you off at the track, or hits your car, don't go chasing them around the track and trying to beat them, since you're pissed off you're not focused on the driving, but focused on revenge and showing who has more balls. Just let them go, you'll do more damage to the car trying to chase them around the track.

And the most important tip is make sure you're not running the same frequency as someone else, I can't stress this enough, make sure you're the only one on your channel. I had all my cars severly screwed up because somebody forgot to look at the frequency board or paper to make sure they were the only once that had that frequency. If you are sharing the same frequncy with someone make sure your radio is off while the other person is on the track, some of us can't afford a new car because someone else forgot to switch off their radio. Even with the failsafe on the car you can still cause a lot of damage, since failsafe make the car brake, not get out of the way.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

My tip is:

LISTEN to those who know and learn to apply them accordingly. Also, do not be afraid to try new setup
Old 08-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by RC Dumb
aren't you supposed to return them to lost and found? your act has caused other people money to buy replacement parts where they shouldn't have.

You could have made others go home early just because they couldn't find the parts or have any spare. imagine, if peole lose the front one-way out drive, and have no spare. imagine people lost the belt tensioner bearings, etc.

it's ok if you find those in the trashcan, but on the track, for godsake, please return them!
yeah, lost and found, hahahahahahaha.

It would be the same as I would turn in a $5 bill to the lost and found, nobody's name is written on them so everybody would yell "mine" if the lost and found asked who's $5 bill it is. Besides, I run a RR, everybody else runs a Mugen Mtx3, why would I put their parts on my car?

Also people who lose parts of their car usually walk the track and try to find them, I usually walk around at the end of the day or when I lose a part.

So far I only find body clips, and when I find it near a table I ask the person at the table if it's theirs', so far everybody tells me it's either not theirs' or to keep it.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by eddiethefish
My tip is:

LISTEN to those who know and learn to apply them accordingly. Also, do not be afraid to try new setup
What happened to Billy?? is he mad at me?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tip #3hobby.com :)

My £0.02 worth: - ...

Click here and read.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

The best advice I've ever gotten was:

Slow down, you'll go faster. If you slow down a little, you'll stop over-running the apexes, you make much better laptimes, when your not out there in the marbles.