Search

Multiplex Profi 301 Help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)
Default Multiplex Profi 301 Help...

guys,

i just purchased a Multiplex Profi 301 FM radio from a friend and it works like a dream!

it came with a PICO 3/4 FM reciever

and i just want to ask a few questions...:

1. Is the Transmitter compatible with non-pico/multiplex FM & AM recievers? (i.e. novak xxl, novak mercury, LRP Phaser, Futaba, KO Propo...,etc)

2. Can i use non-pico/multiplex FM & AM crystals? if so, what brands?

3. The Transmitter also came with a 600mAh ni-cd battery pack. Can i use 1100mAh Ni-mh battery packs?

any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

From my understanding you can use AM of FM Crystals and recievers, just make sure you don't mix crystals and recievers....meaning use Futaba AM crystals with a Futaba AM reciever, Airtronics FM crystals with an Airtronics FM reciever.... I also think there is something in the programming you must change to do so..... You should read your manual (if you got one), or order one from Multiplex.... probably even e-mail Multiplex and ask them for sure.......

Goto www.multiplexusa.com they have links to manuals for download, a support area, and links/pohone numbers to contact them.......

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:04 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have a Multiplex 707 Profi radio. The only radio crystals you can use in your radio is Multiplex. The receiver is a different story but the radio must use only Multiplex crystals. Well at least the 707 and 403 as they can do AM and FM with the same crystals in.

As for receivers. I have a Pico 3/4 and I use the JR synthesized with the radio as well. I think pretty much any receiver will work for hou but the Hitec DCX receivers. All other receivers should be fine.

As for Radio batteries I never really tried to change mine so I would think 1100mah would work as long as the voltage output is the same as the stock 6mah battery is.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Brace yourself...the transmit time on the Multiplex is FAST...you may find youorself initially cutting corners short as the transmitter sends a signal to your car faster than you'd normally expect...

I was shocked a t how much of a visible difference there was between my 707 and my other radio (JR R-1) I'm now selling my R-1 and the radio I bought as a backup is now my main radio
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

The 707 and Multiplex radios have been running on 60HZ long before the M8 was. I had the same problem with my 707 as it was just so much faster. Just wish they would get a synthesized 75 band module.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

I'm hoping that when the modoule does land that we'll be able to get our radios upgraded to the new software (v2) as I beleive the frequency change is done electronically not like the Novak M8 module which uses a pot
Old 08-12-2004, 10:42 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

I'm keeping mine around for now to see what happens. I just switched to the JR XS3 Pro but if I can get a synthesized module for the 707 I will sell the JR.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)
Default Re: Multiplex Profi 301 Help...

Originally posted by Tommi Makkinen

1. Is the Transmitter compatible with non-pico/multiplex FM & AM recievers? (i.e. novak xxl, novak mercury, LRP Phaser, Futaba, KO Propo...,etc)

2. Can i use non-pico/multiplex FM & AM crystals? if so, what brands?

3. The Transmitter also came with a 600mAh ni-cd battery pack. Can i use 1100mAh Ni-mh battery packs?

any help would be greatly appreciated... [/B]
I own four Multiplex Profi Car radios, two model 301 and two model 403 and have been using them for several years now and absolutely love them.

The transmitter uses the Multiplex crystals only, and although they are expensive the transmitter is capable of using either AM or FM modulation on the very same crystal. This is pretty neat.

In AM mode the transmitter is fully compatible with all receivers. The criteria to keep in mind is to use the AM crystal designed for your AM receiver. For example, just use your Futaba receiver with your matching Futaba receiver crystal. Same with Airtronics, JR, KO and Multiplex.

In FM mode you can only use receivers compatible with Airtronics, JR, KO or Multiplex. You may also use the Novak XXL, Novak Mercury, Novak Xxtra, Tekin micro chrome receiver, Hitec HFS-03MM as these are universal type receivers. I have used Airtronics single conversion receiver crystals in these receivers and never once experienced a glitch or any other problem. There may be other compatible receivers out there but I've only used the ones I've named so I cannot comment. The JR synthesized receiver also works and Multiplex offer their own synthesized receiver and I have heard that there are plans for a Multiplex synthesized transmitter module soon.

My transmitters all came with the 6-cell 600mAh NiCad transmitter battery pack but Multiplex offer an upgrade to 1000mAh NiCads. I bought one pack but found it overly expensive to buy and haven't upgraded any of my other transmitters. Shameful pricing that borders on gouging.

One thing to note is that buying anything Multiplex is an expensive route and Hitec would prefer to sell you one of their products rather than sell you anything Multiplex. Prior to being bought out, Multiplex used to sell Tx crystals individually, but once Hitec had bought them out this policy changed and it is now virtually impossible to buy Multiplex crystals at all. I've emailed several times and am yet to get a reply from Hitec.

This situation may have changed from my last need for transmitter crystals but I have my doubts. Bottom line is that the Profi transmitters are lightweight, unique in design, well thought out, offer useful features that are easy to program, provide crisp transmission signal that is faster than most radios on the market at 60hZ, and work flawlessly. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:09 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have my Profi Car 403 since more than a year and it came with a 1500 mAh battery. Are you really sure you have 600 mAh inside?

Regarding crystals the Multiplex are expensive but are very precise and should work for long. I have some Multiplex crystals here more than 20 years old and still working perfectly.

I never tried the 60 Hz option but I´m using Futaba receivers only and no problem. R103, R123 and R133 are working for sure. Also a KO 297 receiver is working.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

I've found that my 707 is working flawlessly with both posoitive and negative shift receivers.

I contacted Hitec and was initially told that the FCC will noto allowo a change of frequency and that I would have to send the unit in. Oonce I was able to get them to realise this is a SURFACE radio they were able to give me a price for a crystal, however no idea as to when it would be available off of backorder.

Current ProfiCar radioos are using a better battery as well as updated firmware (v2)...

Hitec in North America hasn't provided much in the way of support for the Multiplex product since it puts them in a bit ofo a conflict of interest since it would hurt the sales of their main product line.

I've been scrambling too find a channel 76 transmitter crystal to no avail. I'm torn between getting onto the possibly unending backorder list at Hitec or attempting to order directly from Germany.

You don't have to 'try' the fast response on the Multiplex radios....it natrually is that fast...
Old 08-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

I find it strange that others are using Hitec and/or Futaba FM receivers with their Profi transmitters and not having any problems. The discussion I had some time ago with the technician from Hitec made it clear that only Airtronics, JR, KO and Multiplex FM receivers were compatible. It was all about the negative versus positive shift in FM mode.

The crystal issue was a pain in the @ss for me as well and even a call to Hitec to discuss was painful, but in the end I was able to buy a few spare transmitter crystals as singles. I too have now been advised that I must ship my transmitter to the Hitec service center to make any channel change. This seems unreasonable to me and just won't happen. Too bad my contact (Karlton) no longer carries Multiplex stuff.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

If you can get ahold of him Glenn Merrit(sp?) from Hitec/Multiplex appears to know his stuff.

for 72MHz radios must be retuned....that is not the case with 75MHz....it takes a while...but if you force them(Hitec tech support) to investigate then you can sometimes get them to wake up and pay attention
Old 08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to say I´m using 40MHz only. Can´t speak for 72 or 75MHz.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by V12
I have to say I´m using 40MHz only. Can´t speak for 72 or 75MHz.
One of my transmitters is on 40mHz and I have no Tx crystal and no receiver. I can't even find anything here in North America so that I can use the darn thing.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

There's a good reason for that though Steve...it's because 40MHz is illegal for RC use in North America.....

just pop a new module in it and you're all set

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.