Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New XRAY T1 FC, now what do I use to move it??? >

New XRAY T1 FC, now what do I use to move it???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New XRAY T1 FC, now what do I use to move it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default New XRAY T1 FC, now what do I use to move it???

I'm new to this hobby, or way of life. I'm not sure of what motor I should purchase. There's a bunch of different terms I need to look up, but I would appreciate so "GUIDANCE" on what company makes a good motor for this car. Remember, I'm a newbie so if you use any RC terms, please explain.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man , a t1 factory kit? That's a little high-end for a beginner. You're probably best off starting with some type of stock motor, like a p2k2. If you want some speed, go with a cheap machine wound modified. In any case, take some time assembling that kit, as xray parts are a little pricier to replace.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

You might want to consider going with the Xray plastic tub first to get to know the car. It's very durable and can take a beating as you grow and learn the car. When you feel you are ready, switch over to the graphite plate.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Do you plan on racing?? If so stop by the track and see what classes they have, usually it will be a stock (27turns of 24guage wire in a non adjustable motor can set at 24 degrees of timing) 19T spec (19turns of 24guage wire in a non adjustable motor can set at 24 degrees of timing),or open mod (turns vary, timing is adjustable)..... If you are just playing then I personally suggest a 17T machine wound modified motor and leave it just as you get it, install it and have fun....however if your just playing you may have found the wrong car as the Xray T1 FK is a full blown racecar..... sorta like a top fuel dragster just to go to the grocery store.....LOL
Old 08-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nah screw that...........slap in a Hacker Brushless Motor and about 11 cells........

Hey I am kidding!!!!! Like they said; start slow it'll save you money in the long run. Drop in a P2K2 (like 071crazy said) and get some 2400 cells to learn with. What I found valuable (and too late) was the cornering disc. Once you get really bored with its speed (i.e. turning corners at full throttle) then its time to start moddifying and bringing in the real speed!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Monster Stock (not pro)
LRP IPC Pro Sport
JR XR2 or Airtronics MX3
JR or Airtronics metal gear servo
GP3300's (cheapbatterypacks.com) or Any generic 3000 battery (Ebay!)

CS-27 tires all around for outdoor...CS22 Rear and CS27 front on carpet (if stock is a rubber class at your track)
Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Monster Stock (not pro)
LRP IPC Pro Sport
JR XR2 or Airtronics MX3
GP3300's (cheapbatterypacks.com) or Any generic 3000 battery (Ebay!)

CS-27 tires all around for outdoor...CS22 Rear and CS27 front on carpet (if stock is a rubber class at your track)
Good suggestions.

A couple of comments though;

Get an ESC with 6 volt BEC from the beginning. That'll make your steering 25% faster, cutting down the delay from you turn the radio wheel, till the wheels on the car actually turn.

Since you got an XRay, I think you're quite settled for this hobby, right? If so, get yourself a decent charger from the very beginning. That's a charger like the LRP Pulsar Sport. Linear charge, at least 6 amps charge rate, no trickle charge, digital read out and adjustable cut off.

A good charger will both prolong battery life AND give your batteries better performance.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Go on ebay, you can get really decent stuff for half the price some times , i've got a lot of stuff from it
Old 08-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

When your first getting stuff off ebay...post links here so we can help you check the items out...so if it even looks like you'll be unsatisfied or get gyped we can help you not
Old 08-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Get an ESC with 6 volt BEC from the beginning. That'll make your steering 25% faster, cutting down the delay from you turn the radio wheel, till the wheels on the car actually turn.
I was considering the Novak GT7, I did some research about it and it seemed to be one of the best out right now.

As for the Radio, Futaba 3PK, kind of pricy but I don't want to have to go back for another radio.

I don't know what to do for batteries and the servo just yet. I need to research some of these options you guys gave me and see what works best for me. Of course before I run out and buy anything, I'll post back here first.

I got the XRAY T1 FK because I didn't want to get a cheap car to start with knowing this was something I've been wanting to do for a while. I plan on building more than 1 car, this being the only electric car if possible. I guess I can get a beginner motor, etc. I have plans to race the car, but not right away, but I don't want to buy parts that I'll have to replace.

Hey, I'm a newbie, so you guys tell me what you think about what I've said. Oh, and I do want a FAST CAR!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Monster Stock (not pro)
LRP IPC Pro Sport
JR XR2 or Airtronics MX3
GP3300's (cheapbatterypacks.com) or Any generic 3000 battery/QUOTE]

Okay, what's better????

LRP IPC Pro Sport or Novak GT7

JR XR2 or Airtronics MX3 or Futaba 3PK

What's the best bang for the buck without me having to go back for seconds?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default if you're really serious..

if you are in it for the long run... go by the philosophy of "buy it once"

radio, charger, lathe... research and buy it once and it'll be 2-3 years before you have to buy again. save more money that way.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Novak GT7

Futaba 3PK

You could also check out the LRP quantum 2.

In terms of buying one good car to start off, the theory is a little off. You will probably do some hefty damage to this first car regardless of how careful you are on the track. By the time you're able to drive fast consistent laps you will probably want to get a new chassis anyways. So, take a look into building the T1 with a plastic chassis.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The GT7 is a good ESC. The 3PK is also a good radio. You'll enjoy both. If you're looking for a servo, since you're going big than get a nice futaba digital servo, or JR. The Futaba S9550 is a good choice for the Xray FT kit. If you want to know about batteries, chargers and motors, send me a PM. I can work with you and your budget to get you the best performance and price.

John
Old 08-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey,
Nice to see a new person starting into the hobby. The X-ray is awesome, you can't go wrong with it. You could race that for at least 2 years and still be competitive and probably still up to date. I personally run the Xray.
I run a:
-LRP Quantum 2 ESC
-KO Propo Helios(most comfortable radio I've ever had)
-Kinetix Batteries(www.kinetixrc.com)(Cheap price, because he's a small bussiness, but his batteries have awesome power and runtime)
-19t Kisbey, Lightspeed 27t stock quad magnet(blows by everyone at the track) Fantom 12t quad(quad has less torque making less tire spin, much easier to drive)

Any of this would be good equipment for you, seeing as you want to start off with high quality stuff. That how I started and glad I did.I used to use the Futaba 3PK, but it is a little heavy, especially top heavy if you ask me. Although, don't get me wrong, its a great radio and has enough features set do anything.

Hope this helps you a little,
James W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.