Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My IGT2 winter project

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default My IGT2 winter project

Now that's its cold and yuck outside, I thought I'd work on my rebuild of my IGT2 Corvette. I was hoping this would last at least a couple of weeks to occupy my winter-time need for speed and I swore I'd take my time and do it right. So when my kit arrived Tues afternoon, the typical drug addiction happened and I did the transformation and finished the project overnight
For my setup, I've got MMM paired with a 1518 1800kv to power the vette with a 15T pinion gear. I chose the 1800kv motor instead of the 2200 because it offers a little more control, had a higher rating (at the time) and only cost $60 new from castle.
I elected to go with the Inferno single speed center diff because of the direct fit and no mods needed to complete. The diff includes a 46T spur gear and I filled it with 100,000k diff oil. BTW, the rear diff has 10k oil and the front has 50k (if I'm remembering correctly).
To transfer the power to the frnt/rr diffs, I elected to use the newer light-weight swing shafts (dog bone) which fit perfectly with center diff.
I also elected to try sway bars for both the front and rear. For the front I used the medium size bar.
For fuel, I'm gonna order some 6S 3600-3700mah packs in the 30-50C range. I've currently got some older packs but they've had a couple of seasons of heli abuse so their days are numbered.
For wheels, I'm running OFNA foams and will probably try a couple of the newer brands once the warm air finally returns.
For steering, I'm using the super strong but fast Futaba 9451.
AUW is 3987g (140oz) with everything to include a 6S 3700mah bat.
The MMM settings are typical to include 50% punch control, 50% brake, 0 drag brake, and 8 deg timing (normal).

So I did some test runs yesturday (before the nasty white stuff started falling) and the control is superb as well as the low speed torque. The only thing I need to improve is the top-end speed by approx 20 mph. I'm not looking for a "speed demon" but something that has about 60-70 mph down the long straight, but is very managable on the tight turns. The power numbers were very wimpy at only 52A and 1100 watts but I realize this will probably increase by 15-20% when I get the new batts in. Considering the motors' constant max rating of 120A, there's a lot of power still to be tapped into. I'd like to be able punch the throttle and be in the 80% max power range to ensure max motor/ESC lifespan while minimizing heat loss.
So my question is does anyone know of a 40-42T spur gear that's a direct bolt-on to the inferno center gear? I'd like to try this with a 20-22T pinion gear.
Also, I was previously running this same power setup on 4S but with 42T spur gear and 28-30T pinion gears where the speed was increadable but required two packs (3700mah each) to run >10 min races as well as a massive problem of gears stripping (aluminum, plastic and even steel). Now that I'm running it on 6S, I'm concerned about BEC output from the MMM. The good thing is the BEC is only powering the rec and one digital servo so maybe it's not a concern. Anyone have any problems with the BEC output from the MMM?
Attached Thumbnails My IGT2 winter project-slot-track-020.jpg   My IGT2 winter project-slot-track-021.jpg   My IGT2 winter project-slot-track-023.jpg   My IGT2 winter project-slot-track-013.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Missle
Now that's its cold and yuck outside, I thought I'd work on my rebuild of my IGT2 Corvette. I was hoping this would last at least a couple of weeks to occupy my winter-time need for speed and I swore I'd take my time and do it right. So when my kit arrived Tues afternoon, the typical drug addiction happened and I did the transformation and finished the project overnight
For my setup, I've got MMM paired with a 1518 1800kv to power the vette with a 15T pinion gear. I chose the 1800kv motor instead of the 2200 because it offers a little more control, had a higher rating (at the time) and only cost $60 new from castle.
I elected to go with the Inferno single speed center diff because of the direct fit and no mods needed to complete. The diff includes a 46T spur gear and I filled it with 100,000k diff oil. BTW, the rear diff has 10k oil and the front has 50k (if I'm remembering correctly).
To transfer the power to the frnt/rr diffs, I elected to use the newer light-weight swing shafts (dog bone) which fit perfectly with center diff.
I also elected to try sway bars for both the front and rear. For the front I used the medium size bar.
For fuel, I'm gonna order some 6S 3600-3700mah packs in the 30-50C range. I've currently got some older packs but they've had a couple of seasons of heli abuse so their days are numbered.
For wheels, I'm running OFNA foams and will probably try a couple of the newer brands once the warm air finally returns.
The MMM settings are typical to include 50% punch control, 50% brake, 0 drag brake, and 8 deg timing (normal).

So I did some test runs yesturday (before the nasty white stuff started falling) and the control is superb as well as the low speed torque. The only thing I need to improve is the top-end speed by approx 20 mph. I'm not looking for a "speed demon" but something that has about 60-70 mph down the long straight, but is very managable on the tight turns. The power numbers were very wimpy at only 52A and 1100 watts but I realize this will probably increase by 15-20% when I get the new batts in. Considering the motors' constant max rating of 120A, there's a lot of power still to be tapped into. I'd like to be able punch the throttle and be in the 80% max power range to ensure max motor/ESC lifespan while minimizing heat loss.
So my question is does anyone know of a 40-42T spur gear that's a direct bolt-on to the inferno center gear? I'd like to try this with a 20-22T pinion gear.
Also, I was previously running this same power setup on 4S but with 42T spur gear and 28-30T pinion gears where the speed was increadable but required two packs (3700mah each) to run >10 min races as well as a massive problem of gears stripping (aluminum, plastic and even steel). Now that I'm running it on 6S, I'm concerned about BEC output from the MMM. The good thing is the BEC is only powering the rec and one digital servo so maybe it's not a concern. Anyone have any problems with the BEC output from the MMM?
Nice project, I wonder where all those parts came from.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nice slotcar track in the 3rd pic, startem racing early at home.
Originally Posted by Missle

Nice slotcar track in the 4th pic, startem racing early at home.
Attached Thumbnails My IGT2 winter project-brians-track-1.jpg   My IGT2 winter project-brians-track13.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
Nice slotcar track in the 3rd pic, startem racing early at home.

Nice slotcar track in the 4th pic, startem racing early at home.
Yea but your trach is way nicer. I can't wait to scratch build one
I just finished making and painting the street lights for ours. They make the track look so sweet.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
Nice project, I wonder where all those parts came from.
Only the best online store in the states; IGT Hobbies. Now if only you had the store during the years of 1996-2005 when I was working in Austin Tx. The funny thing is i had never even seen a rc car the entire time I lived there where its warm 95% of the time. Now I'm stuck in Cincinnati where there's snow and NO darn indoor race tracks