Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default help now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 4 day old tc3 was running slower than it normally does and when i took the body of the motor leds were smoking and i let it cool of and my motor started spitting out chunks of this plastic looking stuff and now it wont even move?

i orderd a team orion element 19t to replace it and i need to know how to prevent this one from breaking to?
also can my stock esc handle that new motor i know it can handle up to 19t? and since its just another 19t i can keep the same gearing?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

DUDE

your going to have to give us much more info before anyone can help ya

your like asking how much is the train ticket with out telling the seller where you wan to go !!

was your car over geared, has it any tight spots in the drive train, what sort of speedo do you have, has the old motor got any stones in it, did any of the electric look like they sorted out......... the list of things you haven't told us goes on and on...........
Old 08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

If its an RTR Tc3 and you blew up the RTR motor...don't worry

If I were you I'd get a full set of pinions and gear accourdingly to whatever people at your local track run to be safe

If you bashing...go for a Mabuchi 540 or a Tamiya Black-Can....no matienence needed
Old 08-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

i'm not really bashing but i do want speed, yes all the electrics were fine and the gearing was stock out the box so was the motor so i couldent have been that, will the new team orion 19t motor be okay on that stock gearing since its also a 19t????
Old 08-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

a couple things come to mind....
the mesh between the pinion and spur was too tight..
(use a piece of paper to set the mesh.. )
a small pebble could have gotten into the motor....
brushes could be so worn and causing the motor to get that hot...
about gearing and the new 19t, it depends on which one you get..
Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Best advice I can really give is ask some of the experienced guys at your local track
Old 08-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

i have 24 tooth pinion gear, 72 tooth spur gear and i will be using the team orion 19t motor? and about the mesh should the car be able to roll when the mesh is set right or should the car be very jerky when you roll it with out power?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Regional Moderator

I dont know if Im 100% right. I think it varies from motor to motor. I have had some motors that were a little jerky when you rolled the car and some that rolled more freely with the same gear mesh.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

HERE are some pics of why my motor is in the trash! did heat cause this? if so why did it overheat i think i may have had the gear mesh to tight?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Originally posted by kh15
HERE are some pics of why my motor is in the trash! did heat cause this? if so why did it overheat i think i may have had the gear mesh to tight?
looks like the gear mesh was too tight .. if you dont use paper to set it .. just make sure to set the teeth on the spur / pinion about 50% of eachother.. and that there is some play when you move the spur with your finger...also make sure there is no binding in the drive line and all spins free with the motor out of the car... hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

yea thats what i was thinking i will check the gear mesh better with this new motor, with the paper trick any type of paper will work i was using printer paper and then shoveing the pinnion into the spur as far as it would go the pull the paper out?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Set the gear mesh so there is a "click" when you rock the spur side to side without moving the pinion
Old 08-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A good acid test is to spin the gear mesh with the wheels. No matter what method you use to set the mesh, it should always sound "pleasant", and not have any grinding noises.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kh15
i'm not really bashing but i do want speed, yes all the electrics were fine and the gearing was stock out the box so was the motor so i couldent have been that, will the new team orion 19t motor be okay on that stock gearing since its also a 19t????
yup! its ok but since you're lookign for more top end speed replace the pinion 2 teeth more..
Old 08-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

my motor overheated because of a improperly set gear mesh but in the parking lot i race my tc3 it has a slight incline i was wondering if when the car was going full speed up this hill it cause the motor to overheat in addition to the bad gear mesh?