Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bendy hinge pins

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:28 PM
tornado

Originally posted by jordanrx7
I bought a set of lunsford titanium pins, and they lasted 2 days of racing. Plus they bend in extreme angles, when compared with steel, at least in my experience.
Huh ? they bend to that extreme ! looks like their bullet proof is bullet poof ! anyway...I'm using Ae's.....and would not be getting any lunsford hingy .

Bryan

Old 08-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah I was gonna ask about the titanium Lunsfords but I guess they bend!!! and easily at that?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

i think they all bend if hit at the right angle. whenever i break a front wishbon eon my yok it always seems to bend the hingepin. my mate has some upgraded ones but i am not sure what make they are. $15 for 2 and the still bent. Just one of those things
Old 08-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by rinkrat99
Lem2

What is the p/n for the Yokomo pins? Is it SD-009 and are they a direct replacement?

Thanls
YOKOMO SP-3866 RC-10TC3 the rest are Japanese
Its a direct replacement. They are even stronger than Lunsfords, I have only replaced the front on the Lunsfords, and had many arm breakage and still no bend!!!

JordanRX7------ Go for an aftermarket chassis!!!! WARPSPEED or the BMI and PenguinRC

I also tried BRP (#6210) Hard Polished Steel for the TC3 and Yokomo still tops them all.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i am surprised that nobody mentioned high speed steel drill blanks. they won't bend, period. what they may do is shear, and snap, but this is a once in a long while occurance that usually claims an arm as well. i have only seen this happen once, and it was on the rear of the tc3.

http://www.mcmaster.com
Old 08-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile

I'll throw in another vote against Lunsford pins... it's most likely the small diameter of the TC3 pins, but I brushed a board at Revelation with my NTC3 and managed to bend both pins on the right front of the car (nothing else broke). Lunsford did not offer an explanation, and refused to send replacements. Put the steel pins back on, and haven't had any problems since, even in a subsequent crash where the arm broke.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I have to say that I am disappointed with lunsford pins as well. I have a tb-02 i won at recent race, and the pins are nearly double the diameter of the tc3's. I have yet to run it, but I suspect they can take a hit much better than any tc3 pin.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

i must say the Xray t1r is the strongest and most well thought out car i've ever tested and it's a great car for the money and very quiet
Old 08-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I've seen some xrays, and they indeed are nice. Parts support up in northern ontario sucks for most everything, but especially xray
Old 08-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

You could get parts for the xray car from speedtechrc www.speedtechrc.com
Old 08-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Have any of you with the Lunsford pins tried heating them up white hot with a plumbers torch after they were bent? Depending on the Ti alloy, there should be an internal 'memory' effect that will help the pin self straighten if you heat it up hot enough. Give it a shot - it used to work for titanium pan car axles.

-G
Old 08-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile

Thanks for the tip, Griffin. I still have the pins in my electric TC3, B4, and XXX4, so I'll give it a shot if the issue comes up again.