Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change >

Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change

Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change

Old 05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
First off we have been running non boost all outdoor season so far. Like 6 weeks so far. And the guys running 17.5 have been running non boost all indoor season also. But our larger outdoor track and temps in the 90's yesterday all contributed to the burning up of motors. Its hard to gear for the long straight and also have good speed in the infield. On indoor tracks its not as difficult because they are 100 feet long at the most.

When I ran boosted I never ever got the motor hotter than 130-140 degrees in over 2 years indoors or outdoors and almost always had the fastest or one of the fastest cars on the track. Now I'm pushing 200 degrees every run and the laptimes are the same as 17.5 boosted and you cant run any motors that you cant crank a bunch of timing into them i.e. speed passions.

All I heard yesterday in the pits was grumblings of how stupid blinky was and how this is going to be an expensive summer.

When we ran boosted I would put a normal setup on my Tekin and gear it any which way and it would always be fast. I could go up or down 5 teeth and it would still be fast and not really get that hot as long as my speedo settings were set properly. Now one tooth or a couple of degrees of motor timing and it lets out the smoke.

I'm pretty experienced on gearing and motor setup in 13.5 non timing I did win a Reedy race with over 100 entries in the class running that exact same setup just different equipment.

Its funny hearing all the different experiences with boost and non boost in different parts of the country.

But I think us North Easterners are all pretty much in agreement that blinky is Ehh at best.
I would say it's probably a function of large outdoor tracks more than anything. Last summer I personally smoked a motor at the local series race on a 220 x 175 asphalt track in 17.5 open tc on a top 5 run, and the next heat Beavis from SpeedMerchant melted one down on a TQ run...and this was with Paul Lemiuex's car. Boost or, apparently, no boost, taking things to the edge is going to ruin equipment.

At the same time, I still say that boost destroys motors a at WAY higher rate than no timing. I still have yet to see a no timing motor go up.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
At the same time, I still say that boost destroys motors a at WAY higher rate than no timing. I still have yet to see a no timing motor go up.
I have to diagree. Boost lowers temps by at least 20 degrees.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
I guess I'm hallucinating then
Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Please explain about how boost lowers temps? That is not logically sound.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
First off we have been running non boost all outdoor season so far. Like 6 weeks so far. And the guys running 17.5 have been running non boost all indoor season also. But our larger outdoor track and temps in the 90's yesterday all contributed to the burning up of motors. Its hard to gear for the long straight and also have good speed in the infield. On indoor tracks its not as difficult because they are 100 feet long at the most.

When I ran boosted I never ever got the motor hotter than 130-140 degrees in over 2 years indoors or outdoors and almost always had the fastest or one of the fastest cars on the track. Now I'm pushing 200 degrees every run and the laptimes are the same as 17.5 boosted and you cant run any motors that you cant crank a bunch of timing into them i.e. speed passions.

All I heard yesterday in the pits was grumblings of how stupid blinky was and how this is going to be an expensive summer.

When we ran boosted I would put a normal setup on my Tekin and gear it any which way and it would always be fast. I could go up or down 5 teeth and it would still be fast and not really get that hot as long as my speedo settings were set properly. Now one tooth or a couple of degrees of motor timing and it lets out the smoke.

I'm pretty experienced on gearing and motor setup in 13.5 non timing I did win a Reedy race with over 100 entries in the class running that exact same setup just different equipment.

Its funny hearing all the different experiences with boost and non boost in different parts of the country.

But I think us North Easterners are all pretty much in agreement that blinky is Ehh at best.
I’m not saying you personally don’t know how to gear a car but I’m just saying that given more time then you guys won’t have the same issues you experienced much like we did the first real "race" out. Everyone in your area will have it figured out given more time is all Im saying...but thats not the issue.

Yeah again it comes back to the issue at hand like it was stated before that there should be two sets of rules for track size...if your track is longer then 100ft then you should run boost...if your track is under 100ft then it should be blinky.

Much like you are saying that you can run boost and come off cooler then blinkly the exact opposite is the same for us here on our smaller type tracks. When running boost you are looking at about 160deg and up....running blinky you are look at about 120deg to 140deg. So what’s good for you isn’t good for us and "visa visa". This is where the rules need to reflect the need for rules for different track sizes. One universal rule will not be good for everyone.

Not around here on our tracks...so I would have to disagree with you.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

So NE racers are the only ones who can setup a boosted ESC? that explains alot... I'm no where near as fast as larry or cuffs, but have the same experience, usually if your boosted setup is running too hot, you have too much, or too little gear. Invest in the fan that Boss motorsports sells too, it helps. Last year no one really cared what battery or motor you were running, this year if someone is quick with a combo, you see 10x of that combo next week..
Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

I feel this whole arguement is a little rediculous really. People are saying "we're burning motors because we have to gear up to go fast on the straight". Well, if you over-gear, you damage gear. I got taught that in my first year of racing. If EVERYONE is gearing to correct temps then NO-ONE is faster on the straight (slight simplification of course)
Before turbo, we all lived with the FACT that you have acceleration or speed, not both. Everyone makes their choices depending on what compromise they want to make to suit their driving.
It's not rocket-science guys. But then, I may be missing something, so hope this doesn't upset those in the know....
Old 05-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
I feel this whole arguement is a little rediculous really. People are saying "we're burning motors because we have to gear up to go fast on the straight". Well, if you over-gear, you damage gear. I got taught that in my first year of racing. If EVERYONE is gearing to correct temps then NO-ONE is faster on the straight (slight simplification of course)
Before turbo, we all lived with the FACT that you have acceleration or speed, not both. Everyone makes their choices depending on what compromise they want to make to suit their driving.
It's not rocket-science guys. But then, I may be missing something, so hope this doesn't upset those in the know....

The point is if you have cash or a sponsorship overgearing and blowing up motors is no big deal. A motor can only take 200 degrees so many runs. And if you don't care you can push the limits and replace your motor every week and have an insanely better chance of winning all things being equal to the guy that doesn't get free motors or have a bigger budget than you.

It's not like I'm arguing because I am in the worse of the 2 categories. I have very good sponsors and can afford to blow motors up to go fast if I like but I don't think it is right or fair for everyone else not as fortunate.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If rule is no-boost, would be nice if track owners layout accordingly (e.g. put a chichane to break up a long straight).

Short straight is still exciting, like the Reedy race.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Bring back Boost!!! Please!!!

Last edited by mike ivy; 05-29-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: language
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
That's because your running 1s.
I run T/C also and the track has run no-boost in that class all season. Gear the car to the desired temp and you shouldn't have a problem. If it slows you down , it slows everyone down. Everyone has the same conditions at the time.

It is much easier to smoke a motor when running boost.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
I run T/C also and the track has run no-boost in that class all season. Gear the car to the desired temp and you shouldn't have a problem. If it slows you down , it slows everyone down. Everyone has the same conditions at the time.

It is much easier to smoke a motor when running boost.
Your theory works great if everyone is running fixed gear ratio. The difference between a 150 degree motor compared to a 180 degree motor in non boost is couple tenths. So what your saying is your gunna have a gentlemens agreement throughout all the racers to not gear a car over a certain temp.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Look at the results of the trophy race this weekend, look at how close hot lap, top 5,10 and 20 laps are, there is no room to give up .2ths.
Attached Files
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So what your saying is your gunna have a gentlemens agreement throughout all the racers to not gear a car over a certain temp.
Really, where did he say that?

What is so hard to understand here? If your motor can reliably take 180 degrees then don't gear it so it is running 190. Starting to get it yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.