Tech Initiate

Default Which one would you buy?

Which one of these cars would you buy?
Red and Black.

Yellow.

Black and Blue.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

1 or 3 but beware about lack of parts support.

get something based on TT-01 chassis which is cheap but parts are available.

2 is a toy.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

+1 for staying with something you could get parts for more easily

tamiya hpi losi associated
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

#2 says it goes 20Mph. I was skeptical about that one, but at $80 it seems like a bargain. I really like 1 though.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

there all toys, this whole web site is about "toys" next we can discuss quality of the toys....

if you just looking for something to mess around with and when it breaks maybe strap a rocket motor to to watch it blow up when it hits the curb, i wouldn't bother with any of them, of course I say this while looking at my 39.99 radio controlled dodge challenger sitting on the table.

but who knows, get a few friends to get some and go have a blast.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by skypilot
there all toys, this whole web site is about "toys" next we can discuss quality of the toys....

if you just looking for something to mess around with and when it breaks maybe strap a rocket motor to to watch it blow up when it hits the curb, i wouldn't bother with any of them, of course I say this while looking at my 39.99 radio controlled dodge challenger sitting on the table.

but who knows, get a few friends to get some and go have a blast.
I was really looking forward to buying a Tamiya, but the cheapest one I found that I actually liked was over $200. I just bought the red and black one for $119. :] I just want a drift car. If it breaks, I'll part it out and upgrade the crap out of it.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

1 and 3 are the same cars, just a different body. You can buy parts for them, The local hobby store near me sells a million of them under the "Red Cat" name They are shit in my opinion but if you want something ready to run, new that works go for it. search the Albany NY craigslist and search red cat , i'm sure something will pop up if you are looking for used and super cheap. They are just a step above a toy I have spent a few hours at the carpet track getting one to work, and I did with different shocks/springs, installing droop screws etc. but i think you could get yourself a used associated tc4 and be much better off. for the same money. I did have fun making a cheap "toy r/c car" be faster than guys with big $ cars.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dirty petcock
1 and 3 are the same cars, just a different body. You can buy parts for them, The local hobby store near me sells a million of them under the "Red Cat" name They are shit in my opinion but if you want something ready to run, new that works go for it. search the Albany NY craigslist and search red cat , i'm sure something will pop up if you are looking for used and super cheap. They are just a step above a toy I have spent a few hours at the carpet track getting one to work, and I did with different shocks/springs, installing droop screws etc. but i think you could get yourself a used associated tc4 and be much better off. for the same money. I did have fun making a cheap "toy r/c car" be faster than guys with big $ cars.
That's what I'm hoping to do in the long run. I tried to make the $20 rc car I got from radioshack last month, but the receiver was so cheap, it ended up cracking the PCB where the antennae was soldered, and I couldn't find a way to fix it. If this car doesn't work out, I'll sell it and buy the rest of the parts for my Evader EXT that I've been trying to restore.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Initiate

step up with a little more money and get a better car if you plan to get serious. I have seen a lot of guys throw money away on thinking they can get a competitive car for cheap. they are so bad we have put them into a "red cat class at our local track. I made one work pretty well but i really understand chassis set up and had a hobby shop full of parts from other company's to pick from for free. The goal was to build a fast, good driving shop car "the super cat" so people would buy em'. bottom line is for all the time and money in parts you would have to spend on building what I built for the shop you could go buy a Losi or a tc5 or something. as for ready to run get a sprint 2 or a tc4 or something. just my .02
Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dirty petcock
step up with a little more money and get a better car if you plan to get serious. I have seen a lot of guys throw money away on thinking they can get a competitive car for cheap. they are so bad we have put them into a "red cat class at our local track. I made one work pretty well but i really understand chassis set up and had a hobby shop full of parts from other company's to pick from for free. The goal was to build a fast, good driving shop car "the super cat" so people would buy em'. bottom line is for all the time and money in parts you would have to spend on building what I built for the shop you could go buy a Losi or a tc5 or something. as for ready to run get a sprint 2 or a tc4 or something. just my .02
I've been trying to sell things on Ebay so that I can just use the money that I make to pay for parts, but I can't sell enough things to get the good stuff. I've been looking at the Sprint 2 going for $30 for my Evader, but I also want an on-road vehicle. Everywhere I go I hear the Tamiya drifts are the best, so I've been trying to save up enough to buy one of those. Know any good hobby shops in America that sell the best RC's?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Can't go wrong with a TT-01. Cheap, easy to drive, reliable, and parts up the you know what lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lazarus65
Which one of these cars would you buy?
Red and Black.

Yellow.

Black and Blue.

They would be all a waste of money... Nothing worse then someone new getting into the hobby and buy the cheapest car cause they are only learning but then get dis heartened by the fact they crash this cheap car and then have to buy a new one as no parts can be bought or repaired.

There is a reason for spending money as 1. its either a investment and you want it to last. Or 2. you do want to play with a toy and you shouldnt expect anything of it than what it is out of the box.
Dont try and make it go faster or push limits with it as it will break quicker than you can blink.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jjfo80
They would be all a waste of money... Nothing worse then someone new getting into the hobby and buy the cheapest car cause they are only learning but then get dis heartened by the fact they crash this cheap car and then have to buy a new one as no parts can be bought or repaired.

There is a reason for spending money as 1. its either a investment and you want it to last. Or 2. you do want to play with a toy and you shouldnt expect anything of it than what it is out of the box.
Dont try and make it go faster or push limits with it as it will break quicker than you can blink.

Good luck with your decision.
Which car would you recommend for a budget around, let's say $250? I might just sell my Evader.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Initiate

that is how much a Team Associated TC4 is Ready to run new in the box, Dun. Then in time you can get a LiPO Battery, better "stronger/faster" steering servo and start thinking brushless motor set up.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

250 will get you comfortably into the hobby.
my buddy got a tamiya tt01 rtr for like 170 with an evo body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.