Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba S9551 or Savox 1251mg??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAMAK
I bought two savox servos from Superior hobbies for 54 shipped!!!! Not bad. But you have to use the Facebook promo code to get the free shipping.

As far as performance goes, this is the best servo i've bought. I just put one in the Photon and the FF03.
I just got a Photon and that's the car I'm putting one of these servos in too!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I've used both. Currently prefer the Savox for a variety of reasons, but be aware that the Savox servos draw a little more current than just about anything else out there. If your system, especially a Spektrum 2.4, is running at or near brown out levels, you MUST run a glitch buster cap or the drain of the Savox will surely push you into full electronic brown/black out. Only takes a few microseconds of the available power to the reciever dipping to throw most 2.4 systems into a brown out condition (like full lock steering under high cornering load and punching the throttle coming out of an infield turn), and the Spektrums seem to be the most susceptible to it. Usually manifests itself under full throttle and a slight touch of the steering, and the reciever won't have enough current to keep it's electronic brain linked to the transmitter.

We tend to ask a LOT of our electronics today: must be mini or micro, light weight, and run a fan, transponder, high speed/torque servo (sometimes 2 or more, depending on if you're electric, nitro, or rock crawling or monster trucking), power a computer brain ESC, and a whole host of other electronic gadgets that we cram into these awesome toys. Fact is, there's no free lunch on that score. Circuit board solder runs can only handle so much current before they poof, and the chips are engineerred to protect themselves through some sort of shut down failsafe to prevent that from happening in most cases.

Usually not a problem, as most of us run the glitch buster anyway, just be aware that all that power(torque) and speed from the Savox isn't ALL just internal gearing advantage and comes with a price, electronically, and that price is a high electrical current demand.
I currently use an Airtronics MX-3X TX... do you think this would effect mine in the same manner as the Spektrums?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Futaba S9551 !
Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ewashburnaf
I just got a Photon and that's the car I'm putting one of these servos in too!
Use spacers to space the servo away from the Bell crank, other then that works Great!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ewashburnaf
I currently use an Airtronics MX-3X TX... do you think this would effect mine in the same manner as the Spektrums?
Check the speed controllers BEC, dont knock the radio system untill you check the esc BEC rating. Tekin's go to 6V, 3amp. While a Novak GTS only goes to 5V, 1amp.

I run a Speed Passion Cirtix in my photon, that is 6V 2 amp BEC and works great with my Spektrum SR300 Receiver without a Boost cap. I also run the 1251 mg servo, AMB, and Fan for the Motor. No Gltiches

Last edited by TAMAK; 01-07-2011 at 09:53 AM.