Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RTR 2.0 Question >

RTR 2.0 Question

RTR 2.0 Question

Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default RTR 2.0 Question

After talking to the owner of the local out door track here in KC it looks like 1/8 scale buggies are the way to go. So my question is the RTR losi going to be a good starting point that one can build on? I know that the servos most likely will need to be replaced as will the starter box but it seems like a good deal or a good first step. Plus it seems Losi and Kyosho are the most popular buggies out here and well Im not at a point in life to touch a new Kyosho.

Im just looking for some honest feed back on this kit...

Thank you
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

your going to hear everywhere, the losi RTR 8th kits are a great starting point.

once you get into the hobby, motors, servo's, pipes, and tires will follow. the losi RTR is a great starter kit.

a good radio, and a solid starter box. any other manufacture in the hobby doenst come close to start up costs as the losi RTR.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I started out with the Losi RTR truggy and havn't looked back. You can't beat the value of everything you get when you buy the rtr, all you need to do is charge the hump pack and break in the motor then you rready to hit the track with a car that can win right out of the box.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ive owned 3 Losi's in the last 3 years and like it was posted above, for what you get (motor, radio, starter box) its the probably the best deal out there. Around here, I watch as some of the RTR's take 4 out of 5 top spots on any given race day regardless of which brand. Use your new car to tune you driving ability. Then as you experiance goes up, start to upgrade your equipment. By the end of the year, you should be doing pretty good and have a good platform to rebuild or transfer all your goodies to a new car. One of the nice things about the Losi cars is you can transfer the radio tray from the buggy to a Losi truggy with only 5 screws.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the servos will die and the motors dont tune as easy as some of the others.

Other than that they are a good starting point IMO
Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was never able to finish my D8 so I never learned anything about setting them up or working on them and am afraid if I go with a kit again I stall getting it ready and fall into the same trap and a shelf queen it would become.

Its to bad none of the other brands are following Losi lead on this. So anything on the kit will work on the RTR Im thinking hoping?

Thanks for the info
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by williamsfw2427
So anything on the kit will work on the RTR Im thinking hoping?

Thanks for the info
if your talking "kit" as meaning ROLLER.. yes, all ROLLER parts will be compatable with the RTR. myself.. i wasn't interested in the RTR since i had a radio, a engine, and servo's already. findind a bump box was simple, and its been a blast since.

there's lists out there on the differences between the roller and RTR. obviously the main differences. no motor/pipe, no electronics, no radio, and starter box. differences in the RTR to roller, black chassis, black shock towers, and alum. shock caps. there's other small things, but not significant.

the losi RTR truck or car, is great for a beginner not having anything and wanting to get into the hobby. you get a set of allen wrenches and shock rebuild tools, but a good set of hex wrenches wouldn't be a bad idea.

with any car/truck, and any manufacture, its a hobby that needs attention. your not going to be able to put gas in your kit and win podiums without adjusting your setups, and LOTS of practice. taking your car/truck apart and inspecting parts and learning your car is the best thing you can do when it comes to maintenance and setups.

IMO.. the losi RTR. servo's. new servo's.. and start practicing. experiment with tires. that RTR should have plenty of power, a decent pipe setup, and respectable performance for your track.

again.. losi RTR is a win win, when it comes to getting into a hobby and buying a complete nitro vehicle, you can't loose with the losi.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the rtr has a stamped chassis and towers, the roller is cnc milled out of a better alloy. the shocks have coated shafts and the caps are aluminum, where as the rtr has plastic caps.. i forget all the differances but those are the major ones.

you can just upgrade as you go along.. guys part out new rollers on ebay.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

One of the best things about the Losi cars is the huge support you get at the track. I have seen several heats where all the buggys and truggys were Losi only. Losi usually dominates in #'s at my local tracks. There's always someone to help with setup andmparts if you need them. Great starting point. For a complete package nothing else even comes close.