Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Racer Car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

for a carpet track what should i run foams or rubber? which will give me good traction but last me a while. Im lookin towards rubber cuz of choice of rims and i can understand the inner foam (firmness) better then the foam compounds.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use an INDY 16x5 i think. its the one with teh digital display. i cant reemeber the actual model. its about 100-120 bucks if i remember right. and its a decet charger
i also run 3300GP @1.16+ Volts per cell not the best but a good pack
Old 08-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by dracy69
for a carpet track what should i run foams or rubber? which will give me good traction but last me a while. Im lookin towards rubber cuz of choice of rims and i can understand the inner foam (firmness) better then the foam compounds.
I don't think you can run rubbers on SSH. Run foams, specifically jaco purple/orange in front and jaco purple in back.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

on carpet foams are the best. Rubber you will just spin out
purple/plaid is my choice, and try speedmind foams, they don't wear much and don't chunk as much as others
Old 08-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

A lot depends on your funds. If you are going to be serious about racing, there are other things to consider. Most name brand, top of the line cars are good, go for availabilty on parts and support. Support- I mean, since your are learning, pick something others at your club are driving, so you can get advice on set ups, etc. You'll also ned to invest in different oils, springs, wheels with foam (one set won't last that long). Also, since you are starting, consider a Monster Stock Pro, PK2k or something like that. Most novice classes don't allow lower turn like 19t or lower. Stock motors don't need to be cut as often, and the LHS can rebuild them when they do. This isn't a realistic step if you race mod. Also, since mod motors are high in maintenance and work, so you would need to get a lathe, power source and power reg to turn your lathe, break the motor in and run other tools. You'll need brushes, a good soldering iron, battery charger, discharg equalizer, etc. Mod motors also cost more, and you'll need more than one depending on what track layout you will be running. I personally would stay away from brushless. They aren't legal for anything other than mod in most cases, and as a mod it won't keep up with a good mod motor (that's why you don't see pros running them in races). They are low in maintenance, and efficient with batteries, but the ESC is special for brushless and the initial cost is high. Get a good set of tools, etc. This is the start, hope it helps. Money is an issue and as you can see, there's plenty of ways to spend it.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

well i have plenty of tools cuz my dad is a mechanic and i own a hpi savage. What descent chargers/dischargers are there? I dont wanna spend alot of money.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Track This is the track i will be racing at (the carpet one of course)
Old 08-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by dracy69
holy sh*t 430 bucks for the turbo 35 GFX, i cant go that crazy

ok.. so go get the pitbull instead..
Old 08-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

There are a lot of chargers that are good, make sure they charge at rates up to 10a. Alos, its nice to have discharge and cycle feature built in. Also, make sure it discharges at 30a so you can check your batteries output. Compare prices and start there.

As far as equlizing tray, it depends on cost and your convenience. The Integy ones work fine, but you have to monitor them. When the lights go out, unscrew the cell. If not, it will deap discharge (you may want this, but that's another topic). The novak one is nice; it auto turns off, is programmable, but pricey.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

whats the difference between 10 and 10ma cuz all the specs are in ma and mah
Old 08-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

and just curious do i need discharge and cycle or its just a feature that might be nice.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

and the novak equalizer wouldnt work as a discharger would it?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

o yea and should i get any oils for a stock motor, im planning on using a team orion
Old 08-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

actually scratch all those questions, i have everything decided but im unsure on a motor, most likely a stock motor but im unsure on the turns or brand, im looking at team orion but i dont really know. here is my track (again) if it helps at all
Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Dam that track is TIGHT!(both meanings)

As far as foams I'd say orange double pink(ft) and double pink(RR). If you get the pro4 you'll need to get a front diff to replace the front one-way that comes in the kit. A one-way on that track just won't work at all. As far as motors get the trinity monster stock, preferable one of the tuned one(Eamotorsports, paradigm, team 1....).

You don't really have to go all out when you start, I'd say buy a good charger and esc but leave the lathe, sick radio, sick batt's for later. Basically you need to save money for spares and trick stuff won't make you faster until your able to finish a race without smacking walls.

As far as the pro4, as long as your lhs has support your set. If it doesn't forget it, cause on a track like that you WILL break while your learning to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.