Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hpi rs4 evo 3+ fuel leaking and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default hpi rs4 evo 3+ fuel leaking and other problems

how is it going everyone, im fairly to the rc game, i dont know much about rc brands except hpi because i had one back back in the day..anyways i just bought a hpi rtr rs4 evo 3+, during the break in on the 3rd or 4th tank i thought i had flooded the motor so i took out the glow plug and the heat sink out and ran rotor start to get the excess fuel out..put everything back to together, started the motor and now i got fuel leak spittin out on the back under the heat sink..i unscrewed everything i was working on, took it apart and reassembled all of it, i made sure the washer for the glow plug was still there, i tightened the screws for the heat sink in a cross pattern while tightening all 4 screws at the same time..still no luck, fuel is still spittin out..my second problem is the car is not shifting into second gear..i follwed the manual book and used the provided allen wrench to adjust the clutch to shift earlier but no luck, car still doesnt shift..sorry for the long text, any help will be appreciated..thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy

Bump! No one can help me?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

With fuel spitting out of the heat sink/head button/engine block the engine will not deliver enough power & torque to shift into second gear.
This problem has to be solved first.
Remove the heat sink and head button. Did the head button have shims underneath it originally? These parts were are not fitting correctly, give everything a careful inspection. Check to see if the head shims are binding up of inserted at an angle.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
With fuel spitting out of the heat sink/head button/engine block the engine will not deliver enough power & torque to shift into second gear.
Remove the heat sink and head button. Did the head button have shims underneath it originally? These parts were are not fitting correctly, give everything a careful inspection. Check to see if the head shims are binding up of inserted at an angle.
Cool man, imma give it a try as soon as i get home..good looking out for the help!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
ok, i was able to stop the fuel leak but car is still not shifting into second..wen i was running it, i checked the temp on it and it says its at 243f! so on the high speed needle i turned it clockwise to make it a tad rich..ran it again and im still getting very high temps..i dont know if my temp reader is crappy or not but its a duratraxx..on the last run i got a temp reading of 292f! i was like "oh shit, i better stop running it" I dont know wat to do!!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

reset the needles by the manuals specs or go on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzpdZGGXPM

this guy is the real deal better than anybody here, true pro driver, trust me
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Fixed the problem! Thanks everyone for the tips, much appreciated 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

tell us how you fixed it..
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fastharryDOTcom
tell us how you fixed it..
pretty much took the heat sink out and the glow plug button, inspected everything and made sure everything was good, reassembled everything, tighten the heat sink screws in a star pattern and tightened them very well at the same time..as for the car not hitting second gear, what CurveTracer said was right, after i fixed the leak and car started to hit second gear, just had to adjust it so it hits second gear a tad earlier..thanks everyone!