Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default yup

Sim is how I started.
NoobieScooby likes this.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I stumbled across this thread and wanted too see who is flying ??
I do a lot of flying and have moved to all electric now .
I am happy to answer any questions Flying question from newb pilots looking for help .
Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would like to add some advice on the simulator training. This is my own experience, being a ”methodical” kind of person.

Practice with a plan. Flying around aimlessly is way too common both in the sim and IRL. Identify your weaknesses and invent practices!

For example, left and right circles and figure 8 is a good start for beginners. Try to keep a constant altitude and be smooth.

Practice landings from all directions.

Try also this: Fly the plane away until it becomes a dot and then try to navigate back. The dot can be controlled. This is a skill that can be learned and it is enormously useful.

Fly the plane, pull the sticks randomly and try to recover from whatever angle you ended up. Then do it and cut the motor power and land.

Pattern flight and 3D are very useful disciplines to practice too to become a better (more complete) pilot, regardless of your preferred discipline.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just want to say... (As a flyer with 35 years flying under his belt, and many pupils). Please just don't think that ANY simulator will be any more than a very very basic introduction.
Just get into the REAL air with a GOOD flyer to help you.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Very good and comprehensive listing of the most important points!

Maybe just one thing to add under "Preflight Check":
Beside making sure everything is fixed and rudders steer in the right direction, the balance of your model plane is essential. Particularly if you are flying your plane for the first time I recommend to check this point carefully. As a rule of thumb, the balance point should be at around the first third of your wing (measured from the front).

When you are unsecure if you have hit the right point, it is less critical if the balance point a bit more towards the front than to the rear.

Balance point towards the rear = your plane reacts faster and quicker on steering input (no good for beginners)
Balance point more towards the front = your plane will react smooth on steering input
Old 03-22-2019, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Centre of gravity is ALL-IMORTANT!
It will always be between 25% and 30% of mean chord behind the L.E. on a conventional wing. (That's 25 to 30% of the wing area, - not just measured at the wing root).
The "around the first third" will give you a fairly 'frisky' flyer, tending to be over-sensitive, not for the beginner certainly.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

a sim will not make you a better flyer at best like said above it will show you the basics. buddyup with a good flyer best way to do it. get in the air
Old 03-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joolstacho
Centre of gravity is ALL-IMORTANT!
It will always be between 25% and 30% of mean chord behind the L.E. on a conventional wing. (That's 25 to 30% of the wing area, - not just measured at the wing root).
The "around the first third" will give you a fairly 'frisky' flyer, tending to be over-sensitive, not for the beginner certainly.
Yes you are right. Depends also much on the wing's shape.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you for this, very well said.
I’m hoping to get the simulator soon, also a great way to enjoy flying when you can’t afford an actual RC plane.