Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do we stop..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Time to get a new hobby or stop racing, if you have to worry about the cost.
The fastest way to become a millionaire while racing is to start as a billionaire.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It is kind of sad that you pay more in tires per year for your rc car than your regular car, but you put more miles on your regular car. Especially since manufacturers do not even make the tires in America. If you ask me the most they should be is 8.00 a pair, but that is just me. Hell at pepboys you can get a set of 4 tires for like 99 bucks for your Hoodoo.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
Sell the truggy, buy a buggy.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

You can dye your wheels black. They don't show all the scuff marks like white wheels do. Then you can re-use them. I bake my tires around 350 for 10 to 15min. Get a wet towell and push the tire off the wheel. Then dremmel off the glue. Then re-dye if I need to.
Proline wheels are tougher than AKA wheels when baking. AKA will crack on you. I can use the wheels two to three times. With the new foams you can get about the same time. Then just buy the deals online that are just tires. Usually you can get any set of tires for around $10 with out foams. Buggy are around $10 and truggy $10 to $15 with any compound.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JANKEII
You can dye your wheels black. They don't show all the scuff marks like white wheels do. Then you can re-use them. I bake my tires around 350 for 10 to 15min. Get a wet towell and push the tire off the wheel. Then dremmel off the glue. Then re-dye if I need to.
Proline wheels are tougher than AKA wheels when baking. AKA will crack on you. I can use the wheels two to three times. With the new foams you can get about the same time. Then just buy the deals online that are just tires. Usually you can get any set of tires for around $10 with out foams. Buggy are around $10 and truggy $10 to $15 with any compound.
Yea, I tried that, the only wheels that work well for me when trying to reuse are the AE wheels for the RC8 as they have a 2nd layer of support that reduces the lines inside from bending, all other wheels aka, proline have bend marks after use behind the wheels.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Time to get a new hobby or stop racing, if you have to worry about the cost.
The fastest way to become a millionaire while racing is to start as a billionaire.
Great reply to keep our hobby alive
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

I was hoping I could get about 3 or 4 sets of the new jconcept or aka wheels with the bolt in support, and then just cut the foams out after the tires go bald, and acetone them and reuse the foam and wheel. That way you are only paying about 30bucks for a full set of tires with no foams.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aray
I just cleaned up at that BOGO jconcepts sale for double dee's. Using your old AKA rims and foams, you can run a new set of soft double dee's (JC's version of Holeshots) for $16. You can find some good deals out there...

Also there are some excellent wearing tires that work good in truggy. JC Crosshairs and AKA i-beams seem to work good for me even at 30% tread. Others are not so good, for example I don't like Cityblocks once the top pin is gone, so Cityblocks don't seem to last me any longer than Holeshots.

On acetone, as already stated - 1 gal, bucket (that seals!), cut the tire down the middle, take out the foam, then cut the rest of the tire off the rim as much as possible (leaving just the bead), drop them in the bucket, 24hrs take out your new (old) truggy wheels. I would strongly recommend not putting the foams in acetone, I know for sure it will ruin "normal" foams, not sure about AKA but there's no reason to find out. Best case is your foams will be a gooey smelly mess...which sucks.
Yeah the BOGO is going to be the way to go for now if ya got rims and nice foam. Under 20 for a full set of sevens, cross hairs, or double fees ... I have some stlighty used blue crisshairs and haven't got them to work. Think both times I've tried them it was just to dry and dusty
Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

how long are your AKA foams lasting guys?...i have a couple sets of aka truggy premounts that are shot...just wondering if its worth saving the foams or not?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by boomgagem
You're complaining about spending 70 bucks on a new set of tires, but then you turn around and call someone a broke ass for spending $40 on used ones? WTF?
I know right.... Saw this myself and an am wondering???
Old 12-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Why don't you read the rest of the posts? I was talking about myself..
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For what is worth we run medium compound all year long. Even though they dont hook as good in the cold they do last twice as long.

You can keep reusing AKA foams. I have a set of AKA foams on three different sets of tires. You can usually find the rims pretty cheap and then buy the rubber by shopping around.

I for one do not mind mounting and gluing tires. Seems like if I glue the tires they stay on the rim and the premounts just dont hold up as well.

I agree though buying tires makes me sick. Its the one product that I cannot get excited about buying. If I had a choice to be sponsored on any product tires would be the first choice.

Its funny cause I dont mind buying parts and kits but tires
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

The bottom line is you have to pay to play I have the same tire concerns as everybody else and currently I love Gridirons but at some tracks they go bye bye pretty fast One way to save tire wear and be faster is to reduce your wheelspin by just driving smoother. Also look into what diff fluids you use as that can create premature tire wear.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

Hi!
I too hate the fact of spending 70$ on a set of wheels + tires, right now I have about 4 or 5 sets of completely bald tires and would love to reuse the foams and tires but have always had an incredibly hard time getting the tires off the rims. Is there a decent method out there? Ive always boiled them in water and have a pretty hard time getting them off, do you know of a better way?
Do you know if hotbodies tires would work with AKA rims and foams?
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

ya I hate buying those $70.00 sets also, but those $300.00 to $500.00 back up engines that probably wont get touched till next year don't seem to bother, kind of stupid is'nt it.. or all those other back up parts that sit there all season and you decide for some reason to switch brands next season and end up selling those new old parts for half price.. just admit it guys, we're all addicted to this demon called R/C racing. oh buy the way, we have bags of tire combos from last year that hav'nt been touched, but I can gaurentee you the minute I walk into the lhs or see some deals on the net, more will be on there way.. is it an addiction or hoarding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.