Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sportwerks Mayhem Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Default sportwerks Mayhem Thread

There were four of these buggys at the track that I frequent. Broken cvd's and slipping clutches were the order of the day. Is there any word on what Horizon is going to do about this?

Last edited by Neil; 07-28-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Wow, Really?
That was a surprise, I read the review of this car from two mag and they said nothing but good about this car. (durable, fast, good handling).
Were they running RTR?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The clutch slipped like crazy on my Mayhem too (I have the ARR version with the SW 21) out of the box, and from other forums that seems to be others experience also. I just switched to the new Werks clutch - haven't run it at the track yet, just up and down the driveway for a few tanks - but at least it locks in.

No CVD problems on mine, nor have I seen others post about that.

I thought it was a nice car for the money, and even with the slipping clutch, I thought it had great steering, and it jumps nice and flat. I'm happy so far.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've got the RTR and I have put over 2 and a half gallons of fuel through it without any problems (save the tweaked front shock tower..I dunno how that fence got in the way...odd). The get up and go is good, and no breakage issues.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Gary NJ keep us informed on the werks clutch i'm interested in that or the fioroni turbo sliding clutch.

plus are there any good 1/8th scale sites ?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.twf8.ws/ The only 8th scale site worth mentioning.

---Neil---
Old 08-02-2004, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just switched from an MBX-5 to a Mayhem and no regrets yet. I did hit two 1/8 at full throttle with no CVA issues. I think the car needs less caster out of the box but other than that it is good. I didn't even try the stock clutch due to the slipping issue I hear about. I'm running Kyosho black clutch shoes on mine and the Mugen aluminums are also a good shoe to use. The car is super stable in the rough stuff, and I have yet to find smoother shocks on a 1/8.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default CLUTCHES

I have tried both the Speed II (RMV) and the Fioroni "Turbo slider" on my Mayhem. Both are very good clutches with virtually NO maintenance!!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Horizon response

Neil, Hopefully you and your buddies contacted our Horizon service center. If so you would have been informed that several Mayhems from the first shipment mistakenly included the optional lightweight clutch shoes. By providing us with the serial number of your Mayhem we would have sent you at no charge new clutch shoes to correct the clutch slipping problem. As far as the CVD issue, I'm aware of only 2 CVD's that have been broken. 1. Someone mistakenly turned on a radio that caused a customer's Mayhem to go full throttle down the straight and through the track barrier eventually crashing a full throttle into a 2 ft. diameter tree and 2. A customer hit a 4" steel light pole coming off a triple jump. While in both cases I don't believe the CVD was defective or at fault, I replaced both CVD's at the track free of charge. I just checked our CVD sales and found that we are selling very few which would indicate that no big issues exist. If you'll return the broken CVD's to our service center we will take a look at them and if the parts are defective then we will happily replace them under warrantee. While we're not perfect, we try awful hard to provide the the best possible products. I was responsible for developing/ designing the Mayhem and spent hundreds of hours in the development and testing phases. So far we've had great customer responce with positive feedback but it's important that we hear about any issues so that we can make corrections to future shipments. If you're ever dissatisfied with any Horizon product please call the Horizon service center at 217-355-9511. We have a trained staff that's here to help! If for some reason your still unable to resolve an issue thru our service center, please contact the service manager or me, John Adams Engineering Manager. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up Thanks John!

I, too, had the slipping clutch problem, and just replaced the clutch with one of the new Werks Racing clutches, which has worked very well. I just spoke with Matt Snyder and my serial number Mayhem was one of those with the light shoes, so Matt is sending out the correct replacements. Thanks for being upfront on the problem, and resolving it without a hassle.

The only other problems I've had which seem to be potentially more pervasive (based on posts on other boards) is the screws that mount the splashguard to the tank seem to be too long, and when they're threaded in all the way they're splitting the mounting boss on the tank open (especially the front one). I JB Weld'ed the crack until you send the replacement tank, and I put in 2mm shorter screws. Might want to look at that one. The other problem that I have also seen posts on and experienced myself are the two FH screws that mount the rear body mount to the wing mounts come out very easily, like almost every tank or two. I replaced them (12mm stock) with 16mm ones, and they seem to stay in much better now. The boss on the wing mount looked plenty long enough to accomodate that longer screw. This is small stuff considering its a brand new car.

I'm very happy with my Mayhem - my first 1/8th buggy. I've let guys who run other buggies try it, and they felt without exception that it steered and jumped great. They were also very impressed with the cost vs the quality of the parts.

Are tuning parts on the way? Different sway bars, rear toe in adjustment option blocks/hubs, etc? I also hope you'll post from time to time on what people are finding on setups.

Gary NJ
Old 08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Gary, Thanks for the reply! On the next shipment the rear body mount screws will be lengthened to 16mm to prevent the mount from pulling out in a crash. The splashguard screws will also be shortened as we've had a few issues with the tanks splitting as you mentioned. I'm working on designing/ drawing rear hinge pin mounts with different toe-in and anti-squat values as we speak. These will be made of aluminum and shims will be included to adjust anti-squat. New shock springs and anti-roll bars are on the way. I've also developed an awesome slick track set-up that we will be posting on the Horizon web site shortly. I've been racing every weekend for the last 7 months and have a ton of information that we will be posting shortly on our web site. Any feedback that you have would be helpful.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Default Good deal John!

I'll be looking for that slick track setup, because that describes our club's track ( DirtRunners RC Club) : hardpack, with sand/dust over it. Very slick, never comes close to grooving and is getting rutty as the season is going on. So far I've moved the rear hubs forward, went to blue Mugen rear springs, grey Mugen fronts. 40 weight F, 35 R. Raised the front ride height (arms slightly above level), lowered the rear (arms just below level). 5K-5K-1K f/c/r on the diffs. Dremeled the chassis to get more rear droop. I run the smallest restrictor, and a 13T clutch bell (the track has NO straightaway at all!). Most of these suggestions came via Lee Morrison's posts on SGrid. As I said, I'm brand new to 1/8th scale so I'm trying to follow the lead of experienced guys....any other thoughts? Oh yeah, running Komodo 2's, medium soft, stock Panther foams.

Hope you'll also pop in to the Mayhem thread on Sgrid, John.

Gary
Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey John! When will those clutch shoe tools be out? Something I would like to see is a new upper arm that allows you to run two spacers so that you can adjust for less caster. I dremeled mine so I could push the arm 3mm further forward and am going to try it tonight. Lee said it works. I felt like the car had good handling everywhere except initial turn in. I was turning lap times the same as my MBX-5.

I did have a CVA pin fall out. Does Horizon sell replacements? I have a Mugen one in now but it is a bit longer. What is the Horizon website for the Mayhem? I think I have the lightened clutch shoes. They appear to have some scalloped areas on them instead of being solid like a Kyosho clutch shoe?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Is there certain # that these minor issuse have been addressed after,mine is #613
Old 08-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

i am the guy Neil was talking about with the slipping Clutch... would horizon send me new ones seeing on how i have almost had the Mayhem for a month? on the other hand i havnt really had any problems besides the rear body mount comming out, and it seems that the mount for the wing is a little soft mine are bowed in and out of line. i have new ones orderd. other then that i am happy with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.