Droop 5mm
Ride Height 5mm
Camber Link - all the way out bottom hole
Low roll center
No sway bars
Old 06-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You might want to move your front camber link to the upper set of holes. That will give less camber gain and the front will not dig in nearly as much. Is that droop measured with a gauge or what? I always set my droop to a certain amount of uptravel over ride height rather than set it with a gauge. I only use the gauge to make sure they're even.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Quoted By Brian McGreevy
You might want to move your front camber link to the upper set of holes. That will give less camber gain and the front will not dig in nearly as much. Is that droop measured with a gauge or what? I always set my droop to a certain amount of uptravel over ride height rather than set it with a gauge. I only use the gauge to make sure they're even.
Brian I usally adjust my droop with the guage. Where are your measurement points for the travel adjustments.
Moving the camber links to the upper holes will create more roll want it?? Another thin I have noticed is that my front tires wear really fast, does that have anything to do with my setup/camber link settings or does the RDX just eat front tires.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcfiend
BadBoyRC here's my setup

Frt
Spool
60 wt oil
Spring 22lbs
Caster 4 degree
Droop 5mm
Ride Height 5mm
Low roll center
No sway bars

Rear
40 wt oil
Springs 14.5lbs
Droop 5mm
Ride Height 5mm
Low roll center
No sway bars
Put the stock roll center blocks on. That will solve all your roll over problems. I've seen cars pick up over 1/2 a second a lap by taking them off. You could even go higher than stock.

Remember........ oil controls how fast the car rolls........ springs control how far the car rolls. Swaybars are like stiffer springs and help to carry corner speed, I ALWAYS recommend them. The low roll center blocks are just giving too much around corners.

Also, when you say your droop is 5mm. Is that the amount of up travel? I hope not as that would REALLY slow your car in the corners.

Jeff
Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Roll center effects the rate at which the car rolls. A higher roll center (more angled link) will make that end of the car want to roll quicker and thus bite in harder. This is one reason why we run higher roll centers in rubber tire than foam, because rubbers rely much, much more on heat for their grip and a tire that bites in harder will heat up more. A lower front roll center will roll slower and smoother. This will not only make the car feel like it's rolling less, it'll probably also help with that front tire wear.

Jeff, I don't think he meant the ultra-low blocks, just the regulars in the low position.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Another thin I have noticed is that my front tires wear really fast, does that have anything to do with my setup/camber link settings or does the RDX just eat front tires.
Lots of chassis roll causes this. You can add all the camber you want but changing the roll blocks will help solve this the most.

Jeff
Old 06-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Roll center effects the rate at which the car rolls. A higher roll center (more angled link) will make that end of the car want to roll quicker and thus bite in harder. This is one reason why we run higher roll centers in rubber tire than foam, because rubbers rely much, much more on heat for their grip and a tire that bites in harder will heat up more. A lower front roll center will roll slower and smoother. This will not only make the car feel like it's rolling less, it'll probably also help with that front tire wear.

Jeff, I don't think he meant the ultra-low blocks, just the regulars in the low position.
Just don't let the heat OVERHEAT tires on asphalt. I tested flat links versus angled and I thought the angled links were better. The car was more consistent and the tires did not BBQ themselves early on.

This was mainly tested in the rear of the car, which mainly controls the stability of a setup in my opinion.

Jeff
Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Jeff and Brian, keep it up. I'm learning alot from this brief discussion. -JB
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Jeff- Are the bones from Specialized R/C a harder material than the stock aluminum ones? Running a spool on asphalt with mod is just killing the hole where the cvd pin goes through, becomes elongated very quickly. Do you have to have their bones to use the steel blades. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

RC FIEND

Ditch the low roll center blocks on medium bite surfaces.. they bake the tires.. set the roll blocks either on #1 or #2...if the surface is bumpy you can add a bit of kick up in the front (up on positions roll center blocks)

Try some anti squat in back to keep the rear planted.. but rotating easily..
remebr tc's need to have chassis roll with rubber tires to keep the tires on the road and maximize the contact patch,.

The camber links on the outside hole and the lower holes at #3 from the middle.

set droop once ride hight is set at 5mm.. droop = uptravel..
when the suspension is at ride height and at rest lift the froint end and measure how much up travle you got same for rear.

Typically more up travel = more weight transfer ie. if you slow down the rear lifts and the weight gets sent forward to the front wheels.. the more up travl the faster the weight tranasfer and the less grip it will have on the end thats lifting up same goes for the front in accelerating.. the front lifts alot your car will push(tire have less weight on them.. less up travel the tires will retain grip.

work with uptravel before you mask it with sway bars... usually use sway bars in high grip situation like vht smooth asphalt or carpet.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Tech Initiate

The set up masters. Man you guies are awsome boy keep it comeing i'm learning so much.Corally tech support is the best.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy

Brian... the packaging for the "ultra low" blocks actually only says "low". That is why I thought he might be using them. Just wasn't sure which he was using.

Brandon..... they are the stock aluminum ones. Most of the wear you see on the CVD small pin holes is from the Blades going bad and people continue to run on them. I think you will see better results with the steel blades overall.

We are receiving Steel CVD Bones shortly. It will take a few weeks to get them machined for the steel blades.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Ok guys this is truly great stuff. I just have a few more questions. I constantly here people referring to the camber links and the hingepin adjustment blocks as roll center adjustments. Now if they both adjust roll center, does one have to do with weight transfer and the other camber gain .

I have visited many of the other touring car threads and they don't have no where the factory tech support I'm experiencing here. I definetly made the right decision to buy a RDX.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Camber gain is a function of the upper link position and caster. I'll get into it more once my boss is gone from the office.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Joey where you running this weekend?

I was thinking Saturday nite modesto sunday rccar..
myabe head over to RCTECH tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.