Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Nice!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 AM
prg
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Diff upgrades

Any news on upgraded diff gears, I love this car and with shims etc I get 2 to 3 meets, I had a slight coming together with another slower car which was enough to brake the larger planetary gear in the rear diff in half.
Thks pg
Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by prg
Any news on upgraded diff gears, I love this car and with shims etc I get 2 to 3 meets, I had a slight coming together with another slower car which was enough to brake the larger planetary gear in the rear diff in half.
Thks pg
No need of upgraded diffs. is not the problem
Please read from the manual the part lists page the code UM610 and check the shims mm.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 AM
prg
Tech Apprentice

Hi there
Yes done that, and as I posted I have shimmed diff accordingly but still they break. My thoughts are the larger crown gears don't take even a minor impact before they snap in half. Please don't pretend there is no issue here. That would be very disappointing. I have shimmed the diff and run 60,000 oil, the car worked beautifully but these diffs are a weak point and need looking into
Thanks
Pg
Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default 2nd a REALLLL big pain

in need of help as i am really pissed

so so so i can assume that a lot of us can enter the guiness book of records for the number of times that we dismantled the 2nd gear clutch housing.

ok so here is my report.

when building i made sure that one way has no grease or oil that could seep to the 2nd clutch housing.
I even cleaned the bearing and removed excessive oil from them in order to make it simpler.

Set the clutch like the manual instructs since normally K car drive train are incredible for their effeciency but doesn't seem for the new R4.

I had to unscrew almost a single turn to get the 2nd in action. Problem was that the screws touched a bit the housing creating a light groove. I dremeled a bit the screws to remove the squarish end and make them more circular.

Started to tune the 2nd as it was shifting to early but the slightest move even a 1/32 would make the 2nd not shift at all.

I am completly lost, i also noted that the 2nd housing plays a lots and i even read that you guys shim it, what shim are you using and where exactly do you shim over the one way bearing?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had similar 2 speed issues at the start too. I had to go out 5 turns or more to get it to change.

I recently built my 2nd kit and found there are 2 sets of gearbox screws and again I used the wrong ones. I put the longer ones which are wrong. See if u have some shorter screws. The problem is you may not be able to use them if u have put the longer ones. Might need new gearbox shoes, I'm going to buy some and try the gearbox with the short screws.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Found the short screws but when you unscew like the manual says you end up with a very few thread inside the plastic, not mentioning that setup wise wont be different since you screw in till the screws binds with the spacer than you unscerw a certain amount so really can't undestand your theory here. Even though why are those screws exactly ??
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 AM
prg
Tech Apprentice

I also had the same Problem with the shorter screws where I couldn't get 2nd to engage but after installing the longer screws I was able to set it up correctly. I have noticed slight scuffing on the end of the screw heads but it is working quite well.
I have not done any shimming of my 2nd gear and yes it does have quite a Lot of play, but it is not stripping gears and is working well

Regards

Pg
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

lots off hop-ups available for R4

Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ghett0
lots off hop-ups available for R4

bro where can buy thats hop-ups
Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Addict

Default 2nd issue solved

Originally Posted by prg
I also had the same Problem with the shorter screws where I couldn't get 2nd to engage but after installing the longer screws I was able to set it up correctly. I have noticed slight scuffing on the end of the screw heads but it is working quite well.
I have not done any shimming of my 2nd gear and yes it does have quite a Lot of play, but it is not stripping gears and is working well

Regards

Pg
Dear all here is finally some news which came from Kyosho support. Basically the first batches came with silver springs and you need to unscrew 4.5 turns if yours have black springs than it can be set as the manual says 2.5 turns.
If you have silver make sure you shave a bit of the screw edge or else it will easily touch the aluminium housing.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alangking_306
bro where can buy thats hop-ups
still not available, mine were sent from asia for some feedback on product, i will keep you informed when they will be released.. the graphite pieces were made by hand

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by prg
Hi there
Yes done that, and as I posted I have shimmed diff accordingly but still they break. My thoughts are the larger crown gears don't take even a minor impact before they snap in half. Please don't pretend there is no issue here. That would be very disappointing. I have shimmed the diff and run 60,000 oil, the car worked beautifully but these diffs are a weak point and need looking into
Thanks
Pg
Agree 100% ... After a lot of try I ve done about 6 litres with the car and I have stripped only 1 pair of gears , but there is defenetaly an issue there that has to be revised for sure....we had never talked using RRR about such issues.... I thing it s more important for a car to talk about set up of the car itself and not all that discussion about set up of the diff gears....still the car is awesome with the diffault set up (don't try to change much things) but that diff issue thing should not be discussed anymore , as if they don,t find a solution , many racers would turn to other brands...
Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Rear diff

I've been driving the car for some time now,and what you need to do is put two 1.7 shems behind the big spider gear on the left. And one 1.7 and one .1 shem on the right spider gear. That will solve the diff problem of the diff. I also use 80,000 oil in the rear diff, and 300,000 oil in the front. I'm a Kyosho USA driver.
Jeff
Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jeff B
I've been driving the car for some time now,and what you need to do is put two 1.7 shems behind the big spider gear on the left. And one 1.7 and one .1 shem on the right spider gear. That will solve the diff problem of the diff. I also use 80,000 oil in the rear diff, and 300,000 oil in the front. I'm a Kyosho USA driver.
Jeff
Hi,
two 1.7 washers on the left and one 1.7 washer plus one 0.1 washer on the right make a total of 5.2 mm of washers. It seems to me to be too !!!
Could you help me to understand ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.