Wiki Posts
Search

Just saying thanks and goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)
Default Just saying thanks and goodbye

Had lots of great info here, completely out of nitro now, going electric. See you at the track, park, etc....Keep nitro alive!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badaml
Had lots of great info here, completely out of nitro now, going electric. See you at the track, park, etc....Keep nitro alive!
Sellout! LOL j/k Hope you enjoy the Darkside!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Damn down goes another one
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IDK why. Lipos take so damn long to charge.
I went to use my brothers electric buggy, started the charge for (2) 2s, 5000mah lipos at what his charger could handle.(1c,5 amps) started it at or around 12:15-12:30 pm at 10 minutes till 2 pm they were still charging!!

They were almost done, but then after that charge there is another hour for balance!!

It could be fixed with a 250 dollar charger though.
But even if it took 1 hour, you get 15-20min of run time then another hour to charge. or in my case that day nearly another 2:45-3 hours.

That charge time is what keeps me away from running 1/8 electric.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Nitro Engines

Well, I have both.

I ran my electric 1/8th scale buggy yesterday for about 20 minutes on a single charge.

Had a blast. No pit stops, no tuning, outside temp was about 50 degrees.

Went back into the house, pulled the other batteries off the charger and ready for the next round.

I like nitro and I will always have them. But, electric can be fun as well.
I didn't have to pay for any fuel seeing is the season is over and I am out.
When the temps get into the 20s I can do this that a nitro can't do.
I can sit in my house and run my electric car from my upstairs window. I
don't have to worry about flaming out or anything like that for again, 20 minutes. Try that with a nitro.

You might break a connecting rod..........
If you don't keep that engine warm enough, you'll be sorry...

Now when the summer comes, Nitro it is.

electrics can overheat, believe me, I've melted a few speed controllers in my time.

Tekin
Novak
Castle Creations (actually didn't melt, just stopped working)

I've melted them all.

I like nitro though. Wish 2wd Nitro truck would return.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Nitro will be just fine, it fades and then comes back, but Electric seems to be on an upswing, with all the new tech making it much easier, faster and less maintenance involved...We run Elec in the winter, and Nitro in the summer.....

Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007
I went to use my brothers electric buggy, started the charge for (2) 2s, 5000mah lipos at what his charger could handle.(1c,5 amps) started it at or around 12:15-12:30 pm at 10 minutes till 2 pm they were still charging!!

They were almost done, but then after that charge there is another hour for balance!!

But even if it took 1 hour, you get 15-20min of run time then another hour to charge. or in my case that day nearly another 2:45-3 hours.

Rx , igniter , starter box batteries all need to be charged--actually there are more batteries involved with nitro, than electric....
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

There were a few reasons I decided to go with electric. My daughter has slight asthma, and sometimes the nitro fumes can aggravate that. Also, the nearest track is 100 miles away, so racing is only a once in a while deal; I bring my family to the park and all of the parks nearby have a no gas powered engines rule (city ordinance I believe) in effect.

I also found that there are more batteries involved with nitro = Starter box, rx pack, glow ignitor.

But, nitro is still more fun to watch! I was just really surprised at how much power electrics have. Running a Vorza on 4s 30c 4500mah, and it is really fast.

Didn't want to start a flame war or debate on electric vs nitro, but did want to thank everyone for sharing all their knowledge on this site. Lots of great info (and sometimes not lol), and some really good people on here.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Prophet

no need to worry guys theres still going to plently of nitro running outdoors in 2011 trust me.

it depends on where you live at to it seems like.

i run a lipo in my slash for indoor racing and personally i dont like waiting for it to charge it takes to long just peaking them off.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good luck going green. Nitro faded in my area last year but its on the way back. I think it was a fade at my tracks .
Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nothin special
Good luck going green. Nitro faded in my area last year but its on the way back. I think it was a fade at my tracks .

really ? have you have been to hobby hut in pa it wasnt falling off there in the 09/10 season.

for sure.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

you'll be back... once you hear some scream, smell the nitro, remembering how how high it got you one night...

they all come back.

lots here are switching from electric to nitro because electric is like a silent movie, more tuning options to play with, plus that much torq in electric is just OVERTHETOP
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
you'll be back... once you hear some scream, smell the nitro, remembering how how high it got you one night...

they all come back.

lots here are switching from electric to nitro because electric is like a silent movie, more tuning options to play with, plus that much torq in electric is just OVERTHETOP

+1 now, dont get me wrong i like the smoothness of a brushless motor but i dont like the rocket blast of torque of a high power electric motor.

but i am thinking about haveing my buggy electric and my truggy nitro for the 2011 outdoor season.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tc5 man
+1 now, dont get me wrong i like the smoothness of a brushless motor but i dont like the rocket blast of torque of a high power electric motor.

but i am thinking about haveing my buggy electric and my truggy nitro for the 2011 outdoor season.
you'd have more fun running electric truggy and nitro buggy.
more feel/control
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking interesting statement about batteries

As mentioned, most Nitro guys are so hard up about electric and fail to remember, they are surrounded by batteries more than they think.

Batteries in the radio. O.K> I'll give you this one.

Batteries in the starter box. Still got to charge it. takes time and if your box isn't charged with you are at the track, you are dead in the water.

Batteries in the receiver box. Same as above. And, if you don't have your fail safe setup, here comes a run away.

I have seen too many nitro guys with this argument,but, their cars are the first to run off wide open into something like Hmmm. A large body of water..

Electric generally doesn't happen like that. Sure it might glitch due to signal loss or interference, but, I have never seen one simply take off wide open in 1 direction.

So, Nitro guys - (I am in that category, give the battery guys a break) It's all fun no matter what.

I like both and I agree with the fun factor of watching the nitro races. The smell, the sound - it's all good, but, I will say this.

Man it sure is cool to see an electric buggy effortlessly clear something no other car could other than a 10th scale electric 4wd.. He Hee

At my track, we had a tripple no one could clear. Not even our fastest electric guy. Well, I came along, and I am not fast driver, but, since I had a new car and new batteries, and of course a 2650kv motor, I had major stupid fast speed and wheel spinning tire busting torque..

I started doubling the jump like everyone else. Then I got the bright idea that I was not even pulling the trigger 1/3 throttle. So the next few laps, I started to try the tripple. The first time. I was trying to not overshoot the jump so I lawn Darted the jump. Oh well, Bullet proof buggy. Next lap I cleared it and from there I was passing people in the air.

The following track maint, some guys were angry and moved the jump further back. I told them they could move the jump back 5 more feet and I could still clear it. They didn't believe me. The following race, I kept clearing that and of course the Nitro guys were angry. Angry because they thought electric was unfair. Every excuse came out of the wood works.

Well, you know what happened after that.

Our electric class grew and grew.

Several of those who were nitro guys went to electric and have gone back because of he breakage of their cars (speed controllers) Several do booth and some are total converts.

On a warm day, I would rather run nitro because the engines can take the heat, on a cold day, I'd rather run electric.

speaking of which, I think I'm going to charge my packs and go to the track.

Luck for me, it's a short walk. My back yard.

Again. I say it's all fun..
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mgtmadness2007

You need a higher watt charger and charge them at 2c 10 amps. I use a Hyperion 615 duo and it takes about 25-30 mins to charge a 5000 2s pack that is completely drained.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.