Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TT-01, tighten slop, or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TT-01, tighten slop, or no?

I am building a TT-01 to race in spec racing locally. I am curious- I've heard others say the TT-01 chassis has a tremendous amount of play/slop when assembled. My question is, would it be a good thing to remove this slop during assembly? Or would that work against this chassis? I'm sure careful assembly and shimming/other tricks could eliminate the slop, but is this one of those chassis that the slop actually helps it?

Jason
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Not really worth it on the suspension parts. The tolerances are so big that even if you shim it up, the parts will still move, but just rub against the shims more and probably be less free running than they were before!

The TT-01 design isn't well suited to shimming anyway. It's all moulded. Your time is better spent removing the flashing that can bid some parts up.

I'd shim the areas where proper axles go through proper bearings though, should reduce the side-loads on them that can make them fail.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

+1

If you take all the slop out many times you put more bind in the drivetrain. I tried to shim everything out and went from a free spinning car to a car that barely rolled on its own.