other not in poll
3.38%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

nitro tires poll round #2 for you to chat about

Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
sweep tires are ok but their rubber is not as good as the AKA stuff. I have tried both and I havent ordered any more sweep tires. On the buggy AKA, Losi Eclipse or sometimes Proline Snipers on the truggy AKA or Proline Calibers. I race a lot and thats what seems to hook up best on most tracks in my area. I am interested in trying the wishbone and suburbs this winter.
Not sure where you race your 1/8 electric Frank, but at West Coast RC Raceway I've been running the Wishbones in Soft or Medium and they work great. Most guys are running the JC gold Barcodes..not sure if anyone has run the Suburbs in 1/8 yet (alot of guys run the 1/10 suburb) And a couple guys run the HB Beams in pink compund.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
Nice thread

I suppose i can say that cody king or anyone else who is a pro driver would have won the worlds using chinese knock offs as you guys call them as it is the ability of the driver and not the tyre for the pro guy.

If a tyre can knock off sec's off a club racers lap times and be very consistant then thats the tyre you should be looking at and talking about .

We have all this talk about AKA and pro line and many others which are top products but was anyone at the worlds to see ryan mayfield killing the field using j concepts tyres until he had a problem with the rear left shock i know as it happened in front of me .Ryan was actually smashing the others in the field during the race and it wasnt because of his tyres but his ability as a driver .

results for tyres should come from the club racer lowering his lap times not the pro guy who can drive with ready to run hard compound tyres on his car and win .

A tyre is just as good as the individual behind that radio transmitter.

Ps: most high performance tyres out on todays market are neoprene based with a touch of silicon to give it its sticky feature for grip and thats why they dont wear as fast as butyl and natural rubber and the compounds are founded by degree of temperature during process and not this ballony secret recepies that they tell you .How do i know as i am a tyre manufacturer and based in Asia and have some of the best research labs in the world based in Asia working with me government facilities as we say and if they dont know no one knows.

Its all in the process of manufacture nothing else and work by tolerences in heat .

my two cents worth .
A driver can make a lot of things look good. Tires are not one of those things. If your tires are off, you are done.

I believe it was Jason Ruona the owner of Jconcepts who is responsible for that quote.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Yes I know he is the owner of a tire company and of course would say that but it is very true. Tires are one of the most important pieces to the whole mechanical puzzle. No matter how good a factory guy may be at driving, he still has to have good equipment. Period! If one piece of the puzzle is off then it is end of story.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobby J
Yes I know he is the owner of a tire company and of course would say that but it is very true. Tires are one of the most important pieces to the whole mechanical puzzle. No matter how good a factory guy may be at driving, he still has to have good equipment. Period! If one piece of the puzzle is off then it is end of story.
I do agree but also when your up at the level of drake,tebo,king,hara etc you have to know how to adjust.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

kinda funny HB is not on there. Hara was the only one with knobbies left at the end of the worlds and he was catching up to mayfield because of it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by thunderdesigns
kinda funny HB is not on there. Hara was the only one with knobbies left at the end of the worlds and he was catching up to mayfield because of it.
This is the second poll. HB Tires didn't make it to the second round.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi_racer
I do agree but also when your up at the level of drake,tebo,king,hara etc you have to know how to adjust.

Of course you have to adjust (adjust your equipment) but all the talent in the world is not going to help you if the equipment you have is just not fast. Just because these guys can beat the club level guys even with a shoe box on wheels doesn't mean that they can compensate for ill handling cars at the top level and still contend for a win.

Adam Drake (medium talent & super work ethic) is a perfect example of this at this years worlds. He never had Tebo, Maifield, King or Hara pace all week because the Losi tires were just not there. He had to compensate for his lack of pace and did so by not pitting in his qualifiers. By doing this he squeaked into the semis where he barely held onto the the transfer spot by .03 of a second. In the main he got completely destroyed because his equipment (Tires) just did not have the absolute pace of the top guys. Even with his great fuel economy (his way of adjusting or compensating) he just didn't have the ability to overcome his equipments (Tires) lack of overall pace.

Last edited by Bobby J; 12-01-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry to get off topic from the Poll.........I vote for AKA tires. Imitated by all......duplicated by NONE!!!