Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems! >

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ekim628
I would either play with FDR or reduce throttle power to 80% for drifting. I think 7.5 is a whole lot of motor to be drifting with unless its a large track. Is that the motor everyone else at your track is using? I think you are overworking the motor and need to find a better power sweet spot. Let us know the track size and grip conditions. We are here to help you
Hi Ekim628,

the track surface is semi smooth asphalt and around 15 x 15 meters, i think this is the first Viper in our track, most of them use Novak, Mamba Max Pro and Yeah Racing.

i have other kit that has 9.64 FDR @ 110% Over Drive, motor used is Yeah Racing sensorless 5.5T, you can still touch the motor and ESC after you finish one lipo or let say 30 to 40 mins of playing with 2 or 3 mins interval every 5 mins of playing, i test the viper on this kit and the viper performs well and never got thermal issue.

my second kit where i put the Viper combo has higher over drive 120% @ 10.1 FDR and after running for 2 to 3 mins then the ESC will cut off, and the ESC and motor are too hot to touch.

i think i will try different FDR and pulley combination to solve this thermal issue.

overall i like the performance of the viper on my first kit.

BTW, do you recommend to upgrade my firmware to latest? currently im using A19 and i only use this for drifting.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jovenshadow
Hi Ekim628,

the track surface is semi smooth asphalt and around 15 x 15 meters, i think this is the first Viper in our track, most of them use Novak, Mamba Max Pro and Yeah Racing.

i have other kit that has 9.64 FDR @ 110% Over Drive, motor used is Yeah Racing sensorless 5.5T, you can still touch the motor and ESC after you finish one lipo or let say 30 to 40 mins of playing with 2 or 3 mins interval every 5 mins of playing, i test the viper on this kit and the viper performs well and never got thermal issue.

my second kit where i put the Viper combo has higher over drive 120% @ 10.1 FDR and after running for 2 to 3 mins then the ESC will cut off, and the ESC and motor are too hot to touch.

i think i will try different FDR and pulley combination to solve this thermal issue.

overall i like the performance of the viper on my first kit.

BTW, do you recommend to upgrade my firmware to latest? currently im using A19 and i only use this for drifting.
For drifting purpose you will not use boost function so i wouldn't worry about upgrading the firmware. The firmware A19 should be perfectly fine for your application.

Please try different gear ratio and let me know how it goes. Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Back the timing to 0* if you can. Also, turn down all your frequency settings to about 4000. You really don't need that much RPM with the motor you're running and the extra torques you really won't notice I don't think. But turning down those settings alone will reduce a great deal of heat.

Also, make sure you have the right profile set up in your progauge when you start. You don't want to be set for 13.5 boosted by mistake. That will cause some heat for sure.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Back the timing to 0* if you can. Also, turn down all your frequency settings to about 4000. You really don't need that much RPM with the motor you're running and the extra torques you really won't notice I don't think. But turning down those settings alone will reduce a great deal of heat.

Also, make sure you have the right profile set up in your progauge when you start. You don't want to be set for 13.5 boosted by mistake. That will cause some heat for sure.
Yes I agree, you should keep the physical timing in mind.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I may have a problem with my vtx10. I was racing earlier this evening and in the 2nd qualifier I went down one of the short straights and made the trun into the corner and lose all power to everything. Looked at the car and tried turning on the esc. All I get is the red light and the reciver light and a second or two later they go out. I even tried a diffrent servo, reciver, motor and battery with no luck. When the red light comes on nothing works at all, but when I unplug the esc from the reciver the red light on the esc won't come on.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

When is the 1S speedo coming; is one being worked in currently?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
When is the 1S speedo coming; is one being worked in currently?
Yea, i really want to get my grubby, sweaty paws on one!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just wanted to share that my Viper powered Kyosho truck ran great again last night. I tq'ed and won the main... I run a 10.5 motor with boost
Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have the pc-link cables and want to re-flash the firmware on my vtx10r. Where can I download the pc-link software file from?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits

Hi Scott,

How do i turn the timing to 0*? is it at the back of the can that has 3 screw? all i see there is 15-30-45 (correct me if my wrong).

i load the profile 5 now and i just change the Run Mode to practice and thats all i change.

i also use 30T pinion now, im my counter steer setup in drifting the motor and ESC doesnt produce more heat than before (and also the weather is cold now here in Dubai)

and also can you help me to change change some of the setting that i can turn down for drifting, as i dont really need to go fast in drifting. i think changing some of the setting will help me eliminate more heat from the motor and ESC.

TIA,

David
Old 11-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ran my VTX/VST's in my touring cars last night for the first time (club race). Trying to figure out my "go fast" setup in a hurry, I managed to run my boosted 13.5 to 200+ degrees a number of times. Car was screamin fast but...
Not my first rodeo but, I learned once again that it's better to approach a good setup in small increments than try to nail it for the first heat! The motor survived but will need at least a new rotor.

I'm starting to understand the synergy between "boost" and "slew rate" and some of the other finite adjustments that are available with the pro guage. I guess with any new gear there's a learining curve. The VTX is the smoothest speedo I've driven, it's pretty obvious already that Viper is quality equipment and fast!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re temp

I wasnt going to go over 200*f and I was running a fdr 3.37 on a couple of long striaghts and big sweepers..... I tiny little bit of a tight section but no brakes pretty much just flat the whole time..... Now I was hitting 175*f and maybe the very odd 180*f on a 17.5 blinky.
I was running 45* endbell timing and 100% brake and throttle strength with no drag or neutral brake at all... The pwm for the throttle is at 4000 but have tried it up to 8000 with a little difference in smoother throttle and a tiny if any top end... AS for the brake pwm i played with it abit too and then put it back to 4000
Is there anything I missed as today I did push temps with the gearing on a different track today but dailed the endbell timing down to 15* and it was back to 175*f instead of 195*f I was running with 45* endbell...
Cheers
Fordy

Originally Posted by pcar951
Ran my VTX/VST's in my touring cars last night for the first time (club race). Trying to figure out my "go fast" setup in a hurry, I managed to run my boosted 13.5 to 200+ degrees a number of times. Car was screamin fast but...
Not my first rodeo but, I learned once again that it's better to approach a good setup in small increments than try to nail it for the first heat! The motor survived but will need at least a new rotor.

I'm starting to understand the synergy between "boost" and "slew rate" and some of the other finite adjustments that are available with the pro guage. I guess with any new gear there's a learining curve. The VTX is the smoothest speedo I've driven, it's pretty obvious already that Viper is quality equipment and fast!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Rookie

how do i change/adjust the angle in the endbell?

do i need to remove the 3 screw and rotate? or just loosen all the 3 screw then rotate it?

and if i will adjust it to 15* does it lower my esc and motor temperature?

once i change to 15* do i need to change anything to the progauge?

pls help.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jovenshadow
how do i change/adjust the angle in the endbell?

do i need to remove the 3 screw and rotate? or just loosen all the 3 screw then rotate it?

and if i will adjust it to 15* does it lower my esc and motor temperature?

once i change to 15* do i need to change anything to the progauge?

pls help.
Adjusting the endbell timing is by loosening those three screws just a touch unless its the first time you have moved it then its a little tigher so remove them a little more and gently use your allen driver btween two of the screws and twist.... Now as for adjusting timing in any case being electronicly or manually on the endbell it raises and lowers temps you are right...

I lowered my endbell timing from 45* to 15* today and it run 20 to 25*f cooler with the same gearing and a fresh battery on a 17.5 vst on a vtx10 for nearly 8 mins in a hot day here in australia..... So to say adjusting timing yes it will raise and lower temps but you need to find what works in your place of racing and how hot the air temp and track temp is to start with and then go from them with all your driving style and then be picky and hope your car isnt binding up and cause to much drag on the motor....

Alot of ppl think its all about the motor and speed and so on and so on but have a crappy battery will not help supply the pwer needed too sothings will get hotter aswell.... its all needs to work together unless you have a endless budget go hard

Hope this helps mate. All the wins are made in the pits and your 90% there
Regards'
Fordy
Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjfo80
I wasnt going to go over 200*f and I was running a fdr 3.37 on a couple of long striaghts and big sweepers..... I tiny little bit of a tight section but no brakes pretty much just flat the whole time..... Now I was hitting 175*f and maybe the very odd 180*f on a 17.5 blinky.
I was running 45* endbell timing and 100% brake and throttle strength with no drag or neutral brake at all... The pwm for the throttle is at 4000 but have tried it up to 8000 with a little difference in smoother throttle and a tiny if any top end... AS for the brake pwm i played with it abit too and then put it back to 4000
Is there anything I missed as today I did push temps with the gearing on a different track today but dailed the endbell timing down to 15* and it was back to 175*f instead of 195*f I was running with 45* endbell...
Cheers
Fordy
Obviously your track is quite large and flowing (3.37), it may be worth trying the 12.30 rotor (8VSPVSTR02) for more RPM (better top end). As long as you're not looking for a lot of bottom end grunt, just a thought.

I'll be testing the other way for 17.5 blinky. We run on small technical carpet tracks here, need tons of rip off the corners as well as decent top end. So I've ordered some 12.80 rotors.

Jim C.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.