Wiki Posts
Search

Damn Traxxas for intruducing RTR

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
I dont see what the big deal is. Any car that is gonna race is gonna be taken apart and rebuilt at some point anyway. When I first bought my Slash, before I raced it was disassembled to,

change the shock oil,
replace the arms with RPM pieces,
change the diff oil,
clean the bearings of their grease and re-oiled,
put my own electronics in,
put on Caliber tires,
and put on a custom painted body.

That pretty much makes it as though I built it myself.
The traxxas slash is modular. You can buy a complete diff, rather than build one. They took it one step farther than RTR.

The steps you took are are about the last 2 pages of any kit manual. Final build items. A fun kit to build will have almost 15-20 pages of steps to build, and over 20 bags of trees with parts.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daign
The traxxas slash is modular. You can buy a complete diff, rather than build one. They took it one step farther than RTR.

The steps you took are are about the last 2 pages of any kit manual. Final build items. A fun kit to build will have almost 15-20 pages of steps to build, and over 20 bags of trees with parts.
Ever consider that not everyone is trying to get the same out of RC that you are and not everyone thinks a build that involves 15-20 pages is fun?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Initiate

As someone who has built a number of RC aircraft from balsa sheet, and who has also built quite a few cars from kit, I can appreciate some things about the RTR/RTF concept. Yeah, I agree that it's a lot of fun and quite satisfying to build from a kit, and you definitely develop a great understanding of your vehicle and what makes it tick. However, these days, I have less time to invest in building. Hard for me to justify 100 man hours alone in the shop tinkering when I could be hanging out w my family doing stuff. My two girls like to get involved in my hobby, but a couple of days ironing monokote or soldering on a car is a little much to ask of them, I think. At least with planes, I love the fact that for around $200, I can get a nice scale looking sport plane and within 30 minutes of leaving the LHS, I can be flying/crashing! I still like building cars, but my time investment in building a car is a lot less.

With the RTR cars, at least someone who is interested in the hobby can try it out NOW without the frustration that sometimes comes with trying something new (and in the case of building TC's, often complicated). If they get into it and like it, then they're more willing to invest time in something more advanced like a TC or SC truck kit.

I definitely see both sides, but I think the RTRs DO bring people into the hobby and ultimately makes it more fun for all of us. Hopefully they'll like it enough to do some builds eventually!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Ever consider that not everyone is trying to get the same out of RC that you are and not everyone thinks a build that involves 15-20 pages is fun?

absolutely. And thats why companies should sell kits as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I stopped RC about 15 years ago because I moved on to other hobbies. A sudden life change (disability) brought me back into the hobby. The BUILD is what I buy the car for.
I highsided an Aprilia RSV1000R at over 100mph, (on the track or I wouldn't be here), my bones came outside for the first time in my life and were ground down by the asphalt. Permanent damage unfortunately. So I reacquainted myself with the old toy cars in 2004, and fell into racing in 2009.

Not quite as good as 120mph knee down and 190mph on the straight but must say I love it - been thoroughly absorbing. Appeals to my scientific nature
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hana166
I highsided an Aprilia RSV1000R at over 100mph, (on the track or I wouldn't be here), my bones came outside for the first time in my life and were ground down by the asphalt. Permanent damage unfortunately. So I reacquainted myself with the old toy cars in 2004, and fell into racing in 2009.

Not quite as good as 120mph knee down and 190mph on the straight but must say I love it - been thoroughly absorbing. Appeals to my scientific nature
We're quite similar! I track my camaro as well frequently at the socal tracks but havent been out since Big Willow last year. Adrenaline is a natural painkiller so I'd be in a lot of pain in the pits in between sessions, but on the track all is good. If only it stayed that way.

They implanted an intrethecal spinal pain pump about 4 months ago so I've been adjusting to it and spending a lot of time at home.

I've built 10 RC models in the past year, sold 2 Gmade crawlers for $700 too. Turns out there IS a market for people who build RC cars

Building to me is therapy, it fascinates me how everything works together. I built every single Tamtech car most recently. Amazing scale details but a boring build.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

absolutely. And thats why companies should sell kits as well.
Rock on.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Rock on.
I guess thats the result of this thread. Companies like HPI, traxxas, and Associated need to offer the customer a kit alongside the RTR in case they enjoy that side of the hobby. And Dads need to builds cars with their kids!

Shouldn't a kit be cheaper and easier to sell!?

thats what I don't get. We're doing the building FOR THEM!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

I guess thats the result of this thread. Companies like HPI, traxxas, and Associated need to offer the customer a kit alongside the RTR in case they enjoy that side of the hobby. And Dads need to builds cars with their kids!

Shouldn't a kit be cheaper and easier to sell!?

thats what I don't get. We're doing the building FOR THEM!
I think your points about building a kit are completely valid. I just think they are a bit out of touch with the way things are today. I'm 39 so I do remember getting those Tower Hobbies catalogs and everything was a kit. It was either build it yourself or head to Toys R us for some Nikko POS that was barely capable of handling a parking lot. RC for me is racing TC and 1/12th so kits are about the only way to go for me and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a RTR on the track without a teardown anyway. I think the fact is most people don't race and just want something to charge up and have fun with. There is room for both. The most important thing is people are still in the hobby and like you said, we have choices.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I really dont care if it's RTR or kit as long as its got most of the features that I wanted.

I bought a TC4 RTR in 2007 since there's no kit version available and Im satisfied with it up to now.

Im happy that AE offered a kit version of the SC10. I think mid level kits should be offered in both kit form and RTR.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

RTR means Rebuild -Then- Run if you are a racer. RTR build quality is typically very low. Most of the time half the fasterners are over/under tightened to the point of almost being stripped out or falling apart. RTR radios, esc's, servos and motors usually suck. Not all the time though, my SC10 was a RTR and it was put together well. However, the motor quit working after 4 runs and the servo was sloppy, to say the least. ESC was great though. I had purchased a slash RTR not long after they came out, that truck took itself apart within hours, alot of screws backed out.