Wiki Posts
Search

Damn Traxxas for intruducing RTR

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
I went into a local hobbyshop with the intention of buying a good kit for my first hobby grade rc, but they didn't have anything I wanted in stock and ended up selling me on a RTR that I regretted buying within a couple of weeks. I didn't really know much at the time and was somewhat taken advantage of by a sales person who could probably tell I had some cash to spend on a new toy and really wanted to walk out with something that day.

Most of the hobby shops near me have tons of RTRs, barely any kits and basically zero competition grade kits. The shops just stock garbage. That is the biggest problem. Now I don't care as much, because I just order most things online and the shops that sell crap don't get any of my business.
Same here in Los Angeles. Local Hobby shops are DEAD. Theres only 3 reputable ones within a 25mile radius of me and most of them carry RTR only.

They say its what sells. Along with integy.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I just started "real rc" back when I saw slashes getting raced in january. Got the rtr and was hooked. 2 weeks later went to a FT B4, then a FT T4, then a blitz, 4x4 slash and ..... now I got a ta-05v2, tto1, m05. See what that rtr started? I didnt know jack shit on what was brushless, lipos, or 2.4 early this year. Now at this point all my cars are 80% rtr with my dx3s or m8
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

If I'm racing, I prefer to build the kit, but if I'm buying something to run with my little bro or bash around, I don't want to put the time or effort into it.

RTR and kits both have their place.

Anyways, it's Traxxas you have to thank for the hobby being as big as it is.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
Anyways, it's Tamiya you have to thank for the hobby being as big as it is.
fixed for ya. ahem
http://picasaweb.google.com/Tamiya.a.../MyCollection#
Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daign
Sir you need help. That is the coolest coolection of Tamiya I have seen in a while. Awesome.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

I'm sorry, but Tamiya didn't do what Traxxas has done although they both have their merits.

My first car was a Kyosho followed by a Tamiya TA-02 almost 20 years ago, but the hobby blew up with Traxxas as much as you guys hate to admit it.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Same here in Los Angeles. Local Hobby shops are DEAD. Theres only 3 reputable ones within a 25mile radius of me and most of them carry RTR only.

They say its what sells. Along with integy.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am curious, did any of you start only because you could buy an RTR or would you have purchased and built a kit if no other option was available?
I probably would have bought a kit. I just finished building my new custom works rocket latemodel kit, I love building kits. It was just easy to get the RTR and try out a new hobby. My family has races full size dirt oval cars for YEARS, my dad raced for almost 40 years off and on. We all came into money problem around the same time and I found rc dirt oval racing and we all fell in love. It is a family thing to us now during the outdoor season. Dad, my brother and myself race, and mom, my brother's girlfriend and 2 kids, my girlfriend and 7 month old daughter come out for just a good time. This is probably the best family thing a family can do. It is always fun when the tables turn and you teach your father (64 yrs old, I am 20) stuff like setup when he has taught you the same on big cars lol.

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
If I'm racing, I prefer to build the kit, but if I'm buying something to run with my little bro or bash around, I don't want to put the time or effort into it.

RTR and kits both have their place.

Anyways, it's Traxxas you have to thank for the hobby being as big as it is.
Agreed. A race car is built, not bought. And a basher?, who cares lol. I had a tmaxx as a basher last year and 2 of the shocks were held on my zip ties lol, great times!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Team Associated recently eliminated the SC8e kit. I really do feel that building your car is what makes you take pride in racing it, driving it, or fixing it. You learn how the components work, how solid the materials and screws are. I know most of us built our first RC cars at a young age, myself was a Tamiya Frog in 1983. I've been in and out of the hobby ever since.

But I've never, ever bought a RTR car. I guess it makes sense for kids with a local track that just want to get into the hobby but even so, I believe it'd be better if the entire traxxas and HPI lineup was all kit form. Each car would be unique and those whom can't build their car right, can't run yours off the track.

It makes me sad when I go into a "post pix of your SC truck" thread and all the trucks have stock bodies and look the same....

I'm 31 for reference, so maybe I'm considered old around here. What are your thoughts on how RTR has changed the hobby?

You built a frog when you were 4, that's pretty impressive....
Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont see what the big deal is. Any car that is gonna race is gonna be taken apart and rebuilt at some point anyway. When I first bought my Slash, before I raced it was disassembled to,

change the shock oil,
replace the arms with RPM pieces,
change the diff oil,
clean the bearings of their grease and re-oiled,
put my own electronics in,
put on Caliber tires,
and put on a custom painted body.

That pretty much makes it as though I built it myself.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Perhaps the original poster was saying that an important aspect of the hobby has been eliminated by the rise of the rtr. Effort.

I agree with the first poster. Tamiya changed the world. First car was a Mardave 1/8 gas pancar in 1978. Then a Sand Scorcher in 1980. I stopped in 1988 with my Avante.

But there was a decline around 1988 in the UK at least with the rise of nintendo and other electronic games. These require little effort and provide instant gratification. A bigger market.

So it is not surprising the rtr has been successful, it seems appropriate for the time we live in. Most simply want to be entertained, not educated, and that bigger market hopefully feeds some into the deeper interest of racing.

Returned in 2004 to find this cool internet forum. Now that didn't exist in 1978..
Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

You all have great points but you also have to realize it simply we are evolving into a society that wants it now. A kit is great to learn but I find it also to be a great learning experiece when you take apart a RTR and put it back together with the upgrades that you like. It's the same affect not just so "old school".

Don't let the RTRs ruin your R/C experience for you. It's just a quick route into the R/C world from there, you take that little experience you learned from your RTR and build from it. Just my .02
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
You all have great points but you also have to realize it simply we are evolving into a society that wants it now. A kit is great to learn but I find it also to be a great learning experiece when you take apart a RTR and put it back together with the upgrades that you like. It's the same affect not just so "old school".

Don't let the RTRs ruin your R/C experience for you. It's just a quick route into the R/C world from there, you take that little experience you learned from your RTR and build from it. Just my .02
I guess I'm just feeling old lately.

I searched high and low for the last SC8e kit when they discontinued it. I found one in a small hobby shop in Ottawa canada and had it shipped to CA. The woman that sold me it was shocked they discontinued it as well and understands my passion for building.

The SC8E is one of the best builds I've ever done, beside my shortened SCX10 Tamiya Unimog hybrid.

I guess I just like to build things my way from the start. I hated starting with a roller when I bought my Slash 4x4. I dont know how the diffs are put together etc. Sure theres a parts explosion diagram but I wish I had the opportunity to build them myself with a proper build manual.

I remember when traxxas came on the scene and I thought it was great another company was trying something new.

Buying a RTR is no different than walking into radioshack and buying a car to me. Except ones a lot higher quality.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FangsCPO

I'm just concerned kits will be eliminated all together. I love the act of searching 30 bags of parts on trees. Better yet I miss the days of proper Tamiya Packaging with blister packs and layers you would open as you built like a book!

Kids these days will never get that experience and are too impatient. Instead they go buy a RTR 1/18th scale frog.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hana166
Perhaps the original poster was saying that an important aspect of the hobby has been eliminated by the rise of the rtr. Effort.

I agree with the first poster. Tamiya changed the world. First car was a Mardave 1/8 gas pancar in 1978. Then a Sand Scorcher in 1980. I stopped in 1988 with my Avante.

But there was a decline around 1988 in the UK at least with the rise of nintendo and other electronic games. These require little effort and provide instant gratification. A bigger market.

So it is not surprising the rtr has been successful, it seems appropriate for the time we live in. Most simply want to be entertained, not educated, and that bigger market hopefully feeds some into the deeper interest of racing.

Returned in 2004 to find this cool internet forum. Now that didn't exist in 1978..
Precisely. I've noticed a huge shift from people building RC cars to racing. Not a bad thing but theres not tracks in every town. If you've never built a Tamiya kit you don't understand where the roots of this hobby came from. Especially an older tamiya kit with blister packs.

I stopped RC about 15 years ago because I moved on to other hobbies. A sudden life change (disability) brought me back into the hobby. The BUILD is what I buy the car for.

In fact people are so lazy I buy kits and sell them built on ebay and people buy them just because they're handbuilt and different than the RTRs....

My stepfather bought me a Frog and said "this is going to take a while to build so ask if you need help". Even back then I pumped out that frog within 2 days and made my own track in a field a few blocks away.

My frog was green, not pink. SEE there ARE benefits to kits

I don't have one for 50 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.