Motor Help

Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Help

How do you tell how many cells (Lipo) can your motor handle. Pretend I had a 4600 kv Mamba Max Pro Brushless Motor/Esc, the Castle Creations Website says that they can handle up to 6 cells but I know that the 9000kv motor would go BOOOM on 6s. If I am unclear (which I am) visit the website and click on mamba max pro, look and tell me how many cells each motor can handle. PLZZZZ HELP AND COMMENT ANY QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!!!!!!?!?!?!!!!!!!!?!?! !? :?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I have a Mamba Max Pro/5700 in one of my touring cars and I won't use more than 3S with it. I mostly run it on 2S, but if I really want a ton of acceleration or we are running in a large parking lot, Ill throw in a 3S pack... although it runs much hotter. It easily gets up to 140-150 on 3S with 2 cooling fans and a heatsink when running laps. Without the fans, I wouldn't even run it on 3S, it just gets way too hot after a few minutes of constant running. On 3S my car can easily run over 60mph but running on a normal size track, 2S is enough for me and temps are nice and cool. Are you looking for something to just go really fast on the street or something to actually run on a track (or improvised parking lot track)?

Running any of them on 4S, 5S or 6S without plenty of cooling will just wear them out quicker from all of the heat unless they are just run in short bursts. Sure it can be done, but it has to be pretty hard on the motors.