Wiki Posts
Search

Mantisworx F1 chassis!! sneek peek

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk

Heard from Marty in a while? I wonder how he is doing. I was a fan of his and in the pursuit of an Irs F1 car, I was a fan of this design. Taking a lot from the F201 (Or Just F1 in general) and using a TC rear drive line. I really did like this approach. I dont know if he would have been more successful if he had not had so many health problems. He could have made money just cutting out nice chassis for Tamiya F1 cars.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
What is this "ball dif drama, no tweak nothing" you speak of.
I have no tweak screws on my F-103, and the diff gets maintenance once a year, maybe

I'm sure there are some racers that wouldn't mind having a hi-end, fully suspended, sedan like version of an F1 car.

But when you can run a low cost, simple, perhaps "dated design" F1, as you say.
Why not stick to that program.
What is the point in making it more expensive than it needs to be ?

Are we not hurting enough yet, from all the hi-end stuff out there ?
you are not having tweak or dif issues because you are running a silvercan. hard to tweak anything with a slow motor. boost a 17.5 and then get back to me
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
you are not having tweak or dif issues because you are running a silvercan. hard to tweak anything with a slow motor. boost a 17.5 and then get back to me
I believe the last RedBull F1 car I saw run in the UF1 series had a 1S 10.5 boosted
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by madjack
I believe the last RedBull F1 car I saw run in the UF1 series had a 1S 10.5 boosted

could be, i just assumed he was running a SC like everyone else!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

could be, i just assumed he was running a SC like everyone else!
Silvercans are for vibrators

I've run 4.5 to 21.5 with F1
Settled on 1s 10.5 boosted, which is comparable to 13.5 2s.

This is the most power we can use on our size tracks here in socal, there simply isn't room to go any faster.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

boost a 17.5 and then get back to me

I believe that Redbullfix has been around the block and has run everything under the sun with a great deal of success *cough* Former Formula 1 National Champion *cough* and it would be wise not to dismiss his comments and suggestions.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rtypec
I believe that Redbullfix has been around the block and has run everything under the sun with a great deal of success *cough* Former Formula 1 National Champion *cough* and it would be wise not to dismiss his comments and suggestions.
That was a long time ago

Seriously though, I like what Mantis is doing, the creativity is cool and all, but I don't see how going faster, at a higher cost, and complexity, will do anything to improve the hobby.

imho, Sedans have gone too far, and F1's work well as they are.
I'm sure an IRS car would be better for bashing, and some untreated surfaces, but in the big picture what does it do if it raises the cost, & complexity to enter the hobby.

Realistic looking cars are the main entry point to this hobby.
Look at short course for an example.

I also make an example of Sedans, as we have seen them go from TA-01 to 417.
I doubt they are any more fun to drive now, but they sure do cost more and go faster.

Take all this with a grain of salt, as I am a 12th scale purest at heart
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

A well done IRS car will look more realistic than a pan car rear suspension.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rtypec

im not dismissing anything or anyone. all i am saying is to have an opinion on something that you yourself have not driven or tested is not a valid opinion. i have all styles of F1's in my possesion. Red my chassis would not be anymore expensive (in quantity) than a 104 which as we all know is overpriced for what it is. think about it. only real cost is A arms and gear box, the gear box cost less than a 104 dif and a arms are not expensive at all, the shocks are also cheaper than the tamiya center shock, the only reason it is expensive is because i have to hand make it. my car is not meant for bashing you have seen the video, its obvious the car performs at a very high level and that is what i built it for! like you said though you are a 12th scaler by heart and so naturally that is where your views stem from. Eventually i will make to one of the Cali events promoting my new website www.rcshox.com which is going strong! so with anyluck sometime in the near future we can have a mod F1 race!

Insp= you are 100% correct!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by robk
I don't think you guys understand why the opinion of a lot of people is to leave things alone. There is nothing wrong with what you want to do. You can even be like Mantisworx and build your own car. Hell, I'll probably even buy a 3Racing car because it is awesome looking.

That being said, if you actually want people to RACE the cars instead of look at them or just run them at the track, you want to go with the momentum. Tamiya builds beautifully detailed scale rc cars. They are also a giant corporation in terms of the hobby. Their decision was to stick with the straight axle formula when they brought out a new F1 car.

Why? The F201 was pretty much a flop. It looked awesome with full suspension, and even the non scale 4wd which was supposed to make it easier to drive than a pan style car didn't help.

This also has nothing to do with ROAR or anyone else's rules. The last time there was a ROAR F1 race was at the carpet nats in 1998 - I was there. The only rules that really have mattered for the last 10+ years have been Tamiya's TCS rules, and even with their backing, the F201 really wasn't a huge deal except for the die hards.

Right now, F1 has actually built up some momentum, enough that the IIC race in Vegas is going to have a class of 20 cars minimum. That has taken a few years since the F103RM reappeared and got the ball rolling again. I don't know how introducing a more complicated car will enhance the racing besides making it harder and more expensive. I know the motivation is to that everyone here has a sincere interest in F1. Maybe you would like to race "proper race cars" or a car with IRS because that's what the real cars have. The reality is that adding complexity to an already niche class does not help it draw participants.

WOW! Look at that front brake set up. That I thought I came up with. But didn't. I guess everything has at least been tried at one time or another. Rob, are those your cars? And if so, what's it like to drive a pan car with front brakes? Seems a car like that would be a weapon!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Kelly
WOW! Look at that front brake set up. That I thought I came up with. But didn't. I guess everything has at least been tried at one time or another. Rob, are those your cars? And if so, what's it like to drive a pan car with front brakes? Seems a car like that would be a weapon!
Those are photos from a group in Germany, where Pro10 is still very popular.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think they ever ended up selling them but here is one of more extreme brake setups http://www.redrc.net/2010/07/rc-devi...raking-system/
Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Eventually i will make to one of the Cali events promoting my new website www.rcshox.com which is going strong! so with anyluck sometime in the near future we can have a mod F1 race!
Cool.
It would be great to have you come out and race with us.
Always look forward to more competitors in the UF1 series