Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas 1/8th Scale??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Traxxas did make race vehicles back in the day with the TCP 1/10th 2wd Buggy and the SRT 2wd Truck and they were very competitive and quality could easily rival Losi and Ae vehicles of that era. Traxxas then started the RTR idea and it has worked very well for them.I think they have the means to make a racer but they make a killing in the RTR market and they bank on that. I believe there are far more bashers than racers so they buy traxxas and for the most part are highly satisfied with their cars and the after market parts support for them.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trx-1racer
That is correct, I was on that team, although it was a very long time ago. The first big event for the TRX-1 car was the 1991 IFMAR Worlds in Detroit. Scott Montgomery took a top 5 finish in the finals and Traxxas seemed to be on their way to some serious racing success.

Their success was limited as the car was really suited to loamy tracks like Detroit and didn't perform as well on hardpack as the other cars. We were shortening the wheelbase and adding roll bars to get the car to not roll over in the corners and to pivot quicker. They did make a TRX-3 that was intended to be a competitive platform but shortly after it was released, Traxxas discovered the Radio Shack buyer that wanted just a little more and soon the Traxxas we have now was born.

Fortunately, Detroit was a very rough track and suited the Traxxas TRX-1 well. Even AE had a completely 1 off car built for that track. You can see it here:

http://www.robobugs.net/galleries/co...s-winning-rc10

The front arms and uprights look like more like a current 1/8 buggy than a 1991 1/10 car.

I hope Traxxas gets back in to it some day, but I wouldn't count on it.
Originally Posted by Oasis
Sorry..but the traxxas cars/trucks were NOT competitive on the national level back in the early 90's..some guys had limited success on the club level but as the quality of drivers went up the shortcomings of the cars/trucks came out. I was aproached by traxxas about 4 months before the nationals in 92..I did try the truck and the buggy..I gave them back....I wanted to make the A's..I did....just not using a traxxas..and to their credit they understood their position within the hobby, and now they ARE the major player in the industry, now on the racing..have you guys noticed (I can't be the only one) that the classes they have success in they invented..monster truck..SC..as more and more racing companies become involved in SC racing traxxas is losing their market share..only in the racing part..

The TRX platform was a very competitive car...out of the box!
Jim Jenkins and 2 of his drivers made a stop at Dalton Raceway a week before going on to Savannah,Ga. 1 drove stock and the other mod. I was the stock class champion there and I had the best race in my life that day. I ran a JRX2 then and the differences in the 2 cars as far as handling was astonishing. The TRX was just a much smoother driving car... Long story short, with the help of Jim Jenkins and Danny Brooks, I had a TRX ready for Savannah. The car was capable of some serious ass kickin'. Off road and dirt oval.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by off road god

The TRX platform was a very competitive car...out of the box!
Jim Jenkins and 2 of his drivers made a stop at Dalton Raceway a week before going on to Savannah,Ga. 1 drove stock and the other mod. I was the stock class champion there and I had the best race in my life that day. I ran a JRX2 then and the differences in the 2 cars as far as handling was astonishing. The TRX was just a much smoother driving car... Long story short, with the help of Jim Jenkins and Danny Brooks, I had a TRX ready for Savannah. The car was capable of some serious ass kickin'. Off road and dirt oval.
Not where the fast guys were at..
Not to start to much here..but Cali has always been where the fast guys are..it was that way in the 90's and it's still that way..
Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why would Traxxas spend money on designers, a full race team, hundreds of hours in R&D hours to produce a 1/8 scale race buggy? They are already known as a basher, so their product would not sell well to the racers, but the fact is, is they are the richest rc company. No proof, but you don't see any other companies advertising on TV and selling their cars at PepBoys.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
Why would Traxxas spend money on designers, a full race team, hundreds of hours in R&D hours to produce a 1/8 scale race buggy? They are already known as a basher, so their product would not sell well to the racers, but the fact is, is they are the richest rc company. No proof, but you don't see any other companies advertising on TV and selling their cars at PepBoys.
You just contradicted what you just said. "Why would Traxxas spend money on designers, a full race team, hundreds of hours in R&D hours to produce a 1/8 scale race buggy?" then said "but the fact is, is they are the richest rc company. No proof, but you don't see any other companies advertising on TV and selling their cars at PepBoys" !!! that's exactly my point they throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at advertisements, sponsorships of real off road racing, etc but don't even have a real race vehicle! Just dosent seem to make sense to me!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jomo918
You just contradicted what you just said. "Why would Traxxas spend money on designers, a full race team, hundreds of hours in R&D hours to produce a 1/8 scale race buggy?" then said "but the fact is, is they are the richest rc company. No proof, but you don't see any other companies advertising on TV and selling their cars at PepBoys" !!! that's exactly my point they throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at advertisements, sponsorships of real off road racing, etc but don't even have a real race vehicle! Just dosent seem to make sense to me!
And they have made all that money from their T-Maxx's, Revo's, and Slash's. What I am trying to say is that there is no need for them to produce a 1/8 scale buggy in an already flooded market. Traxxas is a business, and they will do whatever makes the most financial sense for them. They won't make a buggy 'just because.' How many 1/8 scale buggies are made, and how many 4wd SC's are made?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

have you guys noticed (I can't be the only one) that the classes they have success in they invented..monster truck..SC..as more and more racing companies become involved in SC racing traxxas is losing their market share..only in the racing part..
i have, lol. so true.....traxxas was my 1st hobby grade rc and i had a ball w/them. the fanboys are what turned me away from traxxas. in ref to the MT championships, trx won those under the radar-lets say out of 20 entries 16-18 of them were Revos so who did u expect to win, lol. As soon as the Revo was dethroned MT all of a sudden "died out" and the SC was the new hot sh*t, lmao! and with companies like mugen offering pro-built kits now traxxas should just stay in their respective lane IMO & leave 1/8 alone
Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not where the fast guys were at..
Not to start to much here..but Cali has always been where the fast guys are..it was that way in the 90's and it's still that way..

Too bad you weren't one of the fast guys.....Traxxas was based in Texas and thats where Jim pulled his drivers from...If Mike Jenkins had the same interest in competitve racing that Jim had then Traxxas would probably have a few world championships.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

I personally think Traxxas might do well with an RTR 1/8 buggy. If they spec it with a 2.4 system and the 3.3 engine and can have the price in the right range, those who bought the Slash have no doubt hear of how fun the buggies are and probably have the brand loyalty to give it a go, how hard can it be?

(/Clarkson)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tromoly
I personally think Traxxas might do well with an RTR 1/8 buggy. If they spec it with a 2.4 system and the 3.3 engine and can have the price in the right range, those who bought the Slash have no doubt hear of how fun the buggies are and probably have the brand loyalty to give it a go, how hard can it be?

(/Clarkson)
+1

Traxxas has had to of tossed around the idea. Who knows if it will ever happen but if it does it will draw in more new racers to the track.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jomo918
I always wondered why Traxxas, as big of a company they are, why they don't make a true Race 1/8th scale buggy or truggy? Does anyone know why? Just curious!
because thier products are so unreliable, plastic fantastic for traxxas, the plastic they use is worse/the same as hsp,redcat etc.

they would have to massivly think about quality... if they used their current plastic method, you wouldnt even get a lap in.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Traxxas is like weed. A gateway drug. Everyone starts out with Traxxas and gets hooked then moves on to more potent stuff.... a la the money pit that is called 1/8 scale RC racing.

I really think Traxxas could have a market for RTR 1/8 racing. Think Hot Bodies D8 pricing with the radio, starter box, etc.

I'm actually surprised they haven't come out with a game changing RTR electric 1/8 scale as it fits their plug and play model. Something based off their 4x4 slash that would be cheaper and lighter than a typical Nitro car but more durable than fragile 1/10 cars.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Funny how we can remember random R/C trivia from times long ago,

Anyway I would agree that Traxxas is one of the richest Mfg.'s in the industry. For sure the last man standing so to say as they, as far as I know but could be wrong, have not been bought out by another Mfg. or slod out to another Mfg. as some others have. That is another topic though.

From a design point, what could Traxxas bring to the 1/8th market that is not already out? Elec. 1/8th aside for the moment. I would think that every Mfg. has this same question to be answered. Basically what would make their product stand out from the rest? I don't think it's a road Traxxas is willing to explore at this time. Like I said, they don't have to. Now the elec. side of 1/8th could be something that Traxxas would look into as is does play into their plug and play model that they do so well with. Again, not sure if they want to explore that, but they could easily do so. Time will tell.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok so this is a prototype. I built it a while ago when this wasnt mentioned much put i was asked to put up pics so here they are. Note i said its the same length as my d8 hex to hex and it is exact. Technically this is a 1/8th and from the pics you can do this easily whithout any harm or cost but a front and rear bumper. You will need a wing mout any should work so not much to do this either. Well further or do here are some pics. Please no bad mouth this is prototype and i am making it better but like i said this is one of the first ones ever.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE DIRT AND OIL AND WHAT NOT LOL ITS A SLASH
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Ok so this is a prototype. I built it a while ago when this wasnt mentioned much put i was asked to put up pics so here they are. Note i said its the same length as my d8 hex to hex and it is exact. Technically this is a 1/8th and from the pics you can do this easily whithout any harm or cost but a front and rear bumper. You will need a wing mout any should work so not much to do this either. Well further or do here are some pics. Please no bad mouth this is prototype and i am making it better but like i said this is one of the first ones ever.

:
Thats pretty cool! it looks like a buggy, and unless you knew it was a traxxas, you would never really know until close inspection. I like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.