Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New Rustler won't go - new to the game >

New Rustler won't go - new to the game

New Rustler won't go - new to the game

Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Rustler won't go - new to the game

I just recently (a week or so ago) went to the local hobby shop and decided to get a real RC car. I got the entry level Traxxas Rustler with the Titan 12T550 and xl-5 in it. I ran it over the weekend early morning in the wet grass and dirt in the backyard. Later that day when I went back out to mess with it it didn't want to go. It continued to do this and as I ran a battery or so it would get faster and faster and more smooth back to normal. I was messing with it last night went forward and then reverse and it quit. COMPLETELY. It won't go at all anymore. I can turn the wheels and the light on the XL-5 comes on but nothing from the motor. Suggestions please.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This forum is for technical probs with the RC Tech internet site itself.

You need to post in eithe rthe Rookie thread or the Offroad Elect forums. You'r more likely to get answers there than in here.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Or, I can just move it there(though I DO wish more people would read the descriptions of each section before they start posting, would save them a lot of confusion, & us a little of the extra work)...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well of course with out saying check and make sure your battries are charged. Now with that out of you way make sure the throttle trims are set to Nutral I know from experince that traxxas is really sensitve when it comes to the throttle trim. If still nothing check the connections on your motor to the ESC and also the Crystal is set in place. IF still nothing try blowing out the motor end bell. And if still nothing use the manuel and reset the ESC hope this helps.
Ed
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Or, I can just move it there(though I DO wish more people would read the descriptions of each section before they start posting, would save them a lot of confusion, & us a little of the extra work)...

Bob, the name of that forum seems to cause confusion for some, they see "tech" and post away without further consideration. If they ever opened a thread there, they'd realize they were in the wrong place. I don't think that's going to change unfortunately.....

To the OP - have you unplugged the esc wire to the rcvr lately? This is what one does when you hav ethat plugged in backwards. The black wire should be to th eoutside of the rcvr. If its all stock, it shouldn't be possible to plug in backwards sinc ethe plugs have the little tab to prevent that. If it is all stock, check the rcvr batteries.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Easy Possible Fixes:
Transmitter Batteries
Dead Car Battery Pack
Throttle Adjustment Out of Range (the knob on the transmitter)

Harder fixes:
Debris in motor
Hung Brush in motor
Motor needs cleaning (RC eletrical contact spray)

Its also possible your motor went... the Titan 12T is reliable if you take a lot of effort in cleaning after each run... otherwise they go bad fairly quickly...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is an easy one! You ran in dirt and damp conditions, then it stopped going properly. Although Traxxas claims these are waterproof, the motor needs to be thoroughly cleaned every time you do. Pick up some motor spray and bearing/bushing lube. Its possible that you have already ruined this motor by running it without proper care, but if you have to buy a new one you will want the motor spray and lube anyways, so its a good investment. Any time you run in damp or very dirty conditions, and also every 5 runs or so under normal conditions, you should remove the motor from the truck and spray it out generously with motor cleaner. Spray in every orifice you can find on the motor so you are certain you get it nice and clean. Keep spraying until the runoff is good and clear. Dry it out thoroughly with compressed air or shake it around alot if you air dry it, just to make sure any cleaner stuck in a crevice somewhere will work its way out. After it is good and dry put a tiny drop of lubrication on the bearing/bushings. Not too much as any excess oil will just pick up more dirt. After that you are ready to re-install it and go tear it up again!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, brought it to Hobbytown USA, motor was blown. Hooked a new motor to the battery and it was fine. Got it home to break it in again and no reverse. Called and have to reset Speed Control. I will definitely get the cleaning spray. I run it in dirt/grass conditions. Not going to run in damp conditions anymore. I think that did it in. Owner of HT USA said it could easily blow the engine but running up on something and throttling where tires aren't able to spin, in which in my rookie status, sure have done that a few times.

Now when referring to the spray, are you saying that I need to remove the engine and spray it our leave it in, spray it clean, shake it out, lube it and leave it? Also what kind of lube? General gear lube like I would have for my fishing reels or is there something I need to get from hobby shop? Sorry I sound so uninformative but it is just that, I am. I don't have anyone to ask these questions to other than the hobby shop but without input wouldn't know these types of things. I really don't want to continue spending $25 for new 12T's every week or two. I do like playing with the car but now getting back to work I'm sure I will only mess with it on the weekends which should hopefully slow down the breaking process...I'm not invested $400 into this $200 car (dual batty peak charger, extra batteries, clips, fittings, adapters, etc)
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Rookie

New motor now in, went to Traxxas website, programmed speed control, STILL NO REVERSE. Call dealer back, advised to contact Traxxas directly for a walk thru.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLORIDABOY
Now when referring to the spray, are you saying that I need to remove the engine and spray it our leave it in, spray it clean, shake it out, lube it and leave it? Also what kind of lube?
I like to tell people as a general rule to take the motor out but you dont necessarily have to... the reason I say is two fold... one it means you take the time to pull the truck apart and check your gearing as well for debris as well as that you take the motor out completely and get both ends with the lube...

What you will want to do with the spray cleaner is to spray the "waterproof" motor out completely and let dry... pay careful attention to get in the area with the brushes... then add oil to the bushings on both ends... hand roll the motor a little and make sure the oil gets in there well... then reinstall...

Edit: I forgot to add... oils wise you will want something of a medium consistancy... they actually make bushing oil... but also I have used sewing machine oil and that works fantastic...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Called traxxas, had to hold XL-5 ESC button 1 red beep, 2 red beep, 3 red beep, 4 red beep, 1 red beep, release. That took it back from race mode back to normal. Ran great. Also told guy that I didn't feel motor should have failed in 8 days. He sd unfortunately they do not cover motors under their warranty. Said if it's not broken in correctly then it will not last long. I advised him I did double the break in period. He asked how I broke it in. I told him that I ran it on flat pavement 1/2 throttle for 2 entire battery packs. He said okay that he would send me a new motor. Took my address information and said I will have it within a week. AWESOME! Thanks Traxxas, you're awesome! Now I have a spare motor. Again guys, thanks for all your help! Hopefully one day, I'll have the knowledge and can pass it on to another foe.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Lord

Glad to hear they have you fixed, up and running.

Another oil suggestion - 3 n 1 makes an elect motor oil which is what I use for bushed motors, its right consistency and a can will prob last as long as you're going to be running bushed motors....cheap and at the hdw store.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks.