Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Old world champions and there 8th scale buggies? >

Old world champions and there 8th scale buggies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old world champions and there 8th scale buggies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

arent the jammin diffs the same in the STRR?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Hi.

1986: Yankee (the first WC).
You MUST see this video from WC 1986
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video...986-parti_auto

1992 Kyosho (I participated in that race )
Mugen driver Sanada was the fastest driver. TQ and in the lead af the A-main. Had the fastest laptime in the final. Due to the HEAVY rain in the entire main, his car broke down and Kyosho won. Crono and several Kyoshos had 5 shocks!! The chassis were in two parts, where the whole rear suspension
could move up and down due to a hinge between the two chassis parts
Those tires they are running are awesome.. BTW your link asked for me to download something.. I everyone else go to dailmotion.con, and search for Yankee Champion du Monde 1986 it'll pull up 4 different videos.. the first 14:01 minutes long..
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

i will say i ran my truck 12 gallons if not more and only lost two diffs and i was a lil out of when i shimed them other then that the strr been my fav truggy to date
Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
I think the reason kyosho has really done well over the years is due to support within their country (japan). Japan is a small country with not alot of space. They don't mind spending money to support their own. Its kinda like nascar over here. We have space to race full scale autos, over there they race smaller scale vehicles. Its also a hobby that deals with miniature parts and they seem to gravitate twords smaller things. Maybe i'm way off, i don't know but it makes sense to me
This is not true. There is a big following for RC here in Japan. I have been stationed here for a year and a half now and I can tell you they just take pride in what they do. Every little detail is never overlooked. Sure they do like small things like hobby cars, but the dedication is way different than in the states. I have been to most of the tracks here and have raced with most of the big guys (Kanai as well) and Mr. Kanai is very dedicated to his car. I used to go to the track he used for testing everything and he was there almost every weekend meticulously trying something new. All of his team members were usually out there testing as well. I have also been to the Futaba Buggy Tract where Mugen usually does a lot of testing (Kenji Osaka), but Team Mugen does not seem as dedicated here. I haven't been to the tract that Kenji usually runs all the time though. Can't find it right now. But the Mugen team is not nearly as big as Team Kyosho here. That is the difference. You would also be surprised to know that kits are the same price as in the states. The only time I can get anything cheaper is when the yen rate is up. But that really isn't going to happen anytime soon, so who cares right. Also, the tracks here are WAY more technical than in the states. The tracks are tight and narrow, plus the jumps make it very challenging. Once you go to the bigger tracks, it sometimes makes things easier.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
Those tires they are running are awesome.. BTW your link asked for me to download something.. I everyone else go to dailmotion.con, and search for Yankee Champion du Monde 1986 it'll pull up 4 different videos.. the first 14:01 minutes long..
Hmm.. The link are from Neobuggy.

Here is another
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8j...986-parti_auto
Yes, 14.01 minutes long and they speak french!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its kinda like nascar over here. We have space to race full scale autos, over there they race smaller scale vehicles. Its also a hobby that deals with miniature parts and they seem to gravitate twords smaller things. Maybe i'm way off, i don't know but it makes sense to me
You are way off! Japan has many and some of the best circuits in the world that includes an oval that Indycar race on each year
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think the reason kyosho has really done well over the years is due to support within their country (japan). Japan is a small country with not alot of space. They don't mind spending money to support their own. Its kinda like nascar over here. We have space to race full scale autos, over there they race smaller scale vehicles. Its also a hobby that deals with miniature parts and they seem to gravitate twords smaller things. Maybe i'm way off, i don't know but it makes sense to me
Pavidis and Degani don't look Japanese to me.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Hi.

1986: Yankee (the first WC).
You MUST see this video from WC 1986
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video...986-parti_auto

1992 Kyosho (I participated in that race )
Mugen driver Sanada was the fastest driver. TQ and in the lead af the A-main. Had the fastest laptime in the final. Due to the HEAVY rain in the entire main, his car broke down and Kyosho won. Crono and several Kyoshos had 5 shocks!! The chassis were in two parts, where the whole rear suspension
could move up and down due to a hinge between the two chassis parts
Boy, that video really takes me back! This is what allows us to see how far our current cars have come, the buggies in the video were bouncing around so much that they could barely remain upright. Softer tires, suspensions & big-bore shocks make a big difference

Just the same, I'd be curious to see how many seconds a lap difference there would be between an old Mugen/Yankee/Kyosho and a contemporary buggy.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by captain america
Boy, that video really takes me back! This is what allows us to see how far our current cars have come, the buggies in the video were bouncing around so much that they could barely remain upright. Softer tires, suspensions & big-bore shocks make a big difference

Just the same, I'd be curious to see how many seconds a lap difference there would be between an old Mugen/Yankee/Kyosho and a contemporary buggy.

Yeps, back then you learned to zig-zag between every hole in the track!
The old cars couldn't jump very well - just look at the track.

I still remember the German driver Hans Jörg Bötcher (something like that). For the first race in 1985 (German nats), he had not gotten his new Thunder Tiger buggy. Instead of that he assembled a car from old worn out parts from the previous season. His engine was so lame that nobody could tell the difference between whether he drove with half or full throttle out of the staright. In spite of it he won the race .... because of brilliant driving technique

Comparison... My sons Hyper7 are far from 2010 buggies. I can't imagine how a 1986 car would performe against a modern car
Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Hyper 7 would still be dialed!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JQ
Hyper 7 would still be dialed!
Hi J.

Yes, compared with THE Car, Hyper7 will perform very well

Wooops. My sponsor is going to distribute your products
Old 10-31-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Revooooooo
This is not true. There is a big following for RC here in Japan. I have been stationed here for a year and a half now and I can tell you they just take pride in what they do. Every little detail is never overlooked. Sure they do like small things like hobby cars, but the dedication is way different than in the states. I have been to most of the tracks here and have raced with most of the big guys (Kanai as well) and Mr. Kanai is very dedicated to his car. I used to go to the track he used for testing everything and he was there almost every weekend meticulously trying something new. All of his team members were usually out there testing as well. I have also been to the Futaba Buggy Tract where Mugen usually does a lot of testing (Kenji Osaka), but Team Mugen does not seem as dedicated here. I haven't been to the tract that Kenji usually runs all the time though. Can't find it right now. But the Mugen team is not nearly as big as Team Kyosho here. That is the difference. You would also be surprised to know that kits are the same price as in the states. The only time I can get anything cheaper is when the yen rate is up. But that really isn't going to happen anytime soon, so who cares right. Also, the tracks here are WAY more technical than in the states. The tracks are tight and narrow, plus the jumps make it very challenging. Once you go to the bigger tracks, it sometimes makes things easier.
Revooooooo, Kenji Osaka has raced at Futaba Buggy Tract all year in the Mugen Cup. Most of the time with his buggy. I've only seen him once with the truggy. He travels around Japan to race when he is not at Futaba. I agree the kits over here are the same price as state side, but the parts (Mugen) are cheaper.

Last edited by redman3.3; 11-05-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

The cool thing about those videos is the audience. Look at the stands they were packed with people cheering.

Last edited by shifter; 10-31-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
everytime i raced the st-rr i blew through a diff.

it was so tough at one race, i had Ryan Lutz do a 7min rear diff/diff case change (because i won the c main and my b main was after the next c main.)
and i got back on the track, and blew a front diff a few laps into the b main.

it was great when i had a stock chassis on it. as soon as the bce st-rr chassis was on it, i had problems every time i raced it.

i had Tyler vik help me build a couple diffs and shim them a few times, still blew em.
Should have had me build them for you.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shifter
The cool thing about those videos is the audience. Look at the stands they were packed with people cheering.
Amen to that.

When Ole Harder started the first 1/8 on-road RC-track in Denmark in 1978, there were +2000 spectatores for a normal national race.