Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exponential Rates?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Exponential Rates?

Lately I've been thinking about whether I should consider replacing my basic radio (JR XR2) with a more advanced radio that has exponential steering and throttle controls. I'm finding that, with my current radio, its very difficult to make small steering adjustments at speed and in tight/technical areas of a track. I'm still fairly new to racing so, it might just be that my driving is lousy but, I have to wonder if exponential streering would help.

What do other, more experienced people, think? Is exponential steering something that's necessary in order to be really competitive or would it end up being a crutch that I won't need once my driving style improves a bit more?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default hello!

yes it is!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

What kind of servo are you running? Low end or a high end one?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

I'd say my servo is mid-range. Its not a digital servo but its not a low-end entry-level servo either. I can't recall the exact model.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Exponential on a radio serve as two purposes, speed up reaction time and slow it down. You can have more precise steering if you have negative exponential, or react much faster with positive exponential, but be warned, too much exponential and the car becomes too senitive to steering adjustments. In a way it can be a crutch for timing when to turn the wheel to enter a turn on inside line.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

I do have expo steering, but never use it - personally, I hate it.

3 things is important: Driving technique, a proper setup and a well working car.

Driving technique: Practise, practise....

Setup: The setup should be so the car can drive fast, especially in the corners. But it should also be predictable.

After those two things: Ensure the car is working properly. No binding in the steering, in the transmission etc. All screws tigthend, tires glued properly...

After these things: A good steering servo. Good batteries and a good charger. Maybe a good ESC.

First aftere these, I would consider a better readio. (Assuming you dont have problems with glitching or something else fatal error)