Wiki Posts
Search

Which low kv motor from CC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Which low kv motor from CC?

To make a long story short, I ordered a Castle Creations 1717/1Y 1500kv motor last week from CC without realizing it was the air version of the motor. The air version is quite nice, but has a 6mm diameter rotor shaft.

I emailed CC and they are willing to exchange the motor for me for a car version that has a 5mm shaft. So I need to make a quick decision on which motor to get instead. I want to stick with low kv motor and run it on 6s in my truggy.

I could get the 1717/1Y 1580kv or the 1520/1Y 1600kv. The 1600kv is about 5mm smaller in diameter and 5mm longer in length. The length I'm not too worried about. But I do have concerns that the larger diameter 1580kv motor will be too big.

The air version I received has flat spots milled into the can that provided some clearance from the chassis when I test fit it. Otherwise, it would have been a tight fit.

I've got one chance to make the right choice. What do you recommend?

ben
Old 10-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Oh, here is a photo of the 1500kv air motor compared to a 2200kv car motor.

ben
Attached Thumbnails Which low kv motor from CC?-dsc00524.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The 1717 is harder to mount - it's larger diameter messes up some mounting arrangements - I was going to use mine with an RCM CD and it hits the screws and won't sit in the center. I had to get a motor spacer to make it work right. It also uses 4mm screws not 3mm, it is the same spacing, 25mm (I believe), but your mount may need to be drilled out for the larger screws.

No doubt it will have more torque that a 15 series motor. If you can handle the mounting, its the one I'd go with. I just went thru a order nightmare with Castle - I correctly ordered a 1717 car motor, I was correctly invoiced for a 1717 car motor but received a 1717 air motor instead. I called and alerted them ands was told prob woud be corrected immediately. Two days later I received another 1717 air motor. They did get it all straightened out, just took about 2 weeks. The 3rd box I received had a 1717 car motor. They're supposed to be past all teh order probs they were having.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360
The 1717 is harder to mount - it's larger diameter messes up some mounting arrangements - I was going to use mine with an RCM CD and it hits the screws and won't sit in the center. I had to get a motor spacer to make it work right. It also uses 4mm screws not 3mm, it is the same spacing, 25mm (I believe), but your mount may need to be drilled out for the larger screws.

No doubt it will have more torque that a 15 series motor. If you can handle the mounting, its the one I'd go with. I just went thru a order nightmare with Castle - I correctly ordered a 1717 car motor, I was correctly invoiced for a 1717 car motor but received a 1717 air motor instead. I called and alerted them ands was told prob woud be corrected immediately. Two days later I received another 1717 air motor. They did get it all straightened out, just took about 2 weeks. The 3rd box I received had a 1717 car motor. They're supposed to be past all teh order probs they were having.
Hey Duster,

This was my fault. I got excited, ordered the lowest kv motor on the list without verifying the details.

I have the ElliteRC motor mount and I test fitted the air motor in my truggy and it fit. I didn't have any 6mm pinions, so I couldn't check for what pinion options I'd be able to use. The motor mount is configured with options for 3mm and 4mm mounting positions.

Looks like CC is out of the 1520 motors, so I'm going with the 1717 car version. If I have to raise the center diff a bit for more motor clearance I'll do that. I'm going to ask them for the 1520 motor on the note I'm placing in the box, but will take the 1717 if my first choice is not available.

ben
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Lord

I bought my 1st 1717 during Castle's Black Friday sale almost a year aago (was Nov '09) and then we learned their website was wrong and that came with a 6mm shaft. I've been thru all that with pinions for 6mm and they are very limited (helis seem to mostly use 11 - 13t pinions). Castle advised 1717 owners they had made a mistake and the car 1717 was supposed to be 5mm for just that reason - pinion selection and availability. I finally got a new 5mm shaft from Castle, free of charge, in mid April.

Some were grinding the shaft down using a dremel, but that wasn't for me consiodering I'd just paid $180 for that motor....I read about more than one modded this way having brg failures shortly after cutting the shaft.

The 1717air motor wires are extended stator wires and lord help you if you were to need/want to shorten them. The car version has 'normal' motor wires.

I hope they can find a 1520 for you. I thought Castle said they had some 'put up' on RCM or maybe that was about the 1717?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I bought my 1st 1717 during Castle's Black Friday sale almost a year aago (was Nov '09) and then we learned their website was wrong and that came with a 6mm shaft. I've been thru all that with pinions for 6mm and they are very limited (helis seem to mostly use 11 - 13t pinions). Castle advised 1717 owners they had made a mistake and the car 1717 was supposed to be 5mm for just that reason - pinion selection and availability. I finally got a new 5mm shaft from Castle, free of charge, in mid April.

Some were grinding the shaft down using a dremel, but that wasn't for me consiodering I'd just paid $180 for that motor....I read about more than one modded this way having brg failures shortly after cutting the shaft.

The 1717air motor wires are extended stator wires and lord help you if you were to need/want to shorten them. The car version has 'normal' motor wires.

I hope they can find a 1520 for you. I thought Castle said they had some 'put up' on RCM or maybe that was about the 1717?
I actually read all the way through the post on RCM about the first Black Friday sale and the original 6mm rotor shaft issues. No way would I attempt to mill the shaft down. Instead, I was thinking of running a plastic spur and drilling out some 5mm alloy pinions to 6mm. But, I decided to see what CC could do for me first.

That air motor sure is pretty, but I think I'll be a lot happier with the car version.

ben
Old 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

You will be, there's no cooling holes for dirt to get in and no shaved finning so it can run as cool as possible.

Can you image the size of the heli that would use that 1717 air motor? I read where Patrick said its really a heli motor. That heli would have to be huge.

My 450 uses a little dinky thing, about as big as a Castle CM26 motor.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Lord

Ben this was posted on Castles thread on RCM about the motor sale - seems they have more 1520s -

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...&postcount=347

Now you have a choice....